Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-04-2022, 04:14 PM

Default 6 Dasher

The 6 Dasher is a “wildcat” made from its “parent case” … the 6BR. There are a couple of methods of forming the Dasher, the one I use … follows.
Left - “parent” 6BR case
Center - neck has been “opened up” to 6.5mm …difficult to see but it’s visible on the lower portion of the neck, …., and then necked back down to 6mm in a 6 Dasher resizer die, then loaded with a 6mm bullet. The reason to “open up” the neck is to create a “false shoulder” which prevents the case from slipping forward in the chamber when the case is fire formed. If it was to slip forward, it could create a dangerous condition. The idea is to force the shoulder to expand forward. As an additional precaution, I load the bullet to a “hard jamb” which also serves to hold the case back against the bolt. The case is charged with a full load of powder based on the maximum recommended for the 6BR.
Right - This picture shows the “new” cartridge (6 Dasher). You will note that the shoulder has been “blown forward”….so now has a greater capacity than the original 6BR.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:59 PM

Have two Dashers at present. Using Alpha brass , Varget , 105 Bergers. Fun caliber.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:04 PM

I “heard” that some “factory” brass was now being made available.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Banned

I went with the 6 gt just because I could 100% get factory formed brass
These seem like awesome little cartridges
Theres a reason too why so many people shoot them
Old 03-04-2022, 07:05 PM

For 6's I have two 6mmBR's and a 244RemAI, which is a lot more of everything- velocity, powder, recoil , everything!LOL
Cat
Old 03-04-2022, 07:11 PM
Shooting Xs

I opted for the 6BR-AI in a 7.5 twist with 107's, didn't quite find a load I was entirely happy with last year with N140 or VarGet ,picked up some N150 for this season to try. The N140 is a bit fast I think and I'm trying to get away from Hodgdon powders anyway.
You mentioned Hunting with these little six's, took both my deer last year with this cartridge and 103 ELD-X's, dropped them both where they stood, bang flop.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:26 PM

I don’t know if there is such-a-thing as an “inherently accurate” cartridge but some seem to be easier to tune than others …. and both the 30BR and 6 Dasher are pretty friendly. Packing a bunch of powder like Cat is with that AI makes holding onto a “6” a lot more challenging.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:31 PM

DLab…curious regarding why you are moving away from Hodgdon powders?
Old 03-04-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Just a guess, but likely because Hodgdon powders are harder to find right than Vitivouri powders ?
I have a pretty good supply of Varget right now, but once it starts dwindling I will go to Vitvouri for my.223, the smaller 6's and my 308's
I already made the switch from Hodgdon and Reloader powders to Vitivouri for my 244RemAI
Cst
Old 03-04-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if there is such-a-thing as an “inherently accurate” cartridge but some seem to be easier to tune than others …. and both the 30BR and 6 Dasher are pretty friendly. Packing a bunch of powder like Cat is with that AI makes holding onto a “6” a lot more challenging.
Yup that big 6 is definitely harder to hang onto than the 6mmBR!
I built it for the added velocity at 1K , our range has some really twitchy wind past 600.
The jury is still out on whether or not it was an advantageous move!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-04-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Yup ,Cat got it right, intermittent supply, price increases and lot to lot variations.
I get 1 kg. of VV powder for $110.00 usually and it's almost always available from Hirsch. Lapua bullets for the same reasons or customs.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Yup ,Cat got it right, intermittent supply, price increases and lot to lot variations.
I get 1 kg. of VV powder for $110.00 usually and it's almost always available from Hirsch. Lapua bullets for the same reasons or customs.
DLab, if you don't mind me asking, what Vutivouri are you using in your 6's?
Cat
Old 03-04-2022, 08:20 PM

What VV has same burn rate as Varget?
Old 03-04-2022, 08:21 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
DLab, if you don't mind me asking, what Vutivouri are you using in your 6's?
Cat
N150 for the 6BRA. I'm fairly certain it's straight across for VarGet Cat, N140 shot OK , but not quite if you know what I mean. I just had Henry put a slow twist Bartlein on a SS single shot M700 that I am using N135 for 68 grainers, it's a tack driver with fire forming loads, seriously.
This is my second slow twist with 68's and N135. This combo I call my Peanut butter and Jelly load, lol cause they are perfect together.
N165 in my new .284 Win. with 180 Scenar L's.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:26 PM

