Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 08:00 PM

Default Stay safe on the water all!

Well the holiday weekend is pretty much over but friendly reminder to all those water recreating this summer please be safe and smart! Don’t drink and boat and for the love of mud have enough PFDs on board if not wearing them! Had a near miss this weekend involving a mom and 2 kids under 12 and a fatality in another situation. Top 2 reasons are alcohol and lack of PFDs. Our holiday is tomorrow and I cringe what will happen as these things come in 3s….
Old 07-03-2022, 08:06 PM
Banned

Thanks for the PSA Lake Havasu might be a gong show
Old 07-03-2022, 08:20 PM

Rescued a family off Minnewanka few years back. Dad, Mom, 3 teenagers in a 16 ft fiberglass. Motor troubles on a cold, deep lake........We towed them from the south side a few miles from the dock. No life jackets.

Good reminder, stay safe!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-04-2022, 07:59 AM

Default Good Reminder Ford Truckin

A very good reminder. I keep spare life jackets for guests who join in. I am going to take the spare’s out and see if they are still buoyant. Something I do every spring. They are in good shape by inspection, will take a plunge.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Rescued a family off Minnewanka few years back. Dad, Mom, 3 teenagers in a 16 ft fiberglass. Motor troubles on a cold, deep lake........We towed them from the south side a few miles from the dock. No life jackets.

I very much doubt live jackets would save you in that lake. overloading and the unexpected can kill you just as easily.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-04-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

That is a scary situation. Glad you were there to help!
Old 07-04-2022, 01:13 PM

I always have at least 2 -3 extra floatation gear usually no less than 4 in boat. Tow rope, extra pull cord, boat plug. Tools and other parts. Many other things. Have done a few rescues over the years. Nothing too serious but they would be hard pressed to get back to shore by themselves. Be Safe, Be Smart, Be Prepared.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:42 PM

Bad things happen on the water every year, even when booze and PFDs aren't the issue. One of the Jays coaches lost his daughter just a couple days ago in a boating accident, poor girl was only 17. It can all happen so fast.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/daughter-...-u-s-1.5973459

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-04-2022, 08:48 PM

Ahhh the days of my youth, never much of a swimmer, almost drowned twice,
Once at ambleside in west van, dad pulled me out after I slipped off inner tube pretty young then, second one in osoyoos lake when I tried to swim the oars out to brother and cousins in a rubber raft, they thought I was kidding my brother knew it was real.
Then I was visiting a buddy in Nelson BC and we took his dads boat out on the lake and took five cases of beer with us, finished three of them and when I jumped overboard to pee I had trouble getting back in boat, buddy was able to pull me in.
Takes only a second of stupidity or being careless and you can be gone.