Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 10:07 AM

Default Browing Xbolt 7mmRM Ammunition Selection

Has anyone tried different factory ammo with the Browing Xbolt 7mmRM and noticed a difference in accuracy?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2017, 10:17 AM

I have seen accuracy vary from sub moa to well over 2moa when the shooter tried multiple factory loads in an X bolt.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:25 AM

I have tried many different brands of ammo and calibers. I came up with it's completely different for every rifle. Bullet design, powder used, brass and head space all play a huge roll.
If you are using the 7mm mag for hunting I would suggest trying any ammo that has a Barnes bullet and step down a bullet grain size. For instance if using 170gr go for a 160gr or 150gr. Theses bullets work extremely well at magnum speeds and retain almost 100% of their weight. Not to mention have been extremely accurate in my case. But i'm reloading them a thousandth of the lands.
Cheers 360hunt

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 12-22-2017, 10:55 AM

I have had wildly varying results in that exact rifle. I have the stainless one.

Best factory load for me is the Winchester Accubond CT in 160 gr. Hard to find, unfortunately.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 AM

The Federal premium round has been great for mine. Trophy Bonded tip.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:05 PM

Every time I read one of these threads I kind of laugh at the EVERY gun is different comment and you have to try 20 kinds of ammo to find the right one. While true it is not to near the extent that internet legend has created.

Some ammo is clearly loaded to tighter tolerance than others. Norma, Nosler, Weatherby, RWS, Sellier and Bellot and Lapua factory ammo are all loaded to much tighter tolerances than Winchester White Box or Remington PMC.

I have NEVER seen a 22 Hornet that would not shoot 12.6 grains of Lil'Gun, 40 grain Vmax, WW or Privi case and Fed SP primers into less than an inch and I have tried that load in over 2 dozen Hornets.

If you have a 7mm that won't shoot 162 grain Horn and 63 grains of 4831 into less than 1 inches or a 308 that won't shoot Black Hills Competition ammo there is something wrong with the gun.

If you are looking for the most ultimately accurate ammo in your gun you might have to try a lot of different ammo to be sure. If you want a good hunting load start with well made ammo and the bullet you want to use. If you stick to the more premium ammo it is VERY likely you will get 1" or better out of most loads. Can you find Federal Blue box that shoots as good, maybe.

So in my case, I have never seen a 7x57 or 7x57R that will not shoot Sellier and Bellot or Norma factory 150 and 174 grain bullets into better than 1", most shoot close to 1/2". I have often had trouble creating hand loads that will out shoot it.

I have never had a Weatherby that would not shoot Weatherby ammo under an inch, my latest 257 Bee will shoot Weatherby Select into .25 3 shot groups.

In your case I would suggest you get a box of Nosler in the bullet you like and a box of Barnes Vortex in 140 or 150 grain TSX or TTSX. Ten to one both will shoot under and inch for 3 shots.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM

I had a A Bolt in 7mmRM for 17 years. Converged on Federal Premiums in 140 grain Nosler partition. Used them for deer and moose with excellent results. I gave the rifle to my nefiew who switched to 175 grain CorLokt for first season but he is now on the 140 Noslers.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 PM

I have had my share of xbolts,infact I just purchased the xbolt 3D stainless stalker and worked up a couple loads with h 1000 and reloader 22,plus n560 with 160 accubonds,and the 162 eld x and I am not worried one bit on how the gun will shoot,put a new 30mm victory ht on it and it will shot fine,9.5 twist should handle those 160's like they were tailor made for it.

I have another xbolt in 7mm rem plus and an abolt 270 that shoots great.I
I start my loads low and work my way up,somtimes I get better velocity than I expected with good accuracy and sometimes the sweet spot is 50 feet slower than I wanted,but that's the price you pay if you want good accuracy.

Some guys think that max load is what is need out of there rifle so that's where they start when reloading and that is the start of there problems,not the xbolt.

Tags
7mm rem mag, browning, xbolt