Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Recommend fish taxidermist ?

Hey guys, looking for recommendations for getting some perch replicas done. Had a card from a guy from the sportsmen show from a few years ago that had some awesome replicas but have lost his card. Also anywhere not to deal with will help as well.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM

I don't really know of anyone local anymore, some good taxidermists in the area but I don't think any of them do fish.

If you want a replica then Advanced Taxidermy in Toronto is a no brainer and does awesome work and will ship.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Banned

Best replica mounts made are Advanced Taxidermy. They have a flat rate of $500 for all mounts up to 20” in length and done as wall mounts. Habitats, boards, driftwood etc are extra. My Lake Trout should be done any day now and then I have a pair of bass for them to do next. A 19” largemouth and a 20” smallmouth. The smallmouth was my pb to date (and though the largemouth was not, I have caught one just under 22”) it was very unique in that I caught it while ice fishing for walleye and the colour was unlike any I have ever caught in that or any other body of water. It’s also the same lake I got my pb largemouth in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D158DF90-B882-49C5-B076-FAC2B7572B8B.jpg (25.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpeg D2000EA2-7440-4DA2-B714-0BE435FB1DE4.jpeg (34.8 KB, 271 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4MooseHunting View Post
Hey guys, looking for recommendations for getting some perch replicas done. Had a card from a guy from the sportsmen show from a few years ago that had some awesome replicas but have lost his card. Also anywhere not to deal with will help as well.

Thanks
Are you looking for replicas or skin mounts?

There are both right here in AB. For replicas it would likely be hard to find anyone that could beat Advanced Taxidermy - I recently talked with one of the owners and they invented the technique. That said, I did find a mom/pop shop near Red Deer that looked to have excellent replicas.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 AM

These are pretty neat, rubbery feeling, fins are flexible.
http://site.flexfish.com
Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 PM

I reread the post and obviously replicas ...duh to me.

I was looking around recently at taxidermists and did find a couple in central AB that I thought were worth a 2nd look. So just in case you are wanting to stick to AB it might be worth giving these two a closer look:

http://www.schaferstudiostaxidermy.c...n_Alberta.html

http://www.sugarcreektaxidermy.ca/fish.html
Old 03-31-2018, 06:28 PM

Sugar Creek no longer handles fish.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 PM

I bet the guy whom you lost his contact is Ben at Art of Taxidermy from Lethbridge.
He does some amazing replicas, check him out for yourself http://www.artoftaxidermy.com/fish.html

he is a sponsor of this site too.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:15 PM

My vote goes to Art of Taxidermy, in Alberta anyway. The detail on those perch is awesome!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:00 PM

Sounds like Ben at Art of Taxidermy is charging $37/inch for one sided replicas and $45/inch for double sided. Beautiful work, and great guy to answer your questions.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

There are both right here in AB. For replicas it would likely be hard to find anyone that could beat Advanced Taxidermy - I recently talked with one of the owners and they invented the technique. That said, I did find a mom/pop shop near Red Deer that looked to have excellent replicas.
I believe Hawkins Taxidermy out of Winnipeg came up with the original idea

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

Personally Im a big fan of taxidermy, and I have talked to Advanced Taxidermy and also happen to meet one of the taxidermists (not going to name) who works there in Ontario.. I gotta tell you that you shouldn't believe all of what they say. they are so full of themselves and believe they are one of the biggest in the WORLD.... hahaha.. they might have a bigger operation in Canada in compare to most, "which dent necessarily means better quality either" ,but in world scale ????? think again.
When I spoke with them first on the phone, they so lubed up themselves for me and that couldn't turn me away quick enough, instead of explaining their service details, their most concern was to say how better they were from ANYBODY ELSE in the country,.. specially western Taxidermists... that kind of advertising is the worst in my mind, and I never bothered talking to them again... so Im not surprised to hear if they said they invented the Replica Idea... they probably invented the whole Taxidermy industry too... hahahaha
Old 04-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Personally Im a big fan of taxidermy, and I have talked to Advanced Taxidermy and also happen to meet one of the taxidermists (not going to name) who works there in Ontario.. I gotta tell you that you shouldn't believe all of what they say. they are so full of themselves and believe they are one of the biggest in the WORLD.... hahaha.. they might have a bigger operation in Canada in compare to most, "which dent necessarily means better quality either" ,but in world scale ????? think again.
When I spoke with them first on the phone, they so lubed up themselves for me and that couldn't turn me away quick enough, instead of explaining their service details, their most concern was to say how better they were from ANYBODY ELSE in the country,.. specially western Taxidermists... that kind of advertising is the worst in my mind, and I never bothered talking to them again... so Im not surprised to hear if they said they invented the Replica Idea... they probably invented the whole Taxidermy industry too... hahahaha
So who did you get to do your replicas?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
So who did you get to do your replicas?
I got Ben's replica now at Art of Taxidermy.