Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2018, 07:03 AM

Default Sightron SIII?

Looking to buy another piece of glass, and I’ve heard a couple recommendations to try a Sightron SIII.

How is:
Glass clarity
Coatings
Tracking
Turrets (feel, feedback)
Ease of focus at high magnification

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 AM

Default sightron

I own a couple of sightron 111`s and they are great.One thing though is the reticles are very faint(could be darker) but for target shooting the lens are crisp and clear-poor mans nightforce!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 AM
Banned

I only have one, but it works well for me.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpindy View Post
Looking to buy another piece of glass, and I’ve heard a couple recommendations to try a Sightron SIII.

How is:
Glass clarity
Coatings
Tracking
Turrets (feel, feedback)

Cheers.

I have had a couple of the S iii
6-24 and 8-32

Overall a nice scope
Tracking is very good, repeatable and goes back to zero.

clarity is good especially for the money

Turrets are ok, they do feel a little mushy and not anywhere as solid as a nightforce. Or as solid as the New gen 2 PST

They focus ok at higher magnification, the eye box is not as forgiving as other more expensive scopes. But they are more expensive so you cant really compare them.

I have compared them to a nightofrce and there is a difference.
I took my daughter and a friend of hers out to shoot gongs one evening. We were shooting at 700 yards and shooting west, it was evening and the sun was going down, so a bit of a glare.
They shot 2 of my guns, one with the Siii 8-32 and the other a Nsx 5-22.
After we were done shootnig i asked what scope was better? They both chose the NSX. These are not girls that would have any idea what one cost more. LOL
So that was there opinion. But the NSX is almost twice the money so it should be a better scope.
I would buy another Sighton if I needed a scope. I am also very impressed with the new Vortex Gen 2. I would give an edge to that one.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpindy View Post

How is:
Glass clarity
Coatings
Tracking
Turrets (feel, feedback)

Cheers.

I have a 6-24x50 SIII. It started out on a 338 Edge but I now have it on a 6.5CM target rifle. It stood up, with no problem, to the BIG recoil of the 338. The only reason it came off the 338 was because it's a FFP and the reticle gets very hard to see in low light on low power. Had the dot been illuminated, it would most likely still be on that rifle.

Clarity is very good but it lacks a bit in contrast.
Not sure what you want to know about the coatings. If it's about glare, I've had zero issues but always have the sun shade on.
Tracking on mine has been spot on and returns to zero without any problems. The only real issue I have is the lack of a zero stop. One can be made relatively easy but I haven't built one yet.
Turrets are good but seem a wee bit on the "mushy" side. That being said, they still feel very good.
I have no problems getting clear focus with it, even at max power. The focus adjustment could stand to be a little bit finer though.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:43 PM

My nephew has a S111 in 8-32x56. The glass is almost the same as my NXS’s but no zero stop and the gold colour marking on the turrets is not nearly as easy to see as the NXS. Turrets feel mushy as well.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 PM

Your application for the scope is not known, however I would have you venture in and have a look at the new line of bushnell glass that has come out this year. In the price range of the sightron- have a look at the Forge line, with first and second focal plane options. The mid line ; Nitro, also very good glass.
I also own a sightron 3 and very happy with it.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Siii

The sightron siii are nice scopes for the money. The nxs is almost double the price , I own both and I would buy the nxs again. I would like to compare the siii to the Nightforce shv since there both in the same price range
Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM

I own lots of Sightrons...there are 4 classes of glass S1, S2, S3, big sky, all have different price points. All are good/great value for the money..are there better high end scopes out there? YES.. BUT for the average shooter like myself I can buy 2-3 Sightrons for the price of 1 overpriced glam scope...I don't switch my scopes between rifles so once they find a home they live on that rifle....IF I were to buy one rifle with one scope and only shoot that rifle forever..I would buy a higher end cry a lot scope......BUT I shoot many rifles with many scopes from varmint to precision work.... So I choose the Sightron EVERY time.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Has anyone had a chance to have a side by side look through the new Bushnell and a Sightron? I 'm assuming Chinese vs Japanese glass , curious about a noticeable difference one way or another.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

I own lots of Sightrons...there are 4 classes of glass S1, S2, S3, & Big Sky..
You are mistaken... The "levels" or designations, in ascending order, are;

- SI
- SII
- S-Tac
- SIII
- SV * these are Sightrons Top-Tier scopes

I've used the Siii 6-24x50, it's excellent glass for the money !

I actually know someone who has one for sale...
Old 11-13-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
You are mistaken... The "levels" or designations, in ascending order, are;

- SI
- SII
- S-Tac
- SIII
- SV * these are Sightrons Top-Tier scopes

I've used the Siii 6-24x50, it's excellent glass for the money !

