Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Framework to protect Indigenous rights

Knee jerk media response in light of the recent Stanley verdict.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...ghts-1.3803111

Which Indigenous rights were infringed upon during the Stanley trial?
It was in fact Gerald Stanley on trial, not an Indigenous person.
I am aware of their right to self governance, access to ancestral lands, treaty land rights, hunting rights etc. But which right was infringed upon with the outcome of the trial that would warrant a national response from our Prime Minister?
Or is this simply an attempt to placate the uprising?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Hard to believe that in today’s world we live in a country that SOME have more rights than OTHERS. It’s no wonder some people are racist. I thought all were equal in this diverse nation. But I’m a fool to believe. We as a nation will never be consolidated until the system treats all people equally.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

Default History repeats itself !

There has never been an Indian uprising that
has gone anywhere or lasted .
The uprising Trudeau has to worry about is the Canadian
taxpayer,.
Word is the long standing Liberals in the govt have just about
had enough of his Stupidity ...Watch Question Period on CPAC
Half his gathering do not stand to applaud his profundities.
The lefty media won't tell you this but the backlash against
natives in small centres has been alarming .

Andrew Scheers plan to let shiny hang himself seems to be
coming along nicely ...
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Banned

They've already got special privileges in regards to disciplinary actions, I can't imagine having to be a police officer or one of their victims and trying to get a conviction once justin has his say.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 AM

Yep...let's solve perceived racism by creating a race based legal system.

If they were serious, the Indian Act would be done away with plain and simple.

It is a racist and obsolete throw back to apartheid policy.

There can be no reconciliation until all peoples are seen as equals and are not simply defined by their respective immigrant status.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

In my mind changing things to accommodate the natives is a way of saying most natives are criminals when in fact no race holds the monopoly on crime. If I were a native I'd take offence to this but I'm not a native so I'll take offence anyway.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
There has never been an Indian uprising that
has gone anywhere or lasted .
The uprising Trudeau has to worry about is the Canadian
taxpayer,.
Word is the long standing Liberals in the govt have just about
had enough of his Stupidity ...Watch Question Period on CPAC
Half his gathering do not stand to applaud his profundities.
The lefty media won't tell you this but the backlash against
natives in small centres has been alarming .

Andrew Scheers plan to let shiny hang himself seems to be
coming along nicely ...
Some people just can't comprehend that it can be more effective to let a person self destruct, rather than fight them.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM

the problem is that while he is self destructing, he is destroying our country at the same time... god help us
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Hard to believe that in today’s world we live in a country that SOME have more rights than OTHERS. It’s no wonder some people are racist. I thought all were equal in this diverse nation. But I’m a fool to believe. We as a nation will never be consolidated until the system treats all people equally.
Ask yourself, has this ever happened before, historically? I.E WW2, US Civil War, etc. History repeats itself (wavelength). Every 82 years wavelength. 1939+82= 2021 (uprising?). 1939-82= 1857 (Us Civil War 1861-1865). This is Normal however we only see this once in a lifetime (some have seen it before). Right now we are going through history, people 50+ years from now will be discussing what happened prior to 2020-2021.
We are fed by media propaganda : Quote Wikipedia.

"Propaganda must always address itself to the broad masses of the people. (...) All propaganda must be presented in a popular form and must fix its intellectual level so as not to be above the heads of the least intellectual of those to whom it is directed. (...) The art of propaganda consists precisely in being able to awaken the imagination of the public through an appeal to their feelings, in finding the appropriate psychological form that will arrest the attention and appeal to the hearts of the national masses. The broad masses of the people are not made up of diplomats or professors of public jurisprudence nor simply of persons who are able to form reasoned judgment in given cases, but a vacillating crowd of human children who are constantly wavering between one idea and another. (...) The great majority of a nation is so feminine in its character and outlook that its thought and conduct are ruled by sentiment rather than by sober reasoning. This sentiment, however, is not complex, but simple and consistent. It is not highly differentiated, but has only the negative and positive notions of love and hatred, right and wrong, truth and falsehood."[5]

As to the methods to be employed, he explains:

