Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Firearms regulation Clarification Please

Hi, I am headed out hunting with my uncle this weekend and am hoping some of you can help clarify an issue regarding firearms regulations;

So I have taken my hunters education and Canadian firearms safety course about 10 years ago (when i was a minor), but I only recently applied for a PAL which hasn't yet come in the mail. So it is my understanding that I can still go hunting with my uncle and shoot his rifles so long as I am under his "Direct Supervision". I've already bought my General Whitetail and two supplementary tags, but my question is whether I am actually allowed to fire his rifles and use my tags on any animal we get lucky enough to harvest, given that I dont currently have my PAL?

If anyone can help clarify this, and maybe point me to the applicable documentation where it states this, that would be great!

thanks in advance
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 AM

"Direct supervision" usually means within arms length. Yes you are good to go and use his rifles. Shoot straight and have fun.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Gone Hunting

"Direct supervision generally means to be physically present, or within an immediate distance, such as on the same floor, and available to respond to the needs ..."

I don't know where the "arms length" came from?

I can't imagine an cop saying "10 feet is too far away you have to be 4 no 3 feet away."

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I don't know where the "arms length" came from?
It is a term commonly used by instructors teaching the course.

Quote:
I can't imagine an cop saying "10 feet is too far away you have to be 4 no 3 feet away."
So how far would be too far?15ft?25ft?50ft?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM

The whole arms length rule is so that if the rifle malfunctions or something else happens the person with the PAL can intervene before any harm is done. At least that's how the guy at the range explained it to me.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucite View Post
The whole arms length rule is so that if the rifle malfunctions or something else happens the person with the PAL can intervene before any harm is done. At least that's how the guy at the range explained it to me.
This is correct. Direct supervision interpretation is 'arm's length' This is from the firearms instructors course. I've taught firearms safety since 1975 and the federal firearms since it came in and have heard nothing different.

Another route to take is contact CFC for a status report on your application. Askf or a file number as well. If it is in the mail or very near completion you may be good to go just borrowing the registered firearms and producing your file number if asked.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Default Rules for all Partners

To BillyP
Check page 22 in the 2011 Alberta Guide To Hunting Regulations (I'm sure you have one), at the bottom of the right-hand column, under 'Rules for all Partners'. It uses the term "direct communication"; (not "direct supervision") and gives a quick definition.
In that paragraph, I don't know whether the phrase "does not need any priority" includes the P.A.L. (firearm stuff) or just the WIN, hunting license and tags (wildlife stuff). I was under the impression that anyone who carries a firearm has to have one. I think the Firearm regulations state that you need one. If I were you, I would call the SRD and check. If you don't get a definitive answer from them, ask the RCMP.
You don't want to get caught without a PAL if you need one even under a 'Partner' license. They have no sense of humor when it comes to firearm infractions.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 10-13-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
In that paragraph, I don't know whether the phrase "does not need any priority" includes the P.A.L. (firearm stuff) or just the WIN, hunting license and tags (wildlife stuff).
That phrase in no way refers to a PAL.

Quote:
I was under the impression that anyone who carries a firearm has to have one.
Your impression is incorrect.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Dusty to use a firearm a person does not need a PAL if they are direct supervision of a person who does posses a PAL.
The hunting Regs and Federal Firearm laws are two totally different issues.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Gone Hunting

^^^X2...wonder if the OP is so totally confused now...he just says forget it..????? LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses, I think it is clear to me now. FYI the general exception that permits this action is in the Firearms act under section 112.

112. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), every person commits an offence who, not having previously committed an offence under this subsection or subsection 91(1) or 92(1) of the Criminal Code, possesses a firearm that is neither a prohibited firearm nor a restricted firearm without being the holder of a registration certificate for the firearm.

Exceptions

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a person who possesses a firearm while the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of a person who may lawfully possess it, for the purpose of using it in a manner in which the supervising person may lawfully use it;

Thanks again for your help.
BP
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 AM

Default Good to know

I didn't realize that there were any exceptions to the PL rule. Thanx for the info.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 10-14-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Tags
firearms, license, pal, regulation