Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Gas or Diesel truck.

So I have a chance to buy a new 2017 HD3500 Diesel for the same price as a New 2018 HD3500 gas. It is almost the same price because of all the rebates on the 2017.

90% of my driving will only be the yellow head trail in Edmonton going to and from work.
The other 10 % will be High way fishing, hunting etc with camper and boat.

Like to to hear from those that have a new diesel and do mostly city driving.

Do you wish you had a Gas truck
Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM

Diesel will have a higher resale value. Plus better mileage.

I’d go diesel.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
So I have a chance to buy a new 2017 HD3500 Diesel for the same price as a New 2018 HD3500 gas. It is almost the same price because of all the rebates on the 2017.

90% of my driving will only be the yellow head trail in Edmonton going to and from work.
The other 10 % will be High way fishing, hunting etc with camper and boat.

Like to to hear from those that have a new diesel and do mostly city driving.

Do you wish you had a Gas truck

same price makes it a no brainer,...get the diesel. I have both.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

For a general run around truck I'd go gas. Seems like diesel is $0.05 L more expensive. Oil changes are a little pricey. My dodge cummins to my chev 6l is only 4l per 100km better. The diesel should be warmed up nicely before you drive it which I makes my day about 30 min longer. For work and what I do the diesel is nice. Given the option I'd take the diesel.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Just found out the 2017 diesel was more a bottom of the line truck.Rubber floor etc
Where the 2018 was much nicer with rug and console ,power heated seats etc.
Looks like i am going to choice the gas knowing this.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just found out the 2017 diesel was more a bottom of the line truck.Rubber floor etc
Should be some new 17 diesels out there. Full load is awful nice but they can keep the sun roof. Lol
Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Go gas

I love a diesel truck, but for your application gas will last a much longer time. Diesels with all the emissions systems don't like to be town vehicles.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Diesel. I put over 500,000km on one driving the same as you, when I last heard from the guy that bought it it was close to 700,000 (Ford)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Diesel. I put over 500,000km on one driving the same as you, when I last heard from the guy that bought it it was close to 700,000 (Ford)
You had me...until the word ford.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM

I own both and would say you are better off with a gas for commuting.The price of fuel and upfront cost is a big difference. The diesel is a lot more money to maintain as well. The gas is nicer to operate in the winter with less warm up time. However if you pull a lot of heavy loads frequently I would go with the diesel. I'm not sure about the new trucks but it seemed with my diesel it got better mileage after I used it to pull heavier loads. Go with what you feel is your best choice. There is no dead set right answer. That's my meager advice. And enjoy your new wheels.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Good choice.

Diesel: stinks. Requires delete. Needs to be warmed up. Is difficult to do your own maintenance on. Doesn't last longer if used for commuting. Is more expensive upfront, for maintenance, and for fuel. They certainly don't pay for themselves (at least not anymore) as people often like to say.

Diesel trucks are workhorses, made for hauling heavy stuff long miles. If you don't do that daily, gas is a better choice.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM

I currently have a 2014 duramax ltz. It is fully deleted and tuned. Best truck I’ve ever owned hands down, once I deleted and tuned it of course. If you’re going to buy a diesel and plan on tuning it I would buy a gas because as it stands 2015 and up Chevy duramaxs are untenable , seeing as the ecm is far too complex and coded to preform a manageable tune on. Which is really unfortunate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Unless consistently towing heavy, I wouldn't bother with a brand new diesel. Way too much complex technology behind them, from emissions systems to fuel systems. A DEF sensor could just suddenly go bad and then limit your truck to 4 km/h until it's replaced. Or heaven forbid the new style injection pump on the L5P decides to quit and sends shards of metal into your injectors. Just pray your rig is still under warranty when that happens.

I wouldn't really use diesel resale as a valid argument to buy one. Seems to me, it wasn't until 5 or 6 years ago that the diesel resale market suddenly went so crazy with prices. Heck, in early 2014 I had the opportunity to buy a nice shape 2006 crew cab Duramax with only 110,000 km for around $19,000, and I turned it down because I thought that was too much for an eight year old truck. Three years later, looking on Kijiji I'd swear someone would pay $30,000 for that exact truck today.

Diesels are just the new "cool" trendy thing to own it seems. For all you know, in another 5-6 years, no one will even want these trucks due to how expensive and complex they are to fix when they're all getting old and higher mileage.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:57 PM

I like diesel engines and I've been driving diesel Land Rovers and diesel Chevy trucks since the late 90's. Small diesels can be very economical and the older Chevy 6.2L was also. The 6.2 used to get around 21 mpg.

My two Rovers have a 2.5 diesel and a 2.5 turbo direct injected diesel. These engine are very reliable and the tdi in particular has fantastic mileage. The tdi typically gets around 30 mpg on the hwy.

Reliability started to suffer with my 6.5TD, repeated PMD failures but that part is easy to replace, fuel economy was never as good as the old 6.2. Sold the 6.5TD with about 320,000km on it to friend who is still using it. The 6.2 rusted to death at over 500,000km but was still running when I scrapped it. In fact I saved the engine which is still sitting in the garage.

My 2006 Duramax LBZ has been good so far (have only had it for about 1.5 years) but liek the 6.5TD not great economy but huge power and no problems yet with 330,000km on it.

Both the 6.5TD and the LBZ seem to average around 17 mpg hwy.

I find that with the increasing complexity and size/power of diesels they have lost much of their appeal to me. I can't see myself buying another big modern diesel after my LBZ. However, I'll likely keep my Rover tdi running as long as I can then rebuild it. It is a great commuter and off roader. It only lacks in that it can't tow much on the hwy.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Unless consistently towing heavy, I wouldn't bother with a brand new diesel. Way too much complex technology behind them, from emissions systems to fuel systems. A DEF sensor could just suddenly go bad and then limit your truck to 4 km/h until it's replaced. Or heaven forbid the new style injection pump on the L5P decides to quit and sends shards of metal into your injectors. Just pray your rig is still under warranty when that happens.

I wouldn't really use diesel resale as a valid argument to buy one. Seems to me, it wasn't until 5 or 6 years ago that the diesel resale market suddenly went so crazy with prices. Heck, in early 2014 I had the opportunity to buy a nice shape 2006 crew cab Duramax with only 110,000 km for around $19,000, and I turned it down because I thought that was too much for an eight year old truck. Three years later, looking on Kijiji I'd swear someone would pay $30,000 for that exact truck today.

Diesels are just the new "cool" trendy thing to own it seems. For all you know, in another 5-6 years, no one will even want these trucks due to how expensive and complex they are to fix when they're all getting old and higher mileage.
and if you ever park outside you'll plug in your battery heaters and your block heater

i've owned them and i'm done i'll never own another
Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Nissan next gen trucks

If you can wait, then do so. Nissan is rolling out a revolutionary design that burns gas in the same manner as a Diesel.

Fuel economy will be 30 - 40 % better than the Gas job, and for cold weather it still has spark plugs until warmed up.

Nissan will not license the technology so for a few years at least, this will be the leader for economy and power.

Drewski
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Diesel. It turned 540k the other day btw

Old 10-17-2017, 08:11 PM

I think that it depends on your use and from your description of use, a gasoline model would be more practical. My last truck was an older 7.3 powerstroke F250 which was good enough but every second service seemed to be $1000 for a sensor, injector etc. I did the basics myself. Also for hunting the massive diesel engine kept trying to go back to the bowels of the earth where it originated. Too heavy for cutlines. In '13 I bought a new off the lot plain Jane GM 2500HD with the 6.0 vortec. Best truck I have owned. But it is is 4 years old and has 57k km on it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 PM