Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Undersubscribed tags

I have never purchased undersubscribed tags but was considering the option this fall

The one thing I can find in the regs and have gotten conflicting answers to does purchasing undersubscribed tags use up your priority points for that species?

I was under the impression it doesn’t effect your priority points but have had two people now say it does
Old 06-18-2020, 05:50 PM

Far as I know undescribe tags do not affect your draws

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2020, 05:54 PM

It doesn't affect your priority. But you need to have blank tags on you before you can buy the licence.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:18 PM

That is what I thought but had people making me second guess myself
Old 06-18-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
That is what I thought but had people making me second guess myself
Don’t listen to them because they don’t know what they are talking about.

I’ve bought a undersubscribed tag every year for the last 7 and my priority points have not been affected.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have never purchased undersubscribed tags but was considering the option this fall

The one thing I can find in the regs and have gotten conflicting answers to does purchasing undersubscribed tags use up your priority points for that species?

I was under the impression it doesn’t effect your priority points but have had two people now say it does
As mentioned above, it does not affect your priority. Make sure you login and try and buy what you want as soon as it opens. They go fast. Like moose tags will all typically be gone within the first hour.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:32 AM

Default moose

In general the moose unsubscribed tags are usually only available in extreme northern WMU 500 zones with poor, lots of muskeg access and also lots of wolves to help you find them.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
In general the moose unsubscribed tags are usually only available in extreme northern WMU 500 zones with poor, lots of muskeg access and also lots of wolves to help you find them.
This is true. Doesn’t stop people from buying them in the first 15 minutes and then realizing they have no idea of how they are going to access the area. My guess would be that a lot of them get wasted.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:07 PM

From now on ignore anything those people say about draws, as they have no clue what they are talking about. The only way your priority is reduced, is by drawing a special license.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
This is true. Doesn’t stop people from buying them in the first 15 minutes and then realizing they have no idea of how they are going to access the area. My guess would be that a lot of them get wasted.
I live in Fort McMurray and I can tell you without a doubt this is true. Most years the ground up here isn’t completely frozen until mid November. Anywhere there is standing water, and that is almost everywhere, it’s after the season closes before it’s froze up enough that I’d cross it on a quad or sxs. Lots of people go home disappointed with late season moose hunting up here and there is a reason there are undersubscribed tags available.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:38 PM

Was thinking mule deer doe hunt with the wife. If she was a better pack mule I may consider muskeg moose but she is too much of a wussy
Old 06-19-2020, 01:40 PM

To be honest, it wouldn’t bother me if they sold several thousand late season antlered moose undersubscribed tags in 518/530/531. It would be great for the economy and there wouldn’t be many more moose shot up here.

For a hundred miles south of Fort McMurray to a hundred miles north there is no end of prime moose habitat. Along with that comes millions of miles that are not accessible by boat, quad or sxs’s. Over the winter and through spring and summer a few moose migrate close to the couple roads that are accessible by vehicle up here. Those few animals whether Bull, cow or calf that do wander close to a road or river get hammered in late summer before the early season draw opens up because we have several different native bands that live in the area. Then the early season draw opens for 2 months and the rest of us take our turn at the few bulls left around. Although the economy has been hit hard I’d dare to say there are still more recreational vehicles of every kind per capital in FM than anywhere else in the province. If you can drive there so can anyone else and there is no getting away from people. Add the fact that there are a lot of people who were originally from Newfoundland here now who grew up hunting moose and still do so there is a lot of competition in the few area you can get to.

This all adds up to pretty poor moose hunting by the time November comes around and the undersubscribed late season tags open up.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
To be honest, it wouldn’t bother me if they sold several thousand late season antlered moose undersubscribed tags in 518/530/531. It would be great for the economy and there wouldn’t be many more moose shot up here.

For a hundred miles south of Fort McMurray to a hundred miles north there is no end of prime moose habitat. Along with that comes millions of miles that are not accessible by boat, quad or sxs’s. Over the winter and through spring and summer a few moose migrate close to the couple roads that are accessible by vehicle up here. Those few animals whether Bull, cow or calf that do wander close to a road or river get hammered in late summer before the early season draw opens up because we have several different native bands that live in the area. Then the early season draw opens for 2 months and the rest of us take our turn at the few bulls left around. Although the economy has been hit hard I’d dare to say there are still more recreational vehicles of every kind per capital in FM than anywhere else in the province. If you can drive there so can anyone else and there is no getting away from people. Add the fact that there are a lot of people who were originally from Newfoundland here now who grew up hunting moose and still do so there is a lot of competition in the few area you can get to.

This all adds up to pretty poor moose hunting by the time November comes around and the undersubscribed late season tags open up.
If there were a Hunting in Alberta Bible, this ^^^^ would be recorded in chapter 1. Every word is true.