"Propaganda must not investigate the truth objectively and, in so far as it is favourable to the other side, present it according to the theoretical rules of justice; yet it must present only that aspect of the truth which is favourable to its own side. (...) The receptive powers of the masses are very restricted, and their understanding is feeble. On the other hand, they quickly forget. Such being the case, all effective propaganda must be confined to a few bare essentials and those must be expressed as far as possible in stereotyped formulas. These slogans should be persistently repeated until the very last individual has come to grasp the idea that has been put forward. (...) Every change that is made in the subject of a propagandist message must always emphasize the same conclusion. The leading slogan must of course be illustrated in many ways and from several angles, but in the end one must always return to the assertion of the same formula."
Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Ask yourself, has this ever happened before, historically? I.E WW2, US Civil War, etc. History repeats itself (wavelength). Every 82 years wavelength. 1939+82= 2021 (uprising?). 1939-82= 1857 (Us Civil War 1861-1865). This is Normal however we only see this once in a lifetime (some have seen it before). Right now we are going through history, people 50+ years from now will be discussing what happened prior to 2020-2021.
We are fed by media propaganda : Quote Wikipedia.

"Propaganda must always address itself to the broad masses of the people. (...) All propaganda must be presented in a popular form and must fix its intellectual level so as not to be above the heads of the least intellectual of those to whom it is directed. (...) The art of propaganda consists precisely in being able to awaken the imagination of the public through an appeal to their feelings, in finding the appropriate psychological form that will arrest the attention and appeal to the hearts of the national masses. The broad masses of the people are not made up of diplomats or professors of public jurisprudence nor simply of persons who are able to form reasoned judgment in given cases, but a vacillating crowd of human children who are constantly wavering between one idea and another. (...) The great majority of a nation is so feminine in its character and outlook that its thought and conduct are ruled by sentiment rather than by sober reasoning. This sentiment, however, is not complex, but simple and consistent. It is not highly differentiated, but has only the negative and positive notions of love and hatred, right and wrong, truth and falsehood."[5]

As to the methods to be employed, he explains:

"Propaganda must not investigate the truth objectively and, in so far as it is favourable to the other side, present it according to the theoretical rules of justice; yet it must present only that aspect of the truth which is favourable to its own side. (...) The receptive powers of the masses are very restricted, and their understanding is feeble. On the other hand, they quickly forget. Such being the case, all effective propaganda must be confined to a few bare essentials and those must be expressed as far as possible in stereotyped formulas. These slogans should be persistently repeated until the very last individual has come to grasp the idea that has been put forward. (...) Every change that is made in the subject of a propagandist message must always emphasize the same conclusion. The leading slogan must of course be illustrated in many ways and from several angles, but in the end one must always return to the assertion of the same formula."
Straight off of the first page of the CBC policy handbook / Liberal party leadership guidance handbook.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Straight off of the first page of the CBC policy handbook / Liberal party leadership guidance handbook.
Exactly. It works.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 PM

Default still true today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Andrew Scheers plan to let shiny hang himself seems to be coming along nicely ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Some people just can't comprehend that it can be more effective to let a person self destruct, rather than fight them.
Could be that Andrew learned something from history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg never interrupt.jpg (25.7 KB, 93 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM

How would you like to be a rural farmer in Saskatchewan that is anywhere
near the Red Pheasant Reserve now? The Natives already receive more lenient sentences than others, now they have just been told by Little Potato that they
have been suffering at the hands of racists and a Justice System that treats
them unfairly. The scary part to me, is that some of the Natives might actually
believe it. If a Native goes onto someone's property and attempts to steal their
stuff is it racist to intervene now? Seriously, what are the rights of a property owner? If a person looks outside and notices someone in the process of stealing their vehicle, do they just walk up to them and ask them to stop and call the Police; who will just show up three hours later to give you a file number and you call your insurance company? Will the Federal Government offer to fully replace someone's property that is stolen or damaged, or does a person just
watch their insurance premiums skyrocket until they can longer obtain insurance because they are deemed to high of a risk?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Interesting point of view
Old 02-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
In my mind changing things to accommodate the natives is a way of saying most natives are criminals when in fact no race holds the monopoly on crime. If I were a native I'd take offence to this but I'm not a native so I'll take offence anyway.
This is totally incorrect.
Stats say that less than 10% of population is Native
80% of our jail population is Native.
So I believe that monopoly of crime is infact a proven stat here.
My father was a prison chaplain for more than 25 years, and the stats hold true.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Default Yes rights were trampled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Knee jerk media response in light of the recent Stanley verdict.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...ghts-1.3803111

