Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2020, 06:17 PM

Default Snowshoe hare recipes.

Can anybody share some good recipes for snowshoe hare. There’s lots of them around our place, but I don’t want to shoot them if we’re not going to eat them. Just thought it might be good to try a couple. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:49 PM

Any recipe for chicken should work. The rabbits are starting their breeding cycle now though so be prepared for pregnant females.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:54 PM

Inject and soak in brine of your choice for 3-4 days. Then shake and bake in the oven.
Delicious this way.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:00 PM

Default Snowshoe hare recipe

Sounds pretty tasty, thanks for the recipes. Think I will wait until fall though. Wouldn’t want to shoot a mama.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:18 PM

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/4761149...tNgWC1Peg7W%2B
Old 04-18-2020, 09:19 PM

I like to soak them in the milk over night and cook with a lot of souer cream .
Myami:

S12

Last edited by shooter12; 04-18-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:47 PM

Wrap in foil with onions, butter, salt and pepper. Cook in the bbq, oven, or under the bonfire. 3 hours of slow heat and you’ll have a great meal
Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM

Snowshoe hare Sauce piquant

Rabbit: gut, skin, take rear legs apart at hip joints and fronts apart at shoulders, leaving as much meat attached to each leg as possible. Remove backstrap and tenderloins from spine. Brine in glass or ceramic container filled with cold water with 3 tbsp salt, overnight. Remove, pat dry and allow to come to room temp before cooking.

4 legs bone in, 2 backstraps cubed, tenderloins whole
10 (or more) hot Italian sausages (Costco)
4-6 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
2 sticks celery, sliced
1-2 onions, diced
4-6 garlic cloves, diced
800 ml tomato sauce
2-3 tbsp marinara seasoning (oregano, basil, assorted herbs etc)

Boil sausages in large pot, skim fat and discard. When cooked through, remove from water. Peel off casing and discard. Chop sausage into 1/4” medallions. Brown on medium-high in large Dutch oven (uncovered, on stove, all steps using same Dutch oven). Remove sausage, leave grease, add small amount of butter or oil if needed. Brown rabbit well. Remove meat, turn down heat to medium, sauté onions, then add garlic, then celery and peppers. Cook and stir until peppers begin to soften. Add tomato sauce and seasoning, mix well. Cook for 5 min. Stir in sausage and rabbit, ensuring legs are completely covered with mixture. Cover and simmer on low for at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings to personal preference. Serve hot.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:51 AM

Default Hasenpfeffer...

is what I would make if I was able to get some rabbits this year.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Snowshoe hare Sauce piquant

Rabbit: gut, skin, take rear legs apart at hip joints and fronts apart at shoulders, leaving as much meat attached to each leg as possible. Remove backstrap and tenderloins from spine. Brine in glass or ceramic container filled with cold water with 3 tbsp salt, overnight. Remove, pat dry and allow to come to room temp before cooking.

4 legs bone in, 2 backstraps cubed, tenderloins whole
10 (or more) hot Italian sausages (Costco)
4-6 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
2 sticks celery, sliced
1-2 onions, diced
4-6 garlic cloves, diced
800 ml tomato sauce
2-3 tbsp marinara seasoning (oregano, basil, assorted herbs etc)

Boil sausages in large pot, skim fat and discard. When cooked through, remove from water. Peel off casing and discard. Chop sausage into 1/4” medallions. Brown on medium-high in large Dutch oven (uncovered, on stove, all steps using same Dutch oven). Remove sausage, leave grease, add small amount of butter or oil if needed. Brown rabbit well. Remove meat, turn down heat to medium, sauté onions, then add garlic, then celery and peppers. Cook and stir until peppers begin to soften. Add tomato sauce and seasoning, mix well. Cook for 5 min. Stir in sausage and rabbit, ensuring legs are completely covered with mixture. Cover and simmer on low for at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings to personal preference. Serve hot.
OK I'm All In On This.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:34 PM

Default snowshoe recipe

This recipe is from Hank Shaw. Best snowshoe recipe IMO.
https://honest-food.net/hare-stew-hard-times/

