Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 08:36 PM

I'm going to go a different direction for you here and say the Keen Targhee boots.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TAR...footwear_boots

The most comfortable boot I've ever owned. Truly waterproof, and the best anti-slip I've ever seen in a boot. I've worn them working throughout the arctic and have never had cold feet with just wool socks.

I've had the previous version of these for 7 years and the only 2 lace eyelets have come out but I had a footwear repair place put new ones in and good as new.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:21 PM

hanwags
Old 06-16-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthunter View Post
hanwags
X2 for hanwags

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 02:54 PM

Lowas seem to be great boots aswell
Old 06-16-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Lowas are comfortable but they don't last like they used too. The rubber peels off the front, the leather seems thinner and cracks, lucky to get a year of dry feet. They warrantied my boots less than a year ago. The new ones are trashed now too. I don't know which boots are better
Which model did you have, I am wondering if they farm some models out to China.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Which model did you have, I am wondering if they farm some models out to China.
The gtx hunter extreme. They were made in Europe.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The gtx hunter extreme. They were made in Europe.
Those are expensive heavy duty boots. Should be bullet proof.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 PM

Boots are only truly waterproof if you routinely clean and treat them.
Boots will pick you. Try a few pairs on, take your time and make a decision. I rock Zamberlan Tofanes. Love them. You might hate them. My good friend wears and swears by the Hanwag Alaskans. All on preference
Old 06-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Banned

I love my Danner elk hunters, had them for about 15-20yrs and still 100% waterproof. I usually soak them down with snow seal twice a year. I’ve got other boots, a pair of the Danner Canadians, a couple pair of Meindl’s, Asolo and some mucks but I usually grab my elk hunters no matter what season it is.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:08 AM

I agree with the earlier comment about Asolo boots. I’m on my second pair in 15 years. I used to Backcountry backpack 300+km a year. These boots will stand up to a ton of abuse and are waterproof right up to the top.

https://campers-village.com/tps-535-...asoa11016.html
Old 07-26-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
I've tried everything on, Meindl, Kenetrek, Scarpa, Lowa, Hanwag etc. I think they are all fantastic boots but it comes down to what feels good on your own two feet. I ended up going with Hanwag Alaska GTX. I run them all season, mountain or prairie with my custom orthotics and couldn't be happier. I find them a bit overkill sometimes for summer hiking but they're still my go to footwear.
Do your feet not get cold when sitting?
Old 07-26-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Do your feet not get cold when sitting?
Feet are weird, some people are cold all the time, others never get bothered. I wear uninsulted boots for coyote hunting, as long as I walk for twenty minutes out of every hour it doesn't seem to matter how cold it is, I don't get cold feet. I wear thinsulate boots ice fishing, and am always warm on my feet. When I was young and skinny I always had cold feet.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-26-2020, 06:03 PM

I just picked up a pair of Lowa Renegades GTX last week and took them for a long walk in really wet and muddy conditions. My feet were very dry.

This is my first pair so i can't speak to there longevity but so fair im happy!
Old 07-26-2020, 07:41 PM

Has anyone had Crispi Wildrock gtx boots? I have been looking at purchasing either a pair of those, or the Lowa Tibet. Tried on a pair of the Lowas, and although the size was 1/2 size too small they appear to be excellent. If they would have had my size, probably would have pulled the trigger on them.

Both seem to be highly regarded, with the Lowa a lot easier to source in Canada.Decisions decisions.

For what it’s worth have had Red wings, Browning, and lastly Cabela’s. All fitted well, but couple seasons and done. That’s why looking at the higher end lines.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Love my scarpa boots now that they’re broken in. Took a lot of miles but wouldn’t trade them now.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby cat View Post
Has anyone had Crispi Wildrock gtx boots? I have been looking at purchasing either a pair of those, or the Lowa Tibet. Tried on a pair of the Lowas, and although the size was 1/2 size too small they appear to be excellent. If they would have had my size, probably would have pulled the trigger on them.

Both seem to be highly regarded, with the Lowa a lot easier to source in Canada.Decisions decisions.

For what it’s worth have had Red wings, Browning, and lastly Cabela’s. All fitted well, but couple seasons and done. That’s why looking at the higher end lines.
Great north precision in Kellowna BC carries Crispi. I really like mine. Would not hesitate to try them again. Great customer service as well.