Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I don't know where you get your data, but the cow herd in Alberta has decrease by 1.3 million animals (23%) since 2005. There's a lot more old fence being removed and land converted to grain farming than crop land getting seeded down for pasture.

New regrowth has better nutritional value and is more palatable than old dead grass, so cattle grazing generally benefits the game. In my opinion, proper grazing also reduces brush encroachment. I know that some ranchers overgraze and salt their cows too close to creeks, but in general I think cows in the west country improve habitat.

Right now my cows are getting 10 lbs of hay at $0.10/lb, ($1/day) 20 lbs of silage at $0.04/lb ($0.80/day), 5 lbs of barley at $0.18/lb ($0.90/day), mineral and salt ($0.30/day) plus all of the straw they can eat (($0.50/day) and yardage (water, power, tractor, silage wagon, taxes) ~ $1/day). That's $4.5/day per cow and 200 days/year or $900 per cow to get through the winter, and doesn't include death loss, vaccines, bulls, wages, vet bills, interest, etc. and still need to add $200/cow for summer pasture and trucking. I realize that this year is extreme with high feed prices but ranchers are going to need to average $12-1300 on their fall calves to break even. It's a bad situation as we certainly can't expect the consumers to pay more than they are now.
Agreed. Grass either needs to burn or be grazed every year. Much healthier

And good breakdown on costs!
Old 01-30-2022, 01:49 PM

in general I think cows in the west country improve habitat.

We should not forget that, as well as reduce fire hazard.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-30-2022, 03:34 PM

Default Alberta Feedlots out of feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
And good breakdown on costs!
X2, Very good breakdown NCC.
…We don’t feed any grain and only need to supplement while they graze 365 days a year, but nice to have different ideas on what is working for others.

NCC got a better deal than us, our 2021 hay laid in was $0.145/lb and our silage was just under $0.09/lb.. ouch it costs a lot to feed this year. Just glad I kept a bunch of hay over from last year at $0.06/lb to at least help offset.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2022, 01:11 AM

Bump to make it easy to find.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One'n'Done View Post
If that protest convoy wants to build some damn good karma they oughta load up with livestock feed for the backhaul
Unfortunately all they might be able to source in Ottawa is hot air and fertilizer
Old 06-29-2022, 08:31 AM

Default Poverty Line

It’s simple. Very simple. Populations are being forced into poverty as to create more dependency on the government. Everyone is talking about the cover of the book, “prices are insane” but not enough people are awake, that have read the rest of the book. Anyone with logic can see that none of this makes sense, so now start to read into what’s actually going on and why it’s actually going on. Think big picture… what benefit is there in constantly increasing the cost of living for everyone, to levels that will surely crash the economy… who benefits? Follow the money. Lol.

But anyways make no mistake, not being able to feed your family soon and keep the lights on, it’s being done on purpose.

“Something has to give” someone said page 1… well either we all collapse under this relentless pursuit by the liberal government to destroy what a great country canada used to be… or we can pull our heads out of our asses and take back Canada before it belongs to China. Lol.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post

My 5ft 5ish wife standing next to our combined bday/xmas gift from my dad. Whole cow 673lbs hanging weight. Couldn't tell you how much it netted other than a lot haha. Grass and grain fed, yum.

Every year we slaughter 6-7 head in late November. I think this year he's booked 8 in because a few others were looking when everything was spoken for. Price varies but I don't think its ever been more than $5/lb cut and wrapped. Usually like $4.50-$4
I have to think with the plastic ban coming all meat will go back to packaging in butchers paper.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-29-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I have to think with the plastic ban coming all meat will go back to packaging in butchers paper.
Can’t imagine a plastic ban for food packaging, but you never know in this crazy world.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:19 PM

How about an invention to get rid of plastic twine and net wrap? Costs of it are sky rocketing and It gets used for year then thrown in dump. Someone needs to come up with an edible wrap animals can eat
Old 06-29-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
How about an invention to get rid of plastic twine and net wrap? Costs of it are sky rocketing and It gets used for year then thrown in dump. Someone needs to come up with an edible wrap animals can eat
Throw in that mountain of plastic chemical containers as well. They are not recyclable.

Grizz

Old 06-29-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Edible binder twine has already been invented. Google it and you will find at least 2 versions of it.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Edible binder twine has already been invented. Google it and you will find at least 2 versions of it.
Are you talking sisal? If not what and where can you purchase?
Old 06-29-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's new, edible means mice like it as well. that was a pre plastic problem.

Griz

Old 06-29-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Are you talking sisal? If not what and where can you purchase?
Sisal is one and Bionet is the other. No idea where you buy them though. Dont use it myself, just something I remembered reading a few years back.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2016...ream-come-true
Old 06-29-2022, 05:13 PM

The product developed in the UK seems to have gone nowhere looking at the age of the google posting. Great general idea though. Farms touting being organic would certainly lap up a product that was reasonably cost effective. The organic market (including hay) is certainly expanding. Something to look at as an investor for sure. But 6 year old google results really don't cut it.

I'd throw some loot at a company that had a seriously viable product.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:14 PM

lots of hay around here, just ask me who has what hay in this area
Old 06-29-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
The product developed in the UK seems to have gone nowhere looking at the age of the google posting. Great general idea though. Farms touting being organic would certainly lap up a product that was reasonably cost effective. The organic market (including hay) is certainly expanding. Something to look at as an investor for sure. But 6 year old google results really don't cut it.

I'd throw some loot at a company that had a seriously viable product.
Honestly, I was really surprised I found even that old thread. Like I said above, it was something I remebered reading a few years ago. I never followed it so no idea if it ever went anywhere. If it didn't it kind of surprises me. as you rightly said, I would think there would be a big market for that product.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 PM

What’s the price of a round bale today?
Old 06-29-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I was really surprised I found even that old thread. Like I said above, it was something I remebered reading a few years ago. I never followed it so no idea if it ever went anywhere. If it didn't it kind of surprises me. as you rightly said, I would think there would be a big market for that product.
Dean, you darn rights it would be a HUGE market. If anyone has some ideas a reasonable proposal would garner huge investment capital.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
What’s the price of a round bale today?
Well at Rosehill Auction in Olds the last batch went for $245.00....totally insane. Not sure what the "new" crop prices will be but with fertilizer costs and baling costs I would guess North of 100 bucks.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Well at Rosehill Auction......
Suppose it's accurate for some items, but I generally struggle pricing things based on auctions. Was watching/bidding on a Buffer Valley PVC bin at Preimer Auction in Alix today. With auction fees, it went for more than new.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Suppose it's accurate for some items, but I generally struggle pricing things based on auctions. Was watching/bidding on a Buffer Valley PVC bin at Preimer Auction in Alix today. With auction fees, it went for more than new.
Amazes me every time I see that......

I used to hit a lot of auctions....but it became more frustrating than practical.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Throw in that mountain of plastic chemical containers as well. They are not recyclable.

Grizz
I think they are recycled. The containers are shredded up and the plastic is reused in making other chemical jugs. I believe a company comes to the collection sites and grinds them on site.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Olds College has a Team working on the development of a biowrap product. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:50 PM

Um..

Before plastics twine there was… already biodegradable stuff… no?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-03-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Um..

Before plastics twine there was… already biodegradable stuff… no?
Yup, It was called sisal. I actually saw it offered for sale the other day in one of those mail box flyers.

Grizz