Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 05:04 PM

Default Algae-Duckweed

So I went out to Telegraph Park today with my new TFO Legacy rod and freshly tied flies ready to slay some silly stocked rainbows. Well was I in for a surprise. Seemed weird that I was the only one there when I was expecting it to be packed. As I got closer to the pond I seen blue/green algae along the sides with a crazy amount of duckweed. Cast a few small streamers with green gunk retrieved on my casts. Put the rod away and just watched for rises. Absolutely nothing in a couple hours. So on the way back to Leduc I paid more attention to the sloughs as I drove home, lots of algae on them too. Being just the beginning of summer I’m perplexed at why there is so much on an aerated pond and sloughs in the area. Is this just a freak year? We haven’t seen a real heat wave so I have no idea. Need some algae/duckweed education from someone here that understands this better than I do. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:09 PM

Several lakes I have fished earlier this spring had 2 foot of loon sh*t in places I wouldn't have suspected. My guess would be filamentous algae (pond scum) which starts growing from the bottom getting a head start this year when you throw in lower than normal spring water levels.

FWIW, duck weed which floats on or near the surface can absorb excess nitrates phosphates, CO2 and other nutrients and aid in reducing the effects of eutrophication which is what encourages the algae growth in the first place. Unfortunately duckweed can be problematic as well if overloaded which can add to oxygen depletion when it dies off or prevents sunlight from penetrating the water column.

Anyways all this purely anecdotal as I am certainly no aquatic biologist,,,, but any good angler worth his salt surely knows how to find a reason for his lack of success that doesn't relate back his angling skills (or lack thereof should we say)!!!