Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Default Help with bobcat

I found a bobcat as roadkill a few months back, Ive kept it frozen and now thawed and skinned it over the weekend. I want to just make a rug without the head being mounted kinda like something you would put on the wall, or a coffee table, as i was skinning it everything went well but the head had taken all of the impact of the car and its really hard to remove all the bloody tissue from the hide, i have done what i can for now and have washed the blood out and salted it heavy ..Will this be ok to take in to get tanned? Also i turned the ears but don't know what cartilage i should remove...I just want it in a state that i can bring in and have tanned without paying extra for them having to do more work..Maybe i should have brought the whole works in..But would rather say i did it myself...

Where should i go from here?

Any help would be great..

PS i took the proper steps in getting the animal as road kill...

Nate
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 AM

You need to separate the cartilage from the back of the ear. If you are keeping to make a wall hanger or rug you need to do this step. If you are going to sell to the fur trade then you can do it a different way.
Cheers Jim
Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Default hey there

hey i seen that you had found a Bob cat and i was wondering whereabouts this was i live in southern Alberta and have access along 2 different coulee systems here and i have seen tracks but i am afraid to try and hunt them am i aloud or do i need a permit or tag ? ......by the way i hope everything works out for you with skinning it i am lucky enough to have a friend that's native and a guide so he knows how to do all of that and will help me. you may have heard of him Warren Potts ? well happy hunting