Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 PM

Default Can you use trolling motor in a small lake with a gas motor sticking out of the water

Does anyone know if you can use a boat with trolling motor if the gas motor is sticking out of the water.(small trout lake)
Old 06-14-2014, 11:05 PM

We fish a small lake down south that's stocked with trout... As long as you respect the speed and/or motor HP regs on your lake, it doesn't matter. I cruised the lake with my 4.3l inboard and the CO waved at me.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:10 PM

K, thank you
Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 PM

I would still call
Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 PM

Are you talking about a lake that prohibits gas engines?

I'd suggest that this is not the best place to get advice on this matter ..... considering I'd disagree with newguy on this one.

I know for a fact, in a federal park like Banff, having a gasoline engine (RUNNING OR NOT), on any lake other than Minnewanka, is strictly prohibited.

Call the CO's or F&W and save yourself some BIG issues.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I'd suggest that this is not the best place to get advice on this matter ..... considering I'd disagree with newguy on this one.

I know for a fact, in a federal park like Banff, having a gasoline engine (RUNNING OR NOT), on any lake other than Minnewanka, is strictly prohibited.

ive heard (on AO) someone answer the same question by saying a CO said as long as the motor was out of the water it was good to go, that being said id still check with the co near where your going fishing
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Agreed
Old 06-15-2014, 08:57 AM

We were told in the past that we couldn't. Has to do with leakage from the motor and all. I'd suggest the safe answer would be No.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #4fisherman View Post
We were told in the past that we couldn't. Has to do with leakage from the motor and all. I'd suggest the safe answer would be No.
I would agree....

If you wanted to chance it, I would not have any fuel/fuel lines attached or in the boat, and I would bag up the leg of the motor with poly.

Due diligence can go a long way.

LC
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would agree....

If you wanted to chance it, I would not have any fuel/fuel lines attached or in the boat, and I would bag up the leg of the motor with poly.

Due diligence can go a long way.

LC
if your going through that much trouble just take it off, easy fix and no worries then
Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verado eyes View Post
if your going through that much trouble just take it off, easy fix and no worries then
Exactly!

LC
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 AM

Firstly im guessing this boat ... must be a smallish boat so...take it off and leave it in the truck lol I tame mine on and off every time I use my boat ...and if your boat is too big then it shouldnt really be on a trout pond ...take it to carson for trout ...or get a smaller boat for these situations ... and I would not risk having it on my boat in a lake it wasnt allowed ...your word against theirs if you get in trouble ...I just dont thank its worth the issues..not to mention id bet my last dollar some body will phone and rat ya off...
Old 06-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Banned

I have called the CO's before on this and was told as long as the prop is out of the water it is ok. This question has been asked on here for years, and it seems the answer depends on the CO you talk to.

I don't know why they would not just change the wording in the regulations to stipulate that gas motors can not be attached to the boat on lakes restricted for gas engines, if that is what the regulation is suppose to mean. That would eliminate the need for interpretation on this year after year.

I have sent emails to SRD on this before, and have never got a reply, I have sent them one again.

Last edited by bobalong; 06-15-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM

If you are talking about a gas motor in a lake that restricts them then your best bet would be to talk to a local fish cop. GET HIS Name if he tells you it is alright to just lift it.

As for taking it off - sometimes it is not that easy. Mine is bolted to the transome and weighs a million pounds. If I was doing an extensive trip around the province and just wanted to stop in at a lake for an afternoon, it is not even a consideration.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here

Tags
boating, boating license, fishing, fishing boat