Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 10:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Scope for CZ452 in .22

I have been watching for a left hand CZ452 .22 to come up for sale and was turned onto one by Dean2 (Thanks sir!) that popped up and was lucky enough to be first to reply and scooped it up!

Now I need to find a scope for it. don't plan on doing anything outside the norm with this and just some plinking and grouse etc. I am thinking around a 2-7 power or so should be the sweet spot.

I am wondering what models I should give consideration thinking in terms of trying to hit that sweet spot of quality and price. No need to go nuts here but I also don't want junk.

Any input?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-16-2022, 10:33 AM

I use Leupolds on my 22s
A VX1 2-7x33 on my 77/22 which I find to be great and no issues with paralax and I have a 2-7x28 Rimfire on my 10/22. This magnification power is perfect for me. Many gophers taken over 100 yards. For plinking and gopher control I think they are ideal and their size matches the rifles. I do prefer the VX1 over the rimfire model.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-16-2022, 10:44 AM

I have leupold 3-9x40 on my CZs and other .22s. My only issue is the longer set parallax on these scopes.

This is something that I will eventually adjust. But keep parallax in mind if a lot of your shooting is within 50 yards.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 11:26 AM

I have a Leupold 2-7 rimfire on my CZ great scope only wish it had fine crosshairs instead of duplex
Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 AM

The Leupold 3-9x33EFR is an excellent choice.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:48 PM

I have a Leupold Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 with the moa reticle…it’s sharp and bright, no parallax issues and the reticle has 1” increments at 100 yds at 7 power.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I have a Leupold Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 with the moa reticle…it’s sharp and bright, no parallax issues and the reticle has 1” increments at 100 yds at 7 power.
So far this is the one I seem to be gravitating to.

Elk brought up and interesting one but checking some of the specs, it seems like this one has a bit bigger field of vision and thinking that might be not a bad thing. Any thoughts on that Elk?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-16-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
So far this is the one I seem to be gravitating to.

Elk brought up and interesting one but checking some of the specs, it seems like this one has a bit bigger field of vision and thinking that might be not a bad thing. Any thoughts on that Elk?
Larger field of view is always good , I do like adjustable parallax on all of my rimfire scopes, as it allows more magnification, at closer ranges.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:08 PM

I have a gloss Leupold 3x9 Rimfire with the fine Duplex on my CZ. The gloss looks great on the high blue action. Gunnutz has a bunch of high gloss VXIII listed for sale. I just bought a VX3 4x14x40 Boone and Crocket from the same guy. Real good to deal with.

Here is another good choice listed on there. Fine crosshair and adjustable parralax.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-AO-Exc-650-00
Old 05-16-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have a gloss Leupold 3x9 Rimfire with the fine Duplex on my CZ. The gloss looks great on the high blue action. Gunnutz has a bunch of high gloss VXIII listed for sale. I just bought a VX3 4x14x40 Boone and Crocket from the same guy. Real good to deal with.

Here is another good choice listed on there. Fine crosshair and adjustable parralax.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-AO-Exc-650-00
That's a lot of scope for a .22 though, 6.5-20x?

I'd lean towards something in the 2-7 or 3-9x range myself. The Leupold Freedom as mentioned would probably be top of my list.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-16-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's a lot of scope for a .22 though, 6.5-20x?

I'd lean towards something in the 2-7 or 3-9x range myself. The Leupold Freedom as mentioned would probably be top of my list.
Depends on what you are doing with the 22. A couple of my target guns have 6x24 scopes on them. Makes it much easier to print small groups even at 100, but especially at 2 and 300 yards. Also works good for picking gophers out of the grass at longer distances.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:20 PM

Fair enough. My gopher shooting has been more about pasture clearing, not so much long range rimfire work. If I do want to do longer work, I use my .17 hmr though. My .22s have 3-9x on them, and that's 75 yard and in for them. But again, it is application. Gophers or longer target stuff I suppose.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-16-2022, 03:47 PM

Going to be tough to find a Leupold EFR version and if you do expect it to be a premium cost. $500 ish.

Rimfire parallax is always good but that said I have older gloss VX II's in 2-7×33 and have no issues. Look great on CZ's as Dean mentioned and nice low profiles.

They are disco'd but the Nikon Rimfire 3-9 and 4-12 are very good and you can usually find one used in the $150-200 range if you're patient. If you're lucky enough to find a non BDC reticle that's a bonus.

