Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 PM

Default Laminate stock - sanding and fitting

I just got a Boyd's stock for one of my Weatherby Vanguards and had to make modifications to allow the bolt to lock down (the cut out was ported a little toward the front and should have been cut out closer toward the stock). This was no big deal and 5 minutes with the Dremmel and a bit of sandpaper to finish off.

The other thing I noticed - the barrel seems to be "tighter" toward the left side (opposite of bolt) and the receiver is ever so slightly proud (high) on that same side when the action is seated and tightened to 30lbs. That's an easy sand and fix.

It's the fact that the receiver won't seat evenly is whats driving me nuts .... so I have been sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting and just don't know exactly where it might be binding or hitting - is there an easy way to see where it's hitting?

I also don't want to sand the wrong spot and make it worse.

I though about modelling clay, lipstick but don't want to make a mess that I will be cleaning up 12 months from now.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Fit

Not 100% sure but maybe use some baby powder or flour,then bed the action and barrel into the stock and look for rubs??Sorry if no good best of luck
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Not sure if you have a set of these:

These screws are precision made and hardened to make repeated trial fittings:https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...s-hand-screws/
Old 11-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Default Inletting black / Inletting gold

"Traditional way" used to be a candle or a smoking wick, waved along the metal parts , to deposit a thin layer of soot. Some use lipstick, prussian blue or a black marker. A product called "Inletting black" or "Inletting gold" is available - depends on, if one has a light or dark wood grain stock. It does not dry out or soak into the wood. Leaves a good clear mark, yet cleans up easily. A small amount goes a long way. Use sparingly - apply with a brush. Be careful not to over apply or you'll get "false positives". A stockmaker handscrew set is very useful, applies pressure between the stock and metal, avoids damaged guard screws from repeated trial fittings.