Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Paperwork for mounts.

I friend of mine was told by a Fish & Wildlife officer this weekend, that if they come to your house or cabin for any reason and you have mounts, they can ask you for the paperwork. He also said that if you could not produce the paperwork that they could take your mounts and possibly charge you. My question is what kind of paperwork do you get with your mount? What about european mounts, do they come with the same paperwork? I've never had a mount done so I'm a little curious about this.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
I friend of mine was told by a Fish & Wildlife officer this weekend, that if they come to your house or cabin for any reason and you have mounts, they can ask you for the paperwork. He also said that if you could not produce the paperwork that they could take your mounts and possibly charge you. My question is what kind of paperwork do you get with your mount? What about european mounts, do they come with the same paperwork? I've never had a mount done so I'm a little curious about this.
Hogwash, no such law exists! No one can be reasonably expected to keep paperwork for mounts, particularly when dealing with older taxidermy work or mounts that have been passed down from one generation to the next. I'd like to see the CO that would try to take my deer heads, moose antlers and game birds away from me because I did'nt have paperwork. Besides no taxidermist today will accept animals without the tag #, WIN # etc. So its all legit.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM

I do my own mounts and don't give myself paper work.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Hogwash, no such law exists! No one can be reasonably expected to keep paperwork for mounts, particularly when dealing with older taxidermy work or mounts that have been passed down from one generation to the next. I'd like to see the CO that would try to take my deer heads, moose antlers and game birds away from me because I did'nt have paperwork. Besides no taxidermist today will accept animals without the tag #, WIN # etc. So its all legit.
Thank you! I was thinking the exact same thing but with all the rules and regulations in place today I could almost seen this being true.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 AM

If the mounts are from protected 'found' wildlife - like eagles, hawks or owls that have been killed on the highway or powerlines - then you need to keep your 'permit to possess' with the mount.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 AM
sheephunter

I guess it's possible that you need to keep the licences from any animals you have mounted and likely you should keep the paperwork from the taxidermist. I've never heard of anyone being charged but I'm sure it's possible.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
If the mounts are from protected 'found' wildlife - like eagles, hawks or owls that have been killed on the highway or powerlines - then you need to keep your 'permit to possess' with the mount.
This is another reason I was wondering about this. I have an uncle in B.C. that has an owl mounted that he found hit by a car on the road. Maybe it was these types of mounts that the officer was telling my buddy about.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Dang I got mounts from my grandpa and my father for critters that were shot nearly 60 years ago, ain't got no paper work. I was not even born yet. hehehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Default Mounts

I staple it (paperwork) to the back of the mount so that it is always with it and I don't have to rack my brain should I ever need it. Do you legally have to have it with it? I don't know, but this is a good way to keep the paperwork with the animal.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Paperwork for Mounts

The CO had better have a search warrant to enter your cabin or home.
This requires swearing an affidavit to a judge.The guy better be honest and tell the truth as to why he believes he has grounds to enter your place.
You are not obligated to let a person of the law to enter you place.
I can see paperwork being required for other species as allready mentioned like Owls, etc. For run of the mill mounts like deer, no way!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
The CO had better have a search warrant to enter your cabin or home.
This requires swearing an affidavit to a judge.The guy better be honest and tell the truth as to why he believes he has grounds to enter your place.
You are not obligated to let a person of the law to enter you place.
I can see paperwork being required for other species as allready mentioned like Owls, etc. For run of the mill mounts like deer, no way!
x2 We are talking about Fish Cops here not a Swat Team ...Lol
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Taxidermists has it

I believe that keeping records and paper work with the mount pertains mostly to found dead, and predatory birds, other than that, your taxidermists will have all the records they need as far as win#'s and tag #'s.If you are totally legit though, why would they come and pay you a visit to check?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
I staple it (paperwork) to the back of the mount so that it is always with it and I don't have to rack my brain should I ever need it. Do you legally have to have it with it? I don't know, but this is a good way to keep the paperwork with the animal.
Or, tell the officer to **** up a rope. You do not need paperwork for any taxidermy.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I guess it's possible that you need to keep the licences from any animals you have mounted and likely you should keep the paperwork from the taxidermist. I've never heard of anyone being charged but I'm sure it's possible.
This is how I "understand" all this...you need to be able to account for what you've got on your property. The licenses/ tags for mounts, sundry permits for Found Dead, or letters of transfer/ reciepts for gifted/ sold critters.
I can't verify this, so don't go all "postal" on me....there is a CO on here occasionally isn't there?
Perhaps some verification would be helpful......thanks ahead!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC

Last edited by whitetailsheds; 12-21-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 PM

In the States a CO has the right to enter and inspect any property at any time without a search warrent. I'm sure Canada is different but maybe it isnt. Our laws in Minnesota state that as long as "any part of the animal" is within your property, you will need to produce any and all licenses/permits pertaining to that animal. This does include all mounts. I keep all my used/unused tags and registration tags in a large zip lock and inside my file cabinet. Its not a big deal in my opinion.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM

All birds of prey and any found dead wildlife need to be accompanied by a permit. Pretty much all the rest regular taxidermy needs nothing. The taxidermist records all nessessary licence info keeps a copy and forwards one on to Fish and Wildlife anyway.