Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Boots

Hi guys,

Yes another boring thread about boots. I currently have a pair of Cabela's Meindl. They are comfortable, fairly light weight except after walking through enough wet snow they don't stay waterproof.

I hunt mainly farmland with bush including some coulees/hills. Looking for something light enough I can put the miles on with but also something with a little bit of insulation for when I am sitting in colder weather. I understand there isn't a perfect boot that does it all but was looking for recommendations or past experience. They must be 100% waterproof.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2020, 07:17 PM

How much are you willing to spend? I wear Lowa boots for work and outdoors.

https://www.lowa.ca/en/product-categ...n/hunting-men/
Old 03-17-2020, 07:42 PM

If you like walking, I’d choose kennetrek uninsulated. With toe warmers they’re good to -10C for me. After that you can put booties over them while sitting. And with toe warmers you should be good to -15 or so if you’re moving.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 PM

In regard to Meindl boots I have an as new pair that has the rubber between the boot and outer sole literally falling apart.Dont know if this a rare happening or quite common.Any advice re warranty would be appreciated.I too am looking for a good quality boot.Dont mean to derail.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Banned

I have a pair of the cabelas mendls also
Junk
Leak like crazy
Would not recommend them
I’ve had good luck with lowa but I really like the crispi boots
Old 03-17-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
In regard to Meindl boots I have an as new pair that has the rubber between the boot and outer sole literally falling apart.Dont know if this a rare happening or quite common.Any advice re warranty would be appreciated.I too am looking for a good quality boot.Dont mean to derail.
I had the Cabelas branded light weight boots and they sucked. They didn't fall apart but they leaked like crazy and one boot hurt my foot. They were made in Asia somewhere.

I now have the German made models exactly the same as the military are wearing. These are light weight and very comfortable.

Anyway, I sent the Cabelas ones back and got a full refund and awesome customer service like always.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
How much are you willing to spend? I wear Lowa boots for work and outdoors.

https://www.lowa.ca/en/product-categ...n/hunting-men/
I have heard a lot of good things about them. $550 max would be my budget.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I had the Cabelas branded light weight boots and they sucked. They didn't fall apart but they leaked like crazy and one boot hurt my foot. They were made in Asia somewhere.

I now have the German made models exactly the same as the military are wearing. These are light weight and very comfortable.

Anyway, I sent the Cabelas ones back and got a full refund and awesome customer service like always.
How long did you have them for after sending them back for a refund? Do you need a receipt? It’s frustrating because they weren’t that cheap of a boot.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 PM

I am on my second pair of Danner Canadians, 10" with 600 gr insolation, warm, waterproof and comfortable, 1st pair last about 20 years, soles were wore to nothing, second pair is now about 12 years old, only time I had a wet foot was when it came in over the top, I have another pair of danner uninsulated that I haven't worn yet but got them on sale so scooped them up.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
How long did you have them for after sending them back for a refund? Do you need a receipt? It’s frustrating because they weren’t that cheap of a boot.
At least a few weeks. I had ordered them online so the sale was well documented.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:49 PM

I've been using Asolo TPS 535 Evo V MMs for the last 10sh years. They've served me well on hunting trips, day hikes, and overnight treks. I swear by them.

This post had me thinking I should look up some current reviews so I don't give bad advice. From what I have found is that there is an issue with the soles falling off.

This seems crazy to me as I've had mine through the roughest terrain that you could walk through, and they have easily had 250km of rock, snow, and trail under them.

Does anyone else wear Asolos or heard of this?

Cheers,

Jay
Old 03-18-2020, 03:00 PM

I've tried everything on, Meindl, Kenetrek, Scarpa, Lowa, Hanwag etc. I think they are all fantastic boots but it comes down to what feels good on your own two feet. I ended up going with Hanwag Alaska GTX. I run them all season, mountain or prairie with my custom orthotics and couldn't be happier. I find them a bit overkill sometimes for summer hiking but they're still my go to footwear.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:05 PM

I have both Meindl (Cabela's) and Lowa.
Both are excellent boots. I bought s stock of Meindl wax when i was on trip in Germany and I've never had the boots leak.
You can buy this wax online i believe.
Both are great boots!
Old 03-18-2020, 03:51 PM

Have had My Meindl's for about 4 years now. In great shape and im happy with the water resistance. 4-5 leather treatments a year. No leather boot is 100% water proof. Need to be taken care of though.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:11 PM

I like the Irish Setters, but more often than not I find myself leaving the house with my Muck boots.

