Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Post Good 4x4 camping locations or tips?

Hello there, I just recently found this website and was hoping maybe someone here could help me out. The last 2 years I have been getting into hiking, but have always wanted to do more camping because I never got to do much growing up. However the best part I like about where I go to hike is that it's usually void of people, with no one around for miles.

So this year I bought a 2012 Ford F150 XLT used. The vehicle has been well maintained and not once been in an accident. It's previously been used by an off road explorer or camper because when I went to the lot to look at it she had mud left over in the back between the seats and the walls, and a little in the window well. There was also a dog dish and a couple other things in the bed.

It's been about 3 weeks since I bought the truck and I am really itching to get out there. I know everything I need to know and I could backpack to a remote location but sadly lack the pack and the rest of the gear, so I decided luxury car camping for the first bit.

My question to you is, where do i go? I've noticed we have what are called PLUZ and Brule lake is apparently one of them, but with many different routes and apparently best suited for Quads. So I am not asking someone to give up there spot but I would really appreciate an idea of where I should be looking and how I can find these random camping spots.

TLDR: Need off road remote camping locations with no one else around. How do I find them?

PS. I live in Calgary, Alberta
Old 05-13-2017, 02:16 PM

Alberta backroad atlas has little camping icons on some of the pages. If you pick one in the middle of nowhere, chances are it's gonna be a neat little campground. Bring a chainsaw cuz last one I found I had to cut a fallen tree of the road. I mostly go north to explore, but seeing as your from Calgary might a bit of a trek.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Go west and north, stay out of the marked Provincial parks because the fish cops are a pain in the butt. Go poke up and down the millions of miles of oil and forestry roads. There is an endless supply of places to toss a tent with no one else around.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Hey, thanks guys! Using BRMB and google I was able to find 2 spots. I'm going to check out this first one next weekend, the second one some other time. Here's hoping this works out!

49.958677, -114.626114

52.117975, -116.183956
Old 05-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Wait til next weekend-Head up the 940 and follow the crowds to their favorite spots-Come back a week later and very few people will be there
Old 05-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Wait til next weekend-Head up the 940 and follow the crowds to their favorite spots-Come back a week later and very few people will be there
Haha that's a good idea. See where the locals go.

Tags
4x4, camping, offroading, random camping, remote