Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Question RV camping suggestions in Hinton or Jasper areas??

After the long weekend my folks and my wife and I were planning to spend a week in the Wasa lake area of BC. With the fires that seems a bit sketchy.

We were thinking of finding a campground up in the Hinton / Jasper area instead.

I haven't spent much time up that way and was wondering if any had some campground suggestions? I know it will be tough on short notice to find a place with two trailer sites available but we're looking into options. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thx
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM

Looks like we have two sites at William Switzer Park near Greg Lake.

My folks are golfers so they'll probably check out the Hinton Course.

Looking forward to maybe checking out the trunk road in that area. Will have to bring the fishing rod I think.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Default good choice

nice campground.quite busy but usually well run. Take a drive out to Rock Lake as its a nice place and the river fishing all the way out is decent. if you have steamer flies or bunny tails you will catch northerns in the local lake. Jarvis is close and is a very nice lake. Kellys bathtub has a great little beach decent fishing some easy trails and a campkitchen. lots of nice things then take your mountain bike over to the mountain bike park. world class facility and no charge
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Lady and I ended up In honeymoon lake campgrounds In Jasper when all the other sites were full. Ended up being a very quiet campground with a great little lake you could walk 30 or 40 ft into without water past the hips. Firewood was split and the campsites were well maintained. It's about halfway between Jasper and Banff so you're nice and central for sightseeing the ice fields and falls and whatnot. Definitely not a party site, was lots of families and most sites were dark at 9 or 10. Just a reminder - the travel trailer sites in Jasper are made for 28' tow behinds. You can get a bigger trailer in there but you better get there early to find one of the few sites that can accommodate them. Oh, and don't forget to make sure you don't take over a site being used, look for the tag on the little wood posts with site numbers. It's not so obvious which sites are already in use as lots of people leave for the day and camp like they're ghosts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 01:08 AM

Default Gregg Lake

Was at Gregg Lake campground a few weeks ago. Good place. Definitely going back. Like others said, most of the other campers there were quiet by 10 or so. We were up around the campfire for a while later, but kept it quiet. Was fairly empty during the week, but started filling back up on Friday.

Jarvis Lake has a real nice day use beach area. Don't know about the campground. Will check it out the next time I go out there.

As for the fishing - they seemed real picky in Gregg Lake. Had a little fun with some perch and pike in Jarvis later in the evening, but figure all the powerboats on the weekend during the daytime made the fish a bit skittish when we tried mid-afternoon. Will plan to go back to Jarvis during the week when its quieter and hope for better luck.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:11 AM

Rock Lake is a bit of a ways back, but it was nice.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Rock Lake is a bit of a ways back, but it was nice.
X2 - lots of great memories from Rock Lake as a kid.

Also, if you get a chance, tag along with your folks to the golf course in Hinton. Its an underappreciated gem.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks guys! Looking forward to spending some time up there. I've been to Jasper, but always went up the parkway. This will be fun to see a new place.

Tags
camping, hinton, jasper