Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Default You know you are a lucky person when...

You see some people not only live beside dumps but sometimes those dumps collapse and swallows shanty homes and kill the residents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_au...east-17-people

Puts living in Canada in perspective.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 PM

We did win a lottery of sorts to be born here or to be allowed to move here. Of all the complaining we do, a lot of it falls into the 'First World Problems' department. "OMG, There wasn't enough salted caramel in my macchiato!!"

Those poor souls were dealt a pretty bad hand....
Old 02-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
We did win a lottery of sorts to be born here or to be allowed to move here. Of all the complaining we do, a lot of it falls into the 'First World Problems' department. "OMG, There wasn't enough salted caramel in my macchiato!!"

Those poor souls were dealt a pretty bad hand....
Feel bad for me. My Scapa is running low and I may have to order dinner out tonight.

Yup.

Travelling the world can really make to appreciate Canada just the way it is.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-21-2018, 01:17 PM

Some shanties I saw in the non-tourist zone in Mazatlán really shocked me but the worst tragedy I saw there was observing an apparently drunk pre-pubescent girl wandering the beach in the same non-tourist area before it was even noon.....
Old 02-21-2018, 01:48 PM

I don't know how true it is but I once heard that if you make more than $60k a year you're making more than 95% of the people on the planet. In AB that's almost minimum wage!

Blessed we are to live in this great country and province.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Feel bad for me. My Scapa is running low and I may have to order dinner out tonight.

Yup.

Travelling the world can really make to appreciate Canada just the way it is.

Running out of Scapa IS serious, as you can't get the 16 anymore. I have two inches left...

But yeah, perspective. The first year I was married the wife and I worked at an orphanage in the Baja south of Ensenada. I spent Christmas morning 1992 building a two foot long coffin for a baby that died of malnutrition and exposure. We have it pretty damn good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Unhappy

We don't have to go to the Third World to see it bad. Some of the US inner city ghettos and parts of their dirt-poor Appalachia and rural south can be quite shocking for the unaware. I know ... I've seen it first-hand.

Most Canadians have no idea.

Selkirk
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 PM

My wife has a saying that I've always liked..not everyone has the same chances in life,,,Having been born and raised in Canada,I never was even close to having to live this way,I was born in a fishing town in NFLD,and though we weren't rich by any stretch of the imagination,there was always a roof over our heads and plenty of grub.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.