I know that some guys don't like them, but they're warm, waterproof, and I've hiked plenty of farmland and bush and never felt uncomfortable.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about them. $550 max would be my budget.
I’d go with these;

https://www.lowa.ca/en/product/tibet-gtx/
Old 03-19-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

I second these. But try them on. I wound up going with the wide version and they are super comfy for long hauls. I typically don’t wear wide shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
I second these. But try them on. I wound up going with the wide version and they are super comfy for long hauls. I typically don’t wear wide shoes.

Yes. Try them on first if possible. I got a wicked deal on a pair of Cbt GTX online. They were .5 too small. Euro sizing go figure lol.
The boots may require a extended break in time but no biggie.
Good luck
Old 03-20-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I had the same problem, mine were Meindl made for Cabelas . They were stored more than they were wore. The material ( eva insole) between the Vibram sole and the boot weld literally disintegrated. I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were made for Cabelas that Cabelas would be responsible for any compensation. This turned into a nightmare , they eventually credited me a fraction of what the boots cost so I bought a pair of Outfitter's which have been great.
Would never buy another pair of Meindl boots again.
Good luck
Old 03-20-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
I had the same problem, mine were Meindl made for Cabelas . They were stored more than they were wore. The material ( eva insole) between the Vibram sole and the boot weld literally disintegrated. I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were made for Cabelas that Cabelas would be responsible for any compensation. This turned into a nightmare , they eventually credited me a fraction of what the boots cost so I bought a pair of Outfitter's which have been great.
Would never buy another pair of Meindl boots again.
Good luck
Were they made in Germany or out sourced? I don't think companies realize how much damage they are doing to their brand name when they try to cut corners for profit.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 AM

You really need to go by how they feel as well. Every brand mentioned is worth looking at. I have wide feet so that limits my choices from the start

Personally I have been using Danners for a long time for everything from back pack goat hunting to simple deer hunts. I abuse my gear and put it through hell and I get a good life span out of mine. The main thing they are comfortable, good ankle support and reasonable price

Main thing go out and try out different options to see what works don’t order a new brand or model of boot offline
Old 03-20-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
These were made in Germany.All else is great except this mid layer of sole.Took them to an excellent shoe maker and nothing can be done to repair the issue.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
These were made in Germany.All else is great except this mid layer of sole.Took them to an excellent shoe maker and nothing can be done to repair the issue.
Just took my Hanwags in for this problem. Shoe maker says the mid sole was garbage. He Is changing out the sole and the mid-sole. Costing me 150 but I like the feel of the boots. Won’t buy Hanwags again for this reason
Old 06-07-2020, 02:20 PM

I love my Lowa's but if I was just hunting farmland and light hills I would stick with my Irish Setter Elk Trackers. They sell them at Cabelas.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:40 PM

Try cabelas goretex silent stalkers, nice and dry and they are like wearing a pair of runners.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Have had My Meindl's for about 4 years now. In great shape and im happy with the water resistance. 4-5 leather treatments a year. No leather boot is 100% water proof. Need to be taken care of though.

Agreed!! I have them as well and love them. Never get a blister always stay dry unless I went to deep and it came over my gaiter. Just need to use the proper wax to keep the water proofing good.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:09 PM

Irish Setter Havocs

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11065...gaAhntEALw_wcB

On sale too!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:24 PM

Another vote for Danners.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:32 PM

Most comfortable boots I have ever owned. They flex in the toe instead of the ankle. They are not gortex though and the sealants need to be kept up.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/backp.../trekker-slate

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-15-2020, 07:34 PM
Banned

Lowas are comfortable but they don't last like they used too. The rubber peels off the front, the leather seems thinner and cracks, lucky to get a year of dry feet. They warrantied my boots less than a year ago. The new ones are trashed now too. I don't know which boots are better