Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Default snaring rabbits

Hey guys,
I am thinking it would be a pretty fun experience to snare some rabbits(and lots of rabbit strips for fly tying ), I have never done this before..so basically I wouldnt have a clue where to start(other than locations,I know some well used trails..)
Basically what kind of license would I need to set these? Any limits on how many to set, or any other rules I should know? Should I be using a certain type of wire? Also what would be the max time to check on each snare...like would the rabbits spoil after a certain amount of days(I'd assume not, in the winter..)
I'd ask for some recipes, but I think I need to catch em first

Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Gone Hunting

20 gauge wire a little less than a hand above the ground. Wrap end to big green stick and your good to go. As for how long to leave them, check them everyday. Leave them any longer and a yote will rip you off. It's also good to put a couple of sticks in the snow on either side of the loop to guide the bunny in.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11318

It's only three topics down !

Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
20 gauge wire a little less than a hand above the ground. Wrap end to big green stick and your good to go. As for how long to leave them, check them everyday. Leave them any longer and a yote will rip you off. It's also good to put a couple of sticks in the snow on either side of the loop to guide the bunny in.
Thanks alot for the info, really appreciated. Never even thought of them bastard coyotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
Sorry Reeves, I have never trapped before and never even looked on this part of the forum...sorry for your inconvienence.
P.S. I didnt seem to find any answers to the following questions on your post.
"Basically what kind of license would I need to set these?"
"Any limits on how many to set, or any other rules I should know?"
"Also what would be the max time to check on each snare...like would the rabbits spoil after a certain amount of days(I'd assume not, in the winter..)"

Thanks for the info everyone...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Just giving you a hard time lad !

You want info on laws, best place to ask are from the law enforcement guys. Info on/from a forum will not hold water in court.....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Hey Kyle,
I know that here in Newfoundland all that is needed is a small game license and the willingness to get out there and set the snares. Here (Newfoundland) there is no limit on snares set and usually the rabbits are plentiful. The longest that I leave my snares unchecked in the warmer months is about 2 days, haven't had any spoiling problems other then the crows and other animals picking at it.And of course you could leave your snares unchecked for several days in winter, but the coyotes usually get there before you. As for the setting of the snare I usually just find an unused quad or walking trail somewhere not to far from home and walk it looking for places where the rabbits cross then placing my snares accordingly, I just make a small doorway using spruce branches and other sticks and set my snare hand height from the ground. Another thing that will help with getting more rabbits is to take a birch branch and place it on both sides of the snare, the rabbits will see it and start eating it and then go through your snared doorway to get to the other branch and get caught. I would post pictures but my darned internet is so slow. Just type in rabbit snares on google image search, should do the job.

Good luck and I hope this helped

Coyotekiller202
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM

If you are in alberta Rob has the regs at the top of the forum but here is the link again

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/

or

�� Snares* for taking fur-bearing animals may only be set by
holders of Registered Fur Management Licences or
— by holders of Resident Fur Management Licences for
bobcat, coyote, fox, squirrel or wolf (provided they meet
the requirements listed in this section) and for beaver
(provided the snare loop is completely under water).
— by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have
right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than
20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5
in.) in diameter).
* Snare devices include neck snares, power-neck snares and
foot snare
Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 AM

If you are in need of drawings or pics, your local library will have books on survival.You can search at home : wwwtrac.ab.ca . that should hook you up to most of the libraries in Alta.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM

ive done alot of snaring rabbits an this late in the year isnt that really good. sure theres lots of rabbits around but they start eating the spruce trees an they start tasting sprucey. if your just looking to have some fun an get some for the hair heres a few tips. when looking for a spot try an find a trail that is used alot. the odds of findind a tree that is located right beside the trail isnt to usual. i like to cut a few good sticks down an bring them with me, so when you find a trail, pound the stick into the ground an tie your snare onto that. after getting the snare on there make sure its about 15 cm off the ground an the snare is big enough to get your fist through it. after that is done its nice to put a branch over the top of the snare so the sunlight or moonlight doesnt shine on your snare, the light will make the snare shine an could stop the rabbit from going into it. an when you find a trail try to stay off it so it doesnt get beat down.

good luck
Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM

youtube.com has a couple of good tutorials on how to do it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM

shoot em its legal...just follow any fresh tracks you come across they are pretty slow at moving around if they are relaxed...bring a 22 or a 410 and have fun

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.