Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default Federal Trophy Bonded Tip Bullets

Has anyone done any reloading with these bullets from Federal? They're a new component bullet on the market although Federal has loaded them for awhile now.
Federal's information contact line has been less than helpful.

I'm curious on how far off the lands they should be seated. Are they like a mono-metal bullet and require about 0.050" (Barnes) or are they more like a standard cup and core bullet?
The bullet design appears to be a bit of a hybrid and also nickel plated.

I'm looking at their .284 160gr specifically.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 PM

I believe they are harder type kinda like a swift S2 but probably less than tsx/ttsx. Think ya got the right idea to start a 50 off, I wouldn't want to go closer than 30 maybe.
I read an arcicle from a federal guy that said they are very forgiving and can be loaded up to 100 off if that helps.
I haven't loaded any but like em and have some 7mag 160 factory here and 280 140's. I can measure ogive and compare it to some other 7mag factory rounds to see what federal did if ya want.
Sorry haven't reloaded any yet, be nice if they'd make a 130 6.5, or wishful thinking a 200 8mm.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
I believe they are harder type kinda like a swift S2 but probably less than tsx/ttsx. Think ya got the right idea to start a 50 off, I wouldn't want to go closer than 30 maybe.
I read an arcicle from a federal guy that said they are very forgiving and can be loaded up to 100 off if that helps.
I haven't loaded any but like em and have some 7mag 160 factory here and 280 140's. I can measure ogive and compare it to some other 7mag factory rounds to see what federal did if ya want.
Sorry haven't reloaded any yet, be nice if they'd make a 130 6.5, or wishful thinking a 200 8mm.
Thanks for the info. Any possibility of a link to the article?
Yes, a 200 or 220 would be a great bullet for an 8mm Rem mag. There's not a lot out there to choose from.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:16 PM

For liability reasons they cant give you a lands or jump measurement. Same as reloading manuals. Its different for every rifle. They will only give you saami measurements for overall length etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
For liability reasons they cant give you a lands or jump measurement. Same as reloading manuals. Its different for every rifle. They will only give you saami measurements for overall length etc.

Barnes does it. They recommend 0.050 off the lands. Bullet distance from the lands doesn't vary rifle to rifle. For example you can have four different manufacturers of 7mm Rem Mag rifles and you can seat the bullet 0.050" (same measurement) off the lands for each rifle.

Granted the cartridge overall length could and would most likely be different for each rifle. But the 0.050" distance would remain the same.

I'm not looking for cartridge overall length here, just distance from the lands.

No liability issues here that I can see from giving out that measurement.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post

Not true look at a berger manual
Old 01-16-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Barnes does it. They recommend 0.050 off the lands. Bullet distance from the lands doesn't vary rifle to rifle. For example you can have four different manufacturers of 7mm Rem Mag rifles and you can seat the bullet 0.050" (same measurement) off the lands for each rifle.

Granted the cartridge overall length could and would most likely be different for each rifle. But the 0.050" distance would remain the same.

I'm not looking for cartridge overall length here, just distance from the lands.

No liability issues here that I can see from giving out that measurement.

.050" is the starting point for Barnes bullets, but I have found the ideal jump to the lands to vary from .040" to .070", depending n the rifle.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
.050" is the starting point for Barnes bullets, but I have found the ideal jump to the lands to vary from .040" to .070", depending n the rifle.
I agree that 0.050" is just a starting point for the Barnes and you work from there.

What I'm looking for is Federal's recommended starting point. I can be safe and start at 0.050" but I just wanted to narrow it down a bit. Most cup and core bullets I use, I start at 0.020".