Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Ok so they cant handle the amount of people that want to fly so instead of increasing flights they're cutting them? Am I reading that wrong?
No. The airlines can handle it. The airports can’t.

Security screening has at times taken 9 hours.

Flight crew gets stuck in security lines and delays put them over the allowed maximum work times. So the plane is delayed while getting another crew who also gets stuck.

It’s a gong show compounded by some pandemic rules. Still… appears mainly a staffing and logistics issue.

Ground crews don’t have a system for increased work load. Luggage handling is a dance that few know the steps to.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-01-2022, 09:06 AM

Air Canada now has less than 50% of the employees that they had before the pandemic started, so they tried to run 100% of their flights with 50% manpower, ???? show, so it seems that they are trying to stay with 50% of their flights that they can run efficiently. All the airlines in the world today are having the same problems, Air Canada is not unique. There are other industries out there that are having the same problem, manpower shortage. A ticket agent with AC requires 6 weeks minimum training, and a rampy needs 3 weeks. Can't train them if no one is available to be hired.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Flight crew gets stuck in security lines and delays put them over the allowed maximum work times. So the plane is delayed while getting another crew who also gets stuck.

It’s a gong show compounded by some pandemic rules. Still… appears mainly a staffing and logistics issue.

Ground crews don’t have a system for increased work load. Luggage handling is a dance that few know the steps to.
You could probably speed up security by not having to scan you board pass 4 or 5 times while waiting in the same stupid line. Or by not having 6 people telling you to follow the signs or barriers
Old 07-01-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

I see, I've heard lots of horror stories about air Canada lately but nothing about west jet or others though. And they all use the same services. I fly once a year for a winter vacation so I'm outta the loop.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:56 PM

Default Less flights = Higher Ticket Prices

The law of supply and demand.

Before the announcements of AC cutting back flights I had checked prices for a return flight to TO for late August, yesterday the same flight on the same days indicated a price increase of $400 dollars from a few days earlier, that was for business class seating.

So folks if your planning on travelling this summer be prepared for big increases in ticket prices and short supply of seating. So if your serious on booking be prepared to hit that "buy" button pretty darn quick.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:42 AM

The last time I flew with AC was from St.John's NFLD back to River City and cause of their screwup I went from a direct flight to having to go from St.John's to Vancouver, to Calgary back to YEG. Took about 15 hours, FUN!

Not to worry, Air Canada is in La Belle Province so Zoolander will keep shoveling tax payers money at them so all their execs can still receive their ABSURD bonuses

https://globalnews.ca/news/7915260/a...covid-layoffs/
Old 07-02-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I see, I've heard lots of horror stories about air Canada lately but nothing about west jet or others though. And they all use the same services. I fly once a year for a winter vacation so I'm outta the loop.
The biggest problem so far is Pearson in Toronto. Also because it’s Ontario it’s news worthy.

Westjet yesterday said they adjusted down their flights by over 30% in anticipation of problems at that airport.

I also wonder if Air Canada just has far more flights daily. They have more planes. https://simpleflying.com/air-canada-...t-fleets-2022/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-02-2022, 03:23 PM

Just finished breakfast in Papua New Guinea.
News headlines from Australia
“Chaotic scenes at airports amid struggle to meet demand”
This is not an Air Canada problem but a worldwide one
Old 07-03-2022, 06:09 AM

Yes this is a world wide problem not just air canada, the ticket prices have to go up, fuel has doubled, most airports are still running at about 1/2 staff since covid and are having the same trouble as the rest of the businesses in getting employees, welcome to the new post covid world folks.

Just for the record I worked overseas for years and AC has been a cluster for a long time, used to refer to them as air garbage can and avoid them like the plague if there was a choice. I still have over 400,000 air miles with Aeroplan and have been using them for hotels, in fact I am in Calgary now for 4 nights on my miles.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:54 AM

The part you guys are missing is Air Canada was only back to 50% of pre Covid volumes and they still have to cut back. All the major airlines in the G7 received huge subsidies to retain workers yet they all laid off 30-50% of their work forces and pocketed the cash. Just because there are so many terribly run airlines and airports does not give AC a pass. Aviation in my books was uninvestable pre-Covid because it is such a universally badly run industry. Post Covid the atrocious performance of the executive and boards are on clear display. There is no way we should be making excuses for the total failure of AC to properly prepare for increased passenger volume. The excuse that I am only a little worse than so many others doesn't cut it.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:35 AM

Some people like to pick at AC...All airline and airports have problems.
Here is another one
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/be-pre...haos-1.5972450