Which Indigenous rights were infringed upon during the Stanley trial?
It was in fact Gerald Stanley on trial, not an Indigenous person.
I am aware of their right to self governance, access to ancestral lands, treaty land rights, hunting rights etc. But which right was infringed upon with the outcome of the trial that would warrant a national response from our Prime Minister?
Or is this simply an attempt to placate the uprising?
The only rights that were infringed upon was the right to drink and drive and the right of armed robbery.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
The only rights that were infringed upon was the right to drink and drive and the right of armed robbery.
No doubt.
I hope the Conservatives can address the rights to personal safety for our rural country folk
Old 02-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
My father was a prison chaplain for more than 25 years, and the stats hold true.
I was just trying to say that criminals come in all shapes and sizes but ya I believe you stats.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Banned

This thread was started at 9:50 on the 14th,,, you guys are letting me down by not having the mods lock it down by now!!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:47 PM

It does baffle me thought, that this case had nothing to do with race. But some how the media has made it this way.
It has everything to do with protecting ones family.
It is sad that someone died, but nothing would have happened if there was no drunk young adults out looking to do crime.
The government needs to focus on fixing the problem, not throwing money at a issue that money has not fixed in over a 100 years.
In my opinion fixing the problem would be scrapping the Indian Act, so that no one group would have more rites than another, then everyone would have to fit into society in the exact same way.
I am sick and tired of the race card getting thrown out there every time someone of a different color has something bad happen.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Can you provide reference to those stats?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Can you provide reference to those stats?
I agree with his sentiment, but while it is extremely disproportionate, it is not quite as extreme as stated. Approx. 4% of population and 23% of incarcerated as of 2013.

http://www.oci-bec.gc.ca/cnt/rpt/oth...2info-eng.aspx

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Apparently your Dad missed the math part at Seminary school.
Aboriginal adults account for one in four admissions to provincial/territorial correctional services
In 2015/2016, Aboriginal adultsNote 22Note 23 were overrepresented in admissions to provincial and territorial correctional services, as they accounted for 26% of admissionsNote 24 while representing about 3% of the Canadian adult populationNote 25 (Table 5). The findings for provincial and territorial custodial admissions (27%) were similar to community admissions (24%).
Aboriginal adults in federal correctional services accounted for 28% of admissions to custody and 26% to community supervision in 2015/2016.
The overrepresentation of Aboriginal adults was more pronounced for females than males. Aboriginal females accounted for 38% of female admissions to provincial and territorial sentenced custody, while the comparable figure for Aboriginal males was 26%. In the federal correctional services, Aboriginal females accounted for 31% of female admissions to sentenced custody, while the figure for Aboriginal males was 23%.

Basically, it says 25% not your 80% Normally, I wouldn't really care about such a exaggeration, but this topic is so hot that we must all strive to be accurate.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Couldn't agree more.

We need ONE rule of law for EVERYONE regardless if your family has been here for hundreds of years or if you were just sworn in as a Canadian citizen yesterday.

ONE law for ALL Canadians.

Untill that happens, if ever, it will be more of the same sadly
Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
They've already got special privileges in regards to disciplinary actions, I can't imagine having to be a police officer or one of their victims and trying to get a conviction once justin has his say.
Are your referring to healing lodges? I have often wondered if these work for serious offenders and if not why are they kept? Minor issues perhaps but CSC stats have a higher % of reoffending from healing lodges vs minimum security stays -- 19% to 13%.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM

I just saw a Facebook post of a suspected murder in Saskatoon, beside the native gas bar. 22nd and Ave P for those that are familiar.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Are your referring to healing lodges? I have often wondered if these work for serious offenders and if not why are they kept? Minor issues perhaps but CSC stats have a higher % of reoffending from healing lodges vs minimum security stays -- 19% to 13%.
Yes, and also reduced sentences because they are aboriginal.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:00 PM

Some Indigenous groups are already at odds with the proposed new framework. Some say they do not need a new framework, just follow section 35 of the Constitution and the Indian Act. Others say the new framework is a start. Looks like the Indigenous, (FN, Metis, Inuit) have no agreement as to what they want.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

What rights have i got that a indigenous person doesnt have?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM

Liberal version of the proposed framework is that the Indigenous people need to be a self governing nation within a nation.