Leupold VX Freedom rimfires in 2-7 or 3-9 are also excellent as others have mentioned. Figure $350-$400 used. The windage hash marks are basically glitter but I dont even really see mine when using.

On a 452 or 455 you're probably going to want high rings as well due to the longer bolt throw. Talleys are a very good option. 457 doesn't have this issue.

Last edited by 270person; 05-16-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for all the tips gentlemen! I am researching and hunting now and have a couple options in mind...

270person - You mention the long throw and needing taller rings. I do much prefer the look of a lower profile mounted scope. Are you saying that is simply not going to work with the CZ452 throw length or more that it is less convenient? That is an aspect I had not considered...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 05-17-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
270person - You mention the long throw and needing taller rings. I do much prefer the look of a lower profile mounted scope. Are you saying that is simply not going to work with the CZ452 throw length or more that it is less convenient? That is an aspect I had not considered...
I don't think you will find a scope with a much smaller ocular bell then a leupold, so if you're going to put glass on it it's likely your best bet. Pm'd you
Old 05-17-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips gentlemen! I am researching and hunting now and have a couple options in mind...

The bolt throw often requires mounting the scope higher on certain CZ rifles, or even modifying the bolt. , to clear the scope. It's a design flaw that was dealt with on more recent models.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-17-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:02 AM

Bob there is a 2-8 x32 Bausch and Lomb Balvar packed in its original box on its way to you it's a compact Short scope I pretty much sure it will fit your rings' retical is fine we will settle up if it suits your needs .
Cheers

Tim
Old 05-17-2022, 09:35 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3500 View Post
Bob there is a 2-8 x32 Bausch and Lomb Balvar packed in its original box on its way to you it's a compact Short scope I pretty much sure it will fit your rings' retical is fine we will settle up if it suits your needs .
Cheers

Tim
I certainly appreciate all the help Tim, and your generosity letting me give it a test run... I hope it will work out decent for me!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 05-17-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I don't think you will find a scope with a much smaller ocular bell then a leupold, so if you're going to put glass on it it's likely your best bet.)
Putting a Leupold on your CZ 452 can help avoid a lot of the mounting problems that people encounter.

I just went and did a couple of measurements on my 452/455 sporters. They are all mounted the exact same way.

The ocular bell on the vx2 3-9x40 measures just a smidge over 1.5 inch. An ocular of this size is key. Bolt clearance issues should be non existent.

Using medium Burris Signature Zee rings, the objective on my Leupolds sit about 0.17 inch above the barrel. This gives just enough room for the lens covers. More importantly, the scope alignment with my eye is excellent.

If I were in your situation, I'd source a scope with an ocular of the same size as the Leupolds mentioned.

note: ignore my ring choices. I use j&p rail adapters to mount the Burris rings to the cz rail. It's an excellent system that allows you to use rings that mount to weaver bases. Sadly, they no longer ship to Canada.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:

You'll be able to open the bolt by palming it no problem Bob but you won't have much room between bolt knob and scope for your thumb and from the pics I've seen of you you're sporting some bigger meat paws. You can pinch the bolt knob like you're sipping tea from a fancy teacup tho if you like. Don't forget to raise your pinky.

I use smaller ocular scopes sometimes as some have mentioned but it doesn't help a ton and they arent as bright or as easy to use. A lot of guys remove the rear sight on 452 and 455's equipped with them as well. Better objective clearance.

I have zero problems shooting Talley highs. They are a much better match than the Leupold 11mm. Its not like they're 2 inches above the barrel or anything. Below is a non rimfire 3-9×40 Bushnell 3200 on one of my CZ's. I needed something stainless to match the rifle or I'd never have a Bushnell but it was only $125 and works very well. Plenty of room for the full size objective to clear the barrel. Not Talleys in this case but what the hey. They work just fine and the gophers dont seem to notice a difference.

Last edited by 270person; 05-17-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The bolt throw often requires mounting the scope higher on certain CZ rifles, or even modifying the bolt. , to clear the scope. It's a design flaw that was dealt with on more recent models.

Correct sir. Shorter throw on the 457 but now you're lugging a 6 lb .22/17hmr with a 24" barrel. Thats not a proper rimfire imo. Nice enough but too much gun
I've owned 2 and couldn't feel the love so they went buh bye.