I actually know someone who has one for sale...
Forgot about S tac never heard of sv and yes Big sky is real maybe they changed the big sky to Sv due to confusion
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Shooting Xs

There was the SII and the SII Big Sky ,an upgraded version with Target turrets of the SII. base model.
Had one in 6.5-20x50 ,if I remember correctly. I believe the Big Sky model has been phased out or discontinued,kind of goofy set up ,MOA turrets and Mildot Reticle.
I own the SIII 8-32 currently,with the Extra fine cross hair reticle for target work ,IMHO it's a very good scope for the money,glass is good ,holds zero, tracking is repeatable and consistent.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:54 PM

I've had VERY little exposure to great scopes, but thanks to a buddy...have a little time behind Swaro, US Optics, Leupold Mark something or other, etc. The nicest scopes I've owned were Vortex Viper HS, Leupold VX3, and now...a Sightron SIII. The Sightron is by far, the nicest I've personally owned. So bright/clear, it's like HD TV compared to some of the lesser ones I've owned/own...and I've cycled through some of the worst. lol Mine has the MOA-2 reticle, and if I have one criticism of it...it would be how fine it is. Ironically, it's that level of "fine" that made me choose it in the first place, but that's because at the time...100% of my shooting was on bright days in the spring/summer. In trying to use the same set-up for coyotes in low light, I started to see the limitations of such a fine reticle.

Considering how much I like the Sightron in it's groundhogging role (.223) I don't see changing that, but I DO see .243 as a better caliber choice. Currently window-shopping for a dedicated coyote rifle/scope.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
There was the SII and the SII Big Sky ,an upgraded version with Target turrets of the SII. base model.
Had one in 6.5-20x50 ,if I remember correctly. I believe the Big Sky model has been phased out or discontinued,kind of goofy set up ,MOA turrets and Mildot Reticle.
I own the SIII 8-32 currently,with the Extra fine cross hair reticle for target work ,IMHO it's a very good scope for the money,glass is good ,holds zero, tracking is repeatable and consistent.
big sky vs SII

big sky = 1/4" clicks, better glass more coatings I believe. 4.5-14x44 power range.

S2= 1/8" clicks, not quite as good of glass 4-16x44.

All of my scopes have target turrets except the SI line.

As for mil dot vs moa I have no idea, mine are either HHR or fine Cross hair reticles.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I've had VERY little exposure to great scopes, but thanks to a buddy...have a little time behind Swaro, US Optics, Leupold Mark something or other, etc. The nicest scopes I've owned were Vortex Viper HS, Leupold VX3, and now...a Sightron SIII. The Sightron is by far, the nicest I've personally owned. So bright/clear, it's like HD TV compared to some of the lesser ones I've owned/own...and I've cycled through some of the worst. lol Mine has the MOA-2 reticle, and if I have one criticism of it...it would be how fine it is. Ironically, it's that level of "fine" that made me choose it in the first place, but that's because at the time...100% of my shooting was on bright days in the spring/summer. In trying to use the same set-up for coyotes in low light, I started to see the limitations of such a fine reticle.

Considering how much I like the Sightron in it's groundhogging role (.223) I don't see changing that, but I DO see .243 as a better caliber choice. Currently window-shopping for a dedicated coyote rifle/scope.
Try to find a HHR reticule (hunter hold over) nice big target dot for low light yet fine enough "hairs" for long range work on gophers at 350+
Old 11-15-2018, 04:06 AM
Banned

There's a few reasons why I have four of the 10-50's & six of the 8-32's - They are an excellent scope and I've not had one bit of trouble out of any of them to date. - They track great & have stood up to use on everything from a 50 BMG to a .223 A.I. - Optically clear and quality built. - One of the Very Best Scopes on the market for the price !
Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 AM

Great scope for the money. I'm happy with the one I got.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:20 PM

Anyone using the MOA-2 retical for hunting, wondering how the center dot is when holding up against darker objects. I have always had the wide duplex retical , but tried a scope recently with a center dot & really liked the way it centered itself on the target.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs11 View Post
Anyone using the MOA-2 retical for hunting, wondering how the center dot is when holding up against darker objects. I have always had the wide duplex retical , but tried a scope recently with a center dot & really liked the way it centered itself on the target.
I have a Slll with the MOA-2 retical, only use it for target. It is finer than the picture you get on the internet, I would not want to use it on an animal in low light.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-23-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have a Slll with the MOA-2 retical, only use it for target. It is finer than the picture you get on the internet, I would not want to use it on an animal in low light.
I would agree with Piker but as a varmint reticule it is awesome.