Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Given up on crown land to shoot looking at joining a range near Edmonton. Opinions

Hi there fellow outdoorsman this is my first post here was hoping to get some opinions from you. I have tried my luck at finding crown land near Edmonton to do some target shooting. I drove around Cynthia and west of Brazeau for a full day each but constantly run into radio controlled/private roads. I am also somewhat new to Edmonton/Alberta so I'm not sure what/where you can get away with target shooting so I am making sure I tick off all the boxes and do not break any rules/laws or **** anyone off. All that being said I don't know anyone with a large acreage so that leaves me with joining a range. So far Sherwood Park Fish and Game Association has caught my eye as it is $170 a year for a family membership and not too long of a drive. Was wondering if anyone has any opinions of this range good or not so good or if you recommend another range and if so why. I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Don’t know much about this range but I’m sure lots of folks here will give you the info. As for crown land shooting- go east of the town past Toefild, there are lots of places there.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Don’t know much about this range but I’m sure lots of folks here will give you the info. As for crown land shooting- go east of the town past Toefild, there are lots of places there.
Appreciate the reply. I'm assuming you are talking about Beaverhill Lake Heritage Rangeland Natural Area. I see they have some of that area on a grazing lease with hunting restrictions is certain areas. There is a number to call for more information on Alberta Parks website I will give them a call and inquire. I'm sure it will take a some time to get a call back with someone who has knowledge about the area being the government and all. I will post any info I get from them for others.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:34 PM
Banned

Get a membership at chas
Old 07-05-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Get a membership at chas
I looked at Chas but it's a $200 membership for 1 person and $20 guest fee. I'm hoping to get the wife into shooting so that fee would add up fast. So with the little knowledge I have of the 2 ranges and just looking at the fees Sherwood Park looks the best so far unless some people have reasons to look at other ranges.

Side note, so far I only have a 22 LR scoped bolt action, iron sights SKS and a 12g shotgun so skeet would be a nice option and longer ranges aren't needed this season as I'm learning the basics. I wanted to add this information to the OP but figured it was too much to read as is lol.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Banned

Sherwood park used to have a long waiting list
Old 07-05-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Sherwood park used to have a long waiting list
Thanks for the reply Mark, I'm hoping I have some time tomorrow to give them a call and ask some questions that will most definitely be one of them.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:43 PM

Sherwood Park is open for membership.
New leadership is making great changes for the better.
It’s a wonderful range. And you’d be driving past it to get to Tofield.
PM me if you want more details than you find on the website.
I think it’s still closed to guests with all the “covid” protocol but otherwise I’d take you out

Edit: I should add, I really am not a fan of shooting on crown land (though I have done it) for practice as you never know who else is using the public space and supporting a range helps support the use of firearms

Last edited by kujoseto; 07-05-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:18 PM

Kujoseto, really appreciate you reaching out. I will most definitely get in touch with you after I get what info I can from giving the range a call and have any additional questions. I do really like the thought of shooting on crown land, being by yourself or with a small group, shooting at your leisure. But you are %100 correct about not knowing who or what is around especially in my case as I did not grow up here and do not know the ok areas and crown land shooting etiquette. I obviously understand if you are hiking deep in the back woods you would be ok. But so far with the lacking resources I have anything conveniently close to Edmonton, vehicle accessible and know %100 I have the right to be there and target shoot is hard to find.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 PM

I just want to say thank you all for taking the time to reply to this post and the private messages and heck even reading me ramble on. Really great forum and group of people on here, tons of people willing to share their knowledge and experience. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Sherwood Park is one of the best facilities you could imagine. Rifles, Trap, Archery, Fishing, and Camping. No brainer.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Sherwood Park used to had a membership cap, but after a study on who was actually using the range they de ided to open up for new members. The last that I heard, they were near the number of members they desire, and were considering capping the membership again. I am a me.ber of both Sherwood Park and Camrose, and both offer certain advantages, depending on what you are looking for. Sherwood Park has a longer range, and Camrose has skeet, and a very active action pistol group, and Camrose is usually not as busy.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM

