Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2022, 09:43 PM

Default Swiss Peux "Speedline' Multiplier reels

I've been using Admundson 'Cheetah' reels with sinking lines, while trolling big streamers in Maligne, and other larger lakes. Their Cheetah reels are multipliers - one crank of the handle spins the spool about 2.5 times.
This is great when you have almost the entire line out, and detect a light 'tick' - did a fish just tickle your fly?, or did you pick up a weed? You don't want to have to reel in your entire line, and then feed it all out again, so after a 1/2 hour later of no action, you finally reel in to discover that you've been dragging a piece of cabbage around the lake - bummer.

With a multiplier reel, you can reel in much faster to do a quick check, and then get back to business! I find that I check my fly, far more often, with the Cheetah reel!

Now I see that a Swiss reel maker; 'Peux', makes the fastest multiplier fly reel in the world; the 'Speedline', with a 4.5 ratio! They're popular fishing for fast, powerful fish, to keep up with them when they're charging straight at you. I understand that Peux is working on an eight weight saltwater version, which would be great for our West Coast cohos! European salt flyfishers and bone-fishers are already using the freshwater models, and just making sure that they're well rinsed in fresh water at the end of each day. But a salt resistant model would be perfect.

Peux are pricey reels - about par with Islanders, but are well made in the Swiss watch-making district of Neufchatel. I've been waiting for the saltwater Speedlines to be released, to use on West Coast cohos, as well as doing more frequent quick-checks' on my Maligne Lake trolling flies!

Does anyone here have experience with a Peux reel ?