Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Fleas

Am I the only one who gets bitten by fleas off of coyotes?
I seem to pick them up just dragging them to the truck. This is always worse when weather is warm like now.
Usually wake up in the morning after checking a line with new bites.
What can I do about this other than changing clothes when I get home?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Default fleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder monkey View Post
Am I the only one who gets bitten by fleas off of coyotes?
I seem to pick them up just dragging them to the truck. This is always worse when weather is warm like now.
Usually wake up in the morning after checking a line with new bites.
What can I do about this other than changing clothes when I get home?
spray with raid when you get them,then again when you get home again
Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 PM
AO Sponsor

Yuck! I hate raid! I use it on fox and the odd coyote that are black with fleas, but the rest, wear rubber boots in your skinning shop and short sleeves and just skin them fast. If they get on your hands/arms flick them off, on the floor, if they land on your boots, they feel no heat and jump off right away. Runners, hunting boots, pant legs... if the land on them then they start to crawl and you, and you are done for!

Be warned tho, the odd person has died of bubonic plague from flea bites that were infected. But I have only heard of 1 or 2 on the continent... Canada plus USA, and one or both involved bobcat lice or fleas.

I suspect you will inflict much more harm upon yourselves inhaling raid mist than from flea bites???
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM

I have Konk dispensers set up around my shop to kill them. I use the 418 strength, that’s what the use in restaurants and kitchens.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Banned

Don’t throw them over your shoulder when you’re taking them out!

I don’t recall getting fleas from doing my checks. Fox and ermine get raided and put in a bag for a bit before bringing them in the shed but rarely every coyote. Sometimes if I have a bunch of coyotes hanging to thaw it can get pretty bad. When it does I nuke them with raid and close up the shed for about an hour. I hang my clothes outside the shed and put on coveralls once inside.
I’m going to start wearing my rubber boots like Marty mentioned. Yesterday I had to raid the top of my socks.

If you are getting them on your checks, raid them like PCP said, put them in a NAFA bag, give them another blast and close up the bag.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 PM
AO Sponsor

I know one trapper who had to pay his kids $100 per flea bite. His wife didn't care much for fleas either, especially when they would show up during her weekly Bible study with a house full of church ladies.

Apparently he claimed that fleas love women and children due to the high levels of estrogen in their blood. They hate men and their testosterone but still seem to bite a guy on occasion.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 AM

This topic is just a joke with my family now. My wife is such a good women and is so tolerant all winter. As long as I drop what I’m doing to run and pick the flea off her at any given time. She even gets phantom fleas by the end of the winter lol! They only bite my son and he is slowly getting used to it. Having said that we do have some protocols to try and keep many out of the house. Things like handling of fur shed clothes and quick showers after fur handling. Also princess auto sells flea traps that are strategically placed that kill many fleas. I will try the rubber boots too Marty excellent advice. I’m also not into sniffing insecticide all winter. They don’t bother anyway. It’s just the tickle of money!!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Gone Hunting

A friend was up from Montana for coyotes. We got back to the house and my wife met us at the door to ask how the day went. Mike said good except for the fleas.

She handed him a garbage bag and had him strip to his underwear before he came in and put his clothes in the bag. She hit it with raid and into the wash.

It was about -20 C.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Yuck! I hate raid! I use it on fox and the odd coyote that are black with fleas, but the rest, wear rubber boots in your skinning shop and short sleeves and just skin them fast. If they get on your hands/arms flick them off, on the floor, if they land on your boots, they feel no heat and jump off right away. Runners, hunting boots, pant legs... if the land on them then they start to crawl and you, and you are done for!

Be warned tho, the odd person has died of bubonic plague from flea bites that were infected. But I have only heard of 1 or 2 on the continent... Canada plus USA, and one or both involved bobcat lice or fleas.

I suspect you will inflict much more harm upon yourselves inhaling raid mist than from flea bites???
X2 with the raid, almost every fox and rarely a yote gets treated. I strip down and leave my skining clothes in the garage where i skin and still bring the odd one in the house.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

If you are getting them on your checks, raid them like PCP said, put them in a NAFA bag, give them another blast and close up the bag.
where do you guys get your (NAFA) fur bag from?
Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 AM

For those who uses flea trap, what kind of trap works best?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
where do you guys get your (NAFA) fur bag from?
Wherever you take your fur should have them. Pretty sure that the ATA is Westlock does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
For those who uses flea trap, what kind of trap works best?
This must be the one that he's referring to:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ap/A-p8538100e
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM

Default fleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
A friend was up from Montana for coyotes. We got back to the house and my wife met us at the door to ask how the day went. Mike said good except for the fleas.

She handed him a garbage bag and had him strip to his underwear before he came in and put his clothes in the bag. She hit it with raid and into the wash.

It was about -20 C.
On a trip to the far east years ago,i came up with a head full of lice,now to say i am gun shy on the fleas is putting it midly yotes go in a bag with farm spray----
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Am I the only one who got phantom fleas from reading this? Feel them walking in my hair.

I've never been bit by a flea but feeling them walking in my hair drives me crazy. One time I went as far as to give my hair a healthy dose of raid. Not smart and it probably took a few years off my life but it worked...
Old 01-08-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Am I the only one who got phantom fleas from reading this? Feel them walking in my hair.

I've never been bit by a flea but feeling them walking in my hair drives me crazy. One time I went as far as to give my hair a healthy dose of raid. Not smart and it probably took a few years off my life but it worked...
I get the phantom fleas as well. I like Marty wear short sleeves and boots. I have a skinning rig so I'm only arms length from the coyote. I'll get 1 crawling up my arm on occasion and then I subconsciously think I got them every where. Hahaha I have a shower and they all disappear. Now my trapping partner seems to get bit more than I do and I do most of the skinning. So not sure how that works.

Bill
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Raid and into garbage bag for an hour works for most fur. Not sure why some of you guys think you will die from Raid. The law suit would involve $billions if it proved toxic to humans, just spray and leave the shed.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Default fleas

For years now ,I use short sleeved shirt and vicks vapo rub.I put the vicks about 1 inch wide around my wrists and proceed to skin away.After I am done ,i wipe off the vicks and all the "stuck" critters!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:25 PM

I don't know what they like about me but it's nuts. I've got about 15 bites on me now. My wife and son haven't any. We're treating the house and my truck with the spray and powder. I've got a great wife,but she's not too happy. Lol
Maybe I'm part canine.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Banned

Konk for me! I hate the price but it really wacks the fleas , no bagging necessary . As far as fox I believe just the fact you have to pick them up and drag to the truck gets you a dose every time!
spray a bit on your coverall sleeves and chest , generally works , so far this winter I got bit once
Old 01-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Default fleas

Reminds me back in junior high school some 40 yrs ago when I used to snare squirrels during recess in the bush behind the school.My locker was always full of squirrels and as a result,I always had fleas on me during classroom!,was not very popular with the girls back then!