Far too unwieldy to shoot off a pool noodled window or truck mirror, (not that I would ever do such a thing )BUT the benefit is your muzzle is beyond your antennae. Hmmmmm...glares at brother.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:59 PM

Next thing you're going to be asking for is a 2 - 300 per day per person gopher shoot I bet ya bugger. I just happen to.....oh wait. You've given me warnings and suspensions. I better not.

Mod payback. Hehe.

If you were TC I'd take you but I'd probably ditch you in an area where the closest ranch is 7 miles. Long walk on a hot day in a red snot blowing horse jersey.

Last edited by 270person; 05-17-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Correct sir. Shorter throw on the 457 but now you're lugging a 6 lb .22/17hmr with a 24" barrel. Thats not a proper rimfire imo. Nice enough but too much gun
I've owned 2 and couldn't feel the love so they went buh bye.

Far too unwieldy to shoot off a pool noodled window or truck mirror, (not that I would ever do such a thing )BUT the benefit is your muzzle is beyond your antennae. Hmmmmm...glares at brother.
If you can carry a 7lb rifle all day big game hunting, you can carry a 6lb rimfire plinking or shooting ground squirrels.lol I find that I shoot heavier rifles more accurately than flyweight rifles, I have owned several BRNO and CZ 452 rifles, and all are gone.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:02 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You'll be able to open the bolt by palming it no problem Bob but you won't have much room between bolt knob and scope for your thumb and from the pics I've seen of you you're sporting some bigger meat paws. You can pinch the bolt knob like you're sipping tea from a fancy teacup tho if you like. Don't forget to raise your pinky.

I use smaller ocular scopes sometimes as some have mentioned but it doesn't help a ton and they arent as bright or as easy to use. A lot of guys remove the rear sight on 452 and 455's equipped with them as well. Better objective clearance.

I have zero problems shooting Talley highs. They are a much better match than the Leupold 11mm. Its not like they're 2 inches above the barrel or anything. Below is a non rimfire 3-9×40 Bushnell 3200 on one of my CZ's. I needed something stainless to match the rifle or I'd never have a Bushnell but it was only $125 and works very well. Plenty of room for the full size objective to clear the barrel. Not Talleys in this case but what the hey. They work just fine and the gophers dont seem to notice a difference.

Thanks for this!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 05-18-2022, 09:14 AM

There is no mounting system that makes for a usable height scope that puts the scope high enough to get your thumb between the eye piece and the bolt, so to me there is no point in trying to. All CZ 452 Americans with standard weight barrels use 3/8" rings, the lux are 11 MM as are the Varmint models. All CZs made after the 452 use 11MM rings. My suggestion is get some good Burris Zee rings in medium, mount the scope and use the open palm method to run the bolt.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:14 AM

You also need to be careful in selecting rings , as the 452 came with both 3/8", and 11mm dovetails. The American model is 3/8", while many others are 11mm. The people having issues, are usually using the wrong rings for the dovetail size.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:28 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is no mounting system that makes for a usable height scope that puts the scope high enough to get your thumb between the eye piece and the bolt, so to me there is no point in trying to. All CZ 452 Americans with standard weight barrels use 3/8" rings, the lux are 11 MM as are the Varmint models. All CZs made after the 452 use 11MM rings. My suggestion is get some good Burris Zee rings in medium, mount the scope and use the open palm method to run the bolt.
This is how he currently has a scope mounted on it... He said he included the rings with it which was kind of him but I was hoping for a lower set-up if possible. That said, beggars can't be choosers.

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 05-18-2022, 09:32 AM

So with the Lux stock and those high rings you would need a Giraffe's neck to make it work, and you don't have one of those. You are a no neck guy like me. Even with the stilts, you still can't get your thumb in there without risking pinching it. In fact from the picture, lower rings would actually give you better thumb clearance. Rings are cheap, mount as low as you can for the scope you choose, lows or mediums. Even with 6x24 Scopes on my Rimfires, most of them mount up fine with low rings.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
This is how he currently has a scope mounted on it... He said he included the rings with it which was kind of him but I was hoping for a lower set-up if possible. That said, beggars can't be choosers.

You would need some long face to look through the crosshairs and still have your cheek on the stock properly. Mount it as low as you can while the bolt clears the scope.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:21 PM

Buy a Tikka