I will probably try N150 as I shoot mostly 105's and 108's in my 6's .
In fact I have never shot anything under a 103 because I generally shoot from 500 to 1K with them mostly .
Cat
Old 03-04-2022, 08:38 PM
Shooting Xs

Good choice Cat, it was my first choice but I was pressed for time last year and the N140 was available figured I could make it work, didn't really want to develop a load with VarGet than switch again right away but it turned out that way anyway.
I'm sure I'll find a use for the N140 somewhere.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:58 AM
Shooting Xs

Default 6 Dasher powder choices

Without doing an informal poll, it appears VarGet is the pick for the heavies between the posters here, but across different Forums H4895 is the go to powder choice. I know VarGet is a very useful powder, but has a anyone here tried H4895 in their Dasher's before going to VarGet?
I also realize it's one of the unobtanium powders as of late.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Without doing an informal poll, it appears VarGet is the pick for the heavies between the posters here, but across different Forums H4895 is the go to powder choice. I know VarGet is a very useful powder, but has a anyone here tried H4895 in their Dasher's before going to VarGet?
I also realize it's one of the unobtanium powders as of late.
I use 4895 in the 6mmbr as well, it works great
Cat
Old 03-05-2022, 02:34 PM

Looking back at targets I shot a few years ago with some IMR4166, 100M aggs were typically mid 3’s with both 95gr. and 105gr. bullets. I think that 4166 has a burn rate about the same as Varget.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
What VV has same burn rate as Varget?
N140 is right beside Varget on the burn rate chart. N150 is slower.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-05-2022, 08:09 PM

Got 7 lb of Varget left and abut the same left in a 8 lb'er of H4895
Gonna trake the H4895 for a spin...
Old 03-06-2022, 06:48 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
N140 is right beside Varget on the burn rate chart. N150 is slower.
This is just me, but I look at the burn rate charts as a general guide to get you in the ballpark, sort of thing.
VV powder is well known to not be as accurate in use compared to their data on some, their powder is very consistent lot to lot, just doesn't always match up with their published Data.
Some Hodgdon powders are well documented in their burn rates differing slightly from lot # to lot#.
I've talked to shooters and read info from UK Competitors on VV powder's variance from the data on paper, there's enough evidence to support this.
Also, every barrel/chamber is different which is why a person some times need to test different bullet / powder combos, not to mention changes specific to an area like altitude, brands of brass have differing rates for capacity etc.
Quite often you will see recommendations stating that when you find a lot# that shoots ,buy as much as you can. That may be a bit difficult given our current situation, but you get the point.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
This is just me, but I look at the burn rate charts as a general guide to get you in the ballpark, sort of thing.
VV powder is well known to not be as accurate in use compared to their data on some, their powder is very consistent lot to lot, just doesn't always match up with their published Data.
Some Hodgdon powders are well documented in their burn rates differing slightly from lot # to lot#.
I've talked to shooters and read info from UK Competitors on VV powder's variance from the data on paper, there's enough evidence to support this.
Also, every barrel/chamber is different which is why a person some times need to test different bullet / powder combos, not to mention changes specific to an area like altitude, brands of brass have differing rates for capacity etc.
Quite often you will see recommendations stating that when you find a lot# that shoots ,buy as much as you can. That may be a bit difficult given our current situation, but you get the point.
I found that I could not get near the amount of N135 they called max on their web site, I maxed out about 2 gr less. But I was able to get their max velocities in my rifle, just at around 2gr less powder. Haven't tried my N140 yet.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-07-2022, 06:48 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I found that I could not get near the amount of N135 they called max on their web site, I maxed out about 2 gr less. But I was able to get their max velocities in my rifle, just at around 2gr less powder. Haven't tried my N140 yet.
That may be because you have a "fast" barrel? As long as your case fill seems adequate for that velocity and accuracy is there, I would think using less powder would be a bonus giving an extra 20-30 rounds/pound.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:19 AM

Reading this thread has me really thinking about the spare savage dasher barrel I have collecting dust in the closet.
Thinking I might get weird and spin it onto my savage 110S silhouette rifle

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-07-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For 6's I have two 6mmBR's and a 244RemAI, which is a lot more of everything- velocity, powder, recoil , everything!LOL
Cat
I have what Cat has except necked to .224. Both with fast twist barrels. Accurate as heck in both cases. For sure the .22-244AI will prove to be a real barrel burner but don't shoot it much anyway.