Sardinian Hare Stew
I love the flavors of Sardinia: saffron, capers, lusty sauces, stews and game meats. This stew has it all. The recipe has its origins with a rabbit recipe I found in Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of Sicily and Sardinia. It is traditionally done with rabbit or chicken, but I had some jackrabbits — really hares – I wanted to cook, so here it is. The dominant flavors here are the gamey hare, vinegar, saffron and capers. Use the best saffron you can afford here; it matters. It is a heady mix that needs a strong red wine, crusty bread, couscous or our favorite, a soft polenta with butter and cheese.
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
2 hrs
Total Time
2 hrs 20 mins
Course: Main CourseCuisine: ItalianServings: 6 peopleAuthor: Hank Shaw
Ingredients
1-2 hares or rabbits
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus another 1/4 cup for garnish
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup capers
Large pinch saffron
1 cup 1 cup warm water, to bloom saffron
1/4 cup high-quality red wine vinegar
Salt
Instructions
Salt the hare or rabbit pieces well and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Get the olive oil hot over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Pat the hare pieces dry and brown well in the pot. You might need to turn the heat down to medium. Do it in batches and take your time. Place the browned pieces in a bowl while you do the others. This could take 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop half the capers. Get your tap water running as hot as it will go and fill a cup measure. Crush the saffron in your palm and sprinkle it into the hot water. Get every bit, and let this soak as the hare is browning.
Once the meat is all browned, remove it to a bowl. Add the onion and saute until browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add everything into the pot except the extra 1/4 cup parsley, nestling the hare pieces in tight. If the liquid does not come at least halfway up the sides of the hare pieces, add some more water. Do not add wine or stock — the point is to have pure flavors here. Cover tightly and simmer gently over low heat for at least 90 minutes. Hare needs longer, but chicken and domestic rabbit should be done by then. Check the hare after 2 1/2 hours; it should be close to falling off the bone. When it is, pull the meat out and strip it from the bone.

Return it to the pot with the extra parsley and mix well. Turn off the heat and cover for five minutes. Serve over polenta, couscous, Sardinian fregula pasta or with crusty bread. Don’t forget the wine: You will want a big, heavy red here.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:20 PM

I've tried many recipes with rabbit and this one anyone will eat including picky kids

Rabbit Stew

1 rabbit

1 medium onion chopped into small pieces
3 celery stalks chopped
4 medium carrots chopped
4 medium potatoes chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms (about 2 handfuls)
2 cups frozen corn

3 cans cream of mushroom soup and 1 can water
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons parsley

1) Skin and gut rabbit. Wash thoroughly under cold water to make sure any hair and blood/guts is washed off.
2) Piece out the rabbit
2) Place the rabbit in a slow cooker. Make sure rabbit is on the bottom of the slow cooker
3) Sprinkle all the spices on the rabbit.
4) Wash and then chop all vegetables
5) Put chopped vegetables on top of rabbit
6) Pour mushroom soup over top of vegetables.
7) Cook on high for 8 hours.
Rabbit meat should fall off bone when it’s ready.
8) Once meat is falling off bone, use 2 forks to pull all the meat off the bones. Put meat back into stew and throw bones out. Make sure to get all the bones out of the stew.

Add homemade dumplings to it...
Old 04-20-2020, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Bigmuskie;4154197]This recipe is from Hank Shaw. Best snowshoe recipe IMO.

Sardinian Hare Stew

X2 - I’ve made this and it was simple and unreal delicious.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:39 PM

Default Adobo

Try a Filipino adobo recipe. My gf did it with some this past january and it turned out amazing. Normally its a recipe for chicken but worked awesome for snowshoe hare.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=Twobucks;4154339]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuskie View Post

Sardinian Hare Stew

X2 - I’ve made this and it was simple and unreal delicious.
Interesting. I made it with a jack and wasn’t a fan at all. and yes, I followed it exactly. Red wine vinegar is a very distinctive flavor, that I don’t see myself acquiring a taste for.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I've tried many recipes with rabbit and this one anyone will eat including picky kids

Rabbit Stew

1 rabbit

1 medium onion chopped into small pieces
3 celery stalks chopped
4 medium carrots chopped
4 medium potatoes chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms (about 2 handfuls)
2 cups frozen corn

3 cans cream of mushroom soup and 1 can water
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons parsley

1) Skin and gut rabbit. Wash thoroughly under cold water to make sure any hair and blood/guts is washed off.
2) Piece out the rabbit
2) Place the rabbit in a slow cooker. Make sure rabbit is on the bottom of the slow cooker
3) Sprinkle all the spices on the rabbit.
4) Wash and then chop all vegetables
5) Put chopped vegetables on top of rabbit
6) Pour mushroom soup over top of vegetables.
7) Cook on high for 8 hours.
Rabbit meat should fall off bone when it’s ready.
8) Once meat is falling off bone, use 2 forks to pull all the meat off the bones. Put meat back into stew and throw bones out. Make sure to get all the bones out of the stew.

Add homemade dumplings to it...
Yep pretty close how I do em into a stew.
Only thing I do , and probably only to speed up the time, or cook process, is boil the carcass until the meat falls off.

Think homemade chicken soup.
But meanwhile the crockpot is cookin with veggies, onions, garlic, and don't forget franks hot sauce in a fine gravy broth.

Debone meat, into the crock for a simmer for a couple of hours, OMG!!
Add fresh out of the oven buns, butter, put your bib on, say thanks and enjoy.

To die for!!

