Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 11:34 PM

Default New Hunting Dog in the House (Pic Heavy)

Well, I figured it was about time I did a thread on the new hunting dog in our home. We got her at 9 weeks, and she is 10 months old now, but out of respect for a number of forum members who had lost their four legged best buddies, I held off. But having lost our oldest dog three weeks ago, I am glad I did. These animals come into our lives, steal our hearts, and then rip them out. However, we keep signing up, because for dog guys, there is no better thing on earth than the special bond between a hunter and his dog.

My Lab is only 4 years old, so getting another dog was not on my radar. However, a year ago, after my son graduated from high school, he wrote me a text begging me for a dog of his own, and letting me know the extent of the how much he missed out on in his high school experience due to Covid. He also talked about how my stories of the adventures and great times I had with my first good hunting dog that I got while in high school affected him (picture below).

It was hard for me to argue. I told him yes, but with a caveat which was that the Honda CBR600R in the garage be sold, a good chunk of that money be set aside for future unforeseen vet costs, and that there would be no more motorcycles while under my roof, and he must give his word. He agreed. So the hunt for a pup was on.

A serious bird dog guy I work with was on the hunt for a pup to replace his English Pointer who had recently been poisoned, along with other pets in the neighborhood, so we joined in the fun. Eventually we settled on getting two pups from a seriously hot blooded field trial breeding in Northern California, as I’ve always believed with bird dogs it is hard to push a rope. Three of the four grandparents were national champions; that sounds kinda cool except that in the back of your mind you damn well know that may sound good in the field, but not so much in the house

Anyhow, I have thrown myself into training this absolutely lovely little dog with my son. She has got all the right stuff, but as I feared, a real handful in the house, and needs an honest hour of strenuous activity and stimulation. The good news is that she actually has calmed right down, and has learned the routines of the house quite nicely. And the best thing of all is her and the Lab are best of pals.

Here are some pics of her doing her thing. Guys, this one came out of the womb pointing intensely. She lives for birds, and we ensure she gets them, as you can’t make a bird dog without birds. I hope you enjoy them. Thanks for reading.

We are shooting birds over her in training, and she is retrieving to hand naturally. Honestly, we are just tickled pink and are soaking forward to a lot of bird hunting this fall. This last pic was two days ago.

She is sticking her birds at a good distance, stopping as soon as she hits the scent cone. Launchers used correctly sure do help. In the pic above, I paced off the launcher from where she was locked up at well over 50 yards away. And she stands em until my son or I get up for the flush. You really can’t ask for more from a pup. I always leave training sessions with my son shaking my head, and telling him that he has got a good one on his hands. Truth is, just as often, I am shaking my head, and thinking how lucky I am to see my son developing a passion for hunting dogs in the same way, at the same age, as I did. The pup he ended up with is even a carbon copy of my fav shorthair I got while in high school. Life is good.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:26 AM

Pretty awesome, man! Thanks for the thread! And congrats to you and your son! You are doing it right.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:20 AM

So many good things about this, but mostly I see the time you spend with your son as the biggest reward of all. You can't buy lost time back in life, and the memories you three are building, you can't put a price tag on. Beautiful.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-29-2022, 05:15 AM

Beautiful.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-29-2022, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Wow, gorgeous pup, you got it right working together with your son.
Keep the updates coming.....awesome!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2022, 06:14 AM

You just brought back a flood of memories from my youth in Saskatchewan. Great looking pooch. Enjoy.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:42 AM

Default Good for you

Wow she looks just like my new PP pup, all dark brown. She and I are learning to swim now. Not me her. She is pulling me into the water on the first lesson. It looks to be a busy summer. See you this fall.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Wow she looks just like my new PP pup, all dark brown. She and I are learning to swim now. Not me her. She is pulling me into the water on the first lesson. It looks to be a busy summer. See you this fall.
I would look forward to it, and it goes without saying that Nick would for sure love to hunt with you again, especially cuz you both have pups! I think that would be very cool.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:55 AM

Excellent thread! Thanx for sharing...
Old 06-29-2022, 07:16 AM

Beautiful stylish dog, you'll get many years of joy from her. I'll be training 2 pups this year for friends which as you know is a joy itself and I finally found a supply of quail though a bit pricey.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:32 AM

Excellent --- what a great looking dog and in a wonderful home where she will get tons of outdoor (bird) activity.

Good on you with the choices for your son as well. I think we will need to arrange a couple of days in the field this fall. Pointer in the morning / flusher in the afternoon.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:42 AM

Awesome
Old 06-29-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Excellent --- what a great looking dog and in a wonderful home where she will get tons of outdoor (bird) activity.

Good on you with the choices for your son as well. I think we will need to arrange a couple of days in the field this fall. Pointer in the morning / flusher in the afternoon.
Let's do it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2022, 08:20 AM

What a great thread ! I hope you and your son have make many memories with your new addition.. Nothing like hunting over your best friend, thanks for sharing the pictures, all the best this fall.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:01 AM

Default Just a hint

You and the dog are doing great. IMO she can do without the leash. If I’m wrong just put it back on her. She looks very solid on her points, and part of the money you paid for her is for the intelligence. So in keeping with my mantra of “Don’t bore the dog “ keep upping the challenge.She will amaze you.
Your son has out grown his allergies? I hope so.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:07 AM
AO Sponsor

I love this thread man! I know how much fun having a dog like this is for you all... So Awesome!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-30-2022, 11:29 AM

I am looking forward to seeing her in action this fall,
it should be fun watching her work with my beast. ,
Old 06-30-2022, 10:04 PM

Awesome thread!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-01-2022, 08:12 AM

Default Butchie

He will be the only male. He will have to be the leader of the pack. How old is he now? Are you guys still running every day?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:13 AM

What a great looking dog , Born to hunt.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
He will be the only male. He will have to be the leader of the pack. How old is he now? Are you guys still running every day?
He is six now, and yes, we run in the field every day.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:33 PM

Awesome looking female sns2.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:42 PM

Awesome post Sir! A great looking pup and wishing you all the best this fall. Good times are coming!
Old 07-03-2022, 11:22 AM

Nice looking pup. I like the colour a lot. Sounds like he will be easy to break.

Im also working a young dog (pointer) from California we picked up late last fall. We got 35 secs yesterday on point before he busted. Fun times.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:57 PM

Is your pup out of Trace?
Old 07-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Banned

Awesome post.