Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

Default Blacket / Beaver Report

Well people got a chance to hit the back water over the holidays and the report is good...

We did our annual run to Blacket Lake on boxing day and as usual the Walleye kept us entertained for the day,, well from about 11:00 a:m til dark anyways.. We were able to put 18 - 20 walleye on the ice for the day so it was decent for this time of year and considering the cloudy day... We put 3 legal fish on the ice by 2:00 p:m and so went in to shore cleaned them and had lunch.. I brought the chain saw and whipped up some decent fire wood got the kids warmed up and tied into the fresh Walleye fillet sandwiches.... Some of the guys brought left over perogies and ham with a side kicker of cabbage rolls ( damn Ukrainians) but we managed....

I brought the old single burner Coleman gas stove and did the files in some home remedy fish batter,,, ooohhh good... We went back out on the lake about 3:30 fished for another hr and put a few more eyes on the ice.. All in all it was a good day..

Tuesday the boys and I went out on Beaver Lake,, it was cloudy and - 15 with a nice breeze,, twas nasty to say the least... We tried the new ice tent and it was ooooohhh so sweet thank you Santa,, lit the stove and sat in the tent with no gloves or parka on for 3hrs no chill,, had 4 Pike hits in that time and put two on the ice,, one legal Pike and one sent back... Kept one for the father in law... He needs his fresh fish for Christmas on the 7th,,, scored major points there boy...

Anyways lakes at home are biting good but,, be aware of the over flow on them ,,I personally don't think its as bad as some are saying,, ( like the sled salesmen) but still be aware.. Beaver was running 10" of ice while Blacket 12" and its good blue ice and the over flow is starting to freeze over.. The Diesel handled it no sweat just had to keep up the speed for the wet spots...

Jigs / Swedish jigs, orange and chartreuse were again the collars ran at well,, 15 feet seemed to produce the most sightings..

Good luck boys and keep us updated... I brought my ice tent down south with me,, I figured it was time to show you southern boys how to catch some eyes... Anyone interested in going for a fish ????
Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 AM

Great report Walleyes! That sounds like a trip to remember with the family. Was it nice and quiet out there for you (i.e. any other anglers)?

I know what you mean my those "damn Uks!"
I'll be celebrating early this weekend with the wife's family. More food....

I was up at the cabin in NB1 26-28th (Garner, Cold, Pinehurst). With the exception of Pinehurst the ice was too spotty yet to drive on with a truck. Hoofing it is just not the same. Mobility is so important. If I'm going to get out in the XMas break more I think a snow mobile might have to be in my future
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Traffic wasn't to bad on Blacket snap there were a few other people out I would say about a dozen all together.. We were out on skidoos and quads as was everyone else.. I don't think you would make it in with a vehicle well I wouldn't try it anyways.. We run in right from my house its about an 1hr run with quads all on back trails so its a fun run...

How did you guys make out over the holidays any eaters ????
Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 PM

walleyes I was just wondering if you have been into jackson yet this year I was looking to come up and do some fishing.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

I have not been but a few of the boys from home have been and the fishing is steady for Pike.. The winter Walleye on Jachson never is a great fish anyways they seem to get very slow.. Pike on the other hand are always good to go.. If it were me I would cross over to Kinnard and head to the far grass islands and hopefully get into some Perch and Wallys I wouldn't say to not try Jackson but be prepaired to head to Kinnard...