Great thread!! They are so delicious!
Old 05-08-2020, 10:10 PM

Interesting thread.

Does anyone else find snowshoe hare nearly tasteless?

I used to harvest 3-4 every November during the General season but found I needed a lot of spice/sauce for the meal to taste like.....anything.

Haven't ate one for a while now.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancheroMan View Post
Interesting thread.

Does anyone else find snowshoe hare nearly tasteless?

I used to harvest 3-4 every November during the General season but found I needed a lot of spice/sauce for the meal to taste like.....anything.

Haven't ate one for a while now.
For sure, but really, what meat doesn't?
Don't get me wrong, I have had sheep ribs over a fire, made moose jerky in camp over smoldering willow.

You get my drift. I think we have all been a tad spoiled with all the spices, sauces etc that a feller can whip up or throw in while we are cookin.

Is it somewhat bland??
Yeah it is...

Give me a minute... LOL..

Wow this is really good, what did you do??
Little of this... little of that...

Old 05-12-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuskie View Post

Sardinian Hare Stew
I love the flavors of Sardinia: saffron, capers, lusty sauces, stews and game meats. This stew has it all. The recipe has its origins with a rabbit recipe I found in Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of Sicily and Sardinia. It is traditionally done with rabbit or chicken, but I had some jackrabbits — really hares – I wanted to cook, so here it is. The dominant flavors here are the gamey hare, vinegar, saffron and capers. Use the best saffron you can afford here; it matters. It is a heady mix that needs a strong red wine, crusty bread, couscous or our favorite, a soft polenta with butter and cheese.
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
2 hrs
Total Time
2 hrs 20 mins
Course: Main CourseCuisine: ItalianServings: 6 peopleAuthor: Hank Shaw
Ingredients
1-2 hares or rabbits
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus another 1/4 cup for garnish
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup capers
Large pinch saffron
1 cup 1 cup warm water, to bloom saffron
1/4 cup high-quality red wine vinegar
Salt
Instructions
Salt the hare or rabbit pieces well and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Get the olive oil hot over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Pat the hare pieces dry and brown well in the pot. You might need to turn the heat down to medium. Do it in batches and take your time. Place the browned pieces in a bowl while you do the others. This could take 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop half the capers. Get your tap water running as hot as it will go and fill a cup measure. Crush the saffron in your palm and sprinkle it into the hot water. Get every bit, and let this soak as the hare is browning.
Once the meat is all browned, remove it to a bowl. Add the onion and saute until browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add everything into the pot except the extra 1/4 cup parsley, nestling the hare pieces in tight. If the liquid does not come at least halfway up the sides of the hare pieces, add some more water. Do not add wine or stock — the point is to have pure flavors here. Cover tightly and simmer gently over low heat for at least 90 minutes. Hare needs longer, but chicken and domestic rabbit should be done by then. Check the hare after 2 1/2 hours; it should be close to falling off the bone. When it is, pull the meat out and strip it from the bone.

Return it to the pot with the extra parsley and mix well. Turn off the heat and cover for five minutes. Serve over polenta, couscous, Sardinian fregula pasta or with crusty bread. Don’t forget the wine: You will want a big, heavy red here.
If I'm not mistaken Hank made that recipe in the field with Steve Rinella on an episode of Meateater, looked pretty tasty on tv if I'm remembering correctly!

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 05-12-2020, 06:42 PM

I cook them like chicken wings. A variety of spices and flavours, sometimes fried, baked, deep fried.

Another I like is simmered with caramelized onions, black pepper, and tomato paste.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:27 PM

Out of the 3 species of hare/rabbit in Alberta, do all 3 taste similar?
Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Out of the 3 species of hare/rabbit in Alberta, do all 3 taste similar?
No. No no no.

Snowshoe hare is pink, sweet, delicious. Rabbit is similar, just smaller.

Jackrabbit is very dark, darker than spruce grouse or liver. As much as I dislike the term gamey, well, it is. Very strong. Think rutted up wild boar combined with bull moose liver. I shot mine in the neck, it bled out, and was immediately skinned and cleaned/cooled.

Hank Shaw is a great cook but his Sardinian recipe discussed above didn’t make it much better. I’d feel bad feeding jackrabbit to a dog I didn’t like. Will not shoot another one.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
No. No no no.

Snowshoe hare is pink, sweet, delicious. Rabbit is similar, just smaller.

Jackrabbit is very dark, darker than spruce grouse or liver. As much as I dislike the term gamey, well, it is. Very strong. Think rutted up wild boar combined with bull moose liver. I shot mine in the neck, it bled out, and was immediately skinned and cleaned/cooled.

Hank Shaw is a great cook but his Sardinian recipe discussed above didn’t make it much better. I’d feel bad feeding jackrabbit to a dog I didn’t like. Will not shoot another one.
I think you should try them again....