You can drive on radio controlled roads without a radio, just drive slow and safe and expect to pull over for any incoming heavy units. Remember a semi can pull a pick up out of the ditch easy, but a semi that hits the ditch requires multiple thousands of dollars for a bed truck to pull it out, so they will not yield much road to you.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:52 AM

There is plenty of places to go shooting near Brazeau. Not sure why you are having difficulties finding a spot.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:07 AM

Sherwood Park is an excellent range. Has out to 300 yard for rifle and all the other stuff guys were talking about, plus a great camping area, kids fishing pond etc. Membership is still open and well worth the price. If you want to shoot Long Range, check out the Edson Range.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Someone at work just recommend Ponoka Fish and Game Association to me. Sounds quite similar to Sherwood Park but I would assume less busy. Hopefully I can take some time today to give them both a call and ask some questions.

Edit: Went on Ponokas website looks like more than half the weekends the club house rented and according to the site if the club is rented the range is closed. Will confirm with a phone call.

Last edited by WhiskeyMike; 07-06-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:57 PM

Default range

Been a happy member of Sherwood for about a decade. For sure a nod from me.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Thanks for the reply. From your experience in recent years do you find yourself waiting for a bench much or feel rushed to let others shoot. I'm new to this whole public range thing, my only experience with ranges was with the military.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
Thanks for the reply. From your experience in recent years do you find yourself waiting for a bench much or feel rushed to let others shoot. I'm new to this whole public range thing, my only experience with ranges was with the military.
I have never had to wait for a bench, there is lots of space and two places to shoot rifles.

LC
Old 07-06-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have never had to wait for a bench, there is lots of space and two places to shoot rifles.

LC
Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate your input.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I agree. I shoot out there a lot and I have never had to wait. I usually go during the week so can't swear to weekend busy but there are a lot of benches between the two rifle ranges plus the small bore and BP range plus the pistol ranges.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I agree. I shoot out there a lot and I have never had to wait. I usually go during the week so can't swear to weekend busy but there are a lot of benches between the two rifle ranges plus the small bore and BP range plus the pistol ranges.
Right on Dean thanks for the reply. From what I have seen on the website and from what people on here have been saying seems like a good spot to do some shooting. Thinking I'm gonna pull the trigger on a membership their.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Can anyone tell me what the amenities are at the Sherwood Park range? That is; what are the ranges and what is allowed?

Andy 6MT
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Can anyone tell me what the amenities are at the Sherwood Park range? That is; what are the ranges and what is allowed?

Andy 6MT
Look on here. All the details including how to join.

https://www.spfga.ca/
Old 07-20-2020, 04:36 PM

Default Update

Just a quick update for any future interest. I ended up getting a membership at the Sherwood Park Fish and Game a few weeks back. So far have only been out once, it was a Friday morning not too busy. Although when I left around noon I was surprised at how man people where there. The main range that goes out to 300m was probably 2/3 full. That being said the over flow, rimfire, big bore and pistol ranges where quite empty. Seems like a nice facility. One thing I will put out there is they have 2 mechanical skeet throwers that appear like you need someone with you to activate them. I have yet to use them but will attempt to use them next time I get out.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:08 PM

Default Spfga

Good on you. It is a great range. The mounted throwers can be used by yourself via the long string attached. The mechanical launcher, by the club which i believe gathers twice a week- or bring along another member. Shooting is great by your lonesome but greater with more! Soon even guests will be welcome back.

Sometimes the overflow range is booked by external agencies like eps or park. rangers. I always bring another firearm in case the one range is busy so i can wait it out but i am often the only guy on the line. My shift does allow me to be there any day of the week however.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up antmai, I will definitely give it a go by myself.

Tags
edmonton, land, range, shooting, target