Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 PM

Default Tikka T3X CTR first shots

So I picked up a new CTR in .308. For glass I had a Leopold vx3 4.5-14.

First thoughts: in the past I've referred to tikka stocks as Tupperware. It's synthetic, polymer, plastic, whatever. But it feels solid and there is little or no flex in the forend. On the CTR there is very little plastic beyond the stock. A magnet sticks to the bottom metal and the trigger guard is aluminum. The mags ($$$$$$!!!!) are metal, double-stacked and seem to be quite reliable. They kind of feel like an AICS mag but are far easier to load.

The bolt moves like it's on ball bearings. You couldn't bind it if you tried. Ejection is positive no matter the speed I ran the bolt. But the bolt knob -gawd! - is crappy plastic. It's like putting plastic hub caps on a Porsche. Likely my only complaint. I will be ordering a replacement very soon.

As for accuracy, it definitely shoots better than me. After sighting in, I shot five shot groups of PPC 145g fmjs, American Eagle 147g fmjs, and one group of four (all that were left in the box) of Hornady 180g sst's. The largest group was 2.5" (PPC) and the smallest was 1.4" (AE). Don't think the 1:11 twist likes the heavier bullets.

I switched to Federal Gold Medal Match 168g Sierra MK's. I shot 6 5-shot groups. Four of the six were sub moa - two of those under 1/2", a 0.814 and a 0.569. The two that spread were a 1.102" and one I grudgingly admit was 1.056".

I'll be using those 168 grainers to work up a load. Let's see if I can do better than Fed.

I'm sure some of you are wondering why I didn't get the creed. I've been cutting down on the cartridges in my inventory and now only have two rifle cartridges to load. I have tons of .308 bullets and no idea how many .308 win cases.

Also, I couldn't find a lefty with the longer tube.

Colin
Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM

I believe the tradition for new rifles is to post pictures lol.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 AM

To say I'm technically challenged is an understatement. Still haven't figured out how to post pictures.

Colin
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM

When I was out there a few years back shooting gophers, a buddy of mine from Calgary brought his 308 CTR down to join the fun. Had a muzzle brake on it, and a fixed 10X US Optics scope. It was like calling in an air strike on the gopher mounds. lol I only took a few shots with it (LOVED the thing) and I can't honestly say whether or not the bullets hit the gophers...but they did kill them, and did leave a plume of white dust about 8' high. lol We were shooting from an elevated position, down into a valley. All hand loads.

He converted that gun to 6.5 Creedmoor (Bartlein barrel) before Tikka offered that rifle in the caliber. Really loved how slick that rifle was, awesome magazine, accurate, compact, reasonable weight~tons going for it. It's since harvested a mule deer.

Congrats on yours, my first Tikka is probably a year or so down the road for me. Mine will be a varmint in .204
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
To say I'm technically challenged is an understatement. Still haven't figured out how to post pictures.

Colin
Download Tapatalk on your phone or tablet. It cost’s a couple of dollars but it’s well worth the saved frustration.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:57 AM

Default T3X accuaracy

I have the T3X and found the same thing with heavier bullets. Anything I feed it in 180gr are all over the place, I switched to 165's and 168's and the groups tightened right up to sub MOA.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 PM

Right on Colin,,, sounds like your getting it dialed in,,, I was planning on buying a swack of 308 boolitz the other day,,, but a friend of mine showed up with his trusty left handed 30/06 Remmy BDL that he's parting ways with...

He shot about 400 rounds threw it,,, but the old pipe has worn blue-ing,,, rifling is in real good shape....

I'll shot the barrel off of it, then put a 308 Winchester medium 3 on it,,, it will be my bush hunting rifle.

I put my 6.5x20 Leopold on it for now till I come up with the game plan,,, good old long auction so I can seat the boolitz long to the lands...

PS: I'm not sure if you reload,,, if so,,, try the ELD-X or M's since they say they work in 1:12 twist in the book...

My 1:10 and 1:10 1/4 sure likes them...
185 Juggernauts to...

Yo Yo Yo

👍
Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 PM

I have a T3X CTR in 308 (left hand) and I load 168gr hornady ELD-M in hornady brass. Shoots consistently half MOA, and admittedly even from bags, I'm not the greatest shot. First time shooting past 100 yards, I was hitting the 10 inch gong at 600 every shot. I have a cheap Nikon Black X1000 on it.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
When I was out there a few years back shooting gophers, a buddy of mine from Calgary brought his 308 CTR down to join the fun. Had a muzzle brake on it, and a fixed 10X US Optics scope. It was like calling in an air strike on the gopher mounds. lol I only took a few shots with it (LOVED the thing) and I can't honestly say whether or not the bullets hit the gophers...but they did kill them, and did leave a plume of white dust about 8' high. lol We were shooting from an elevated position, down into a valley. All hand loads.

He converted that gun to 6.5 Creedmoor (Bartlein barrel) before Tikka offered that rifle in the caliber. Really loved how slick that rifle was, awesome magazine, accurate, compact, reasonable weight~tons going for it. It's since harvested a mule deer.

Congrats on yours, my first Tikka is probably a year or so down the road for me. Mine will be a varmint in .204
I have a sako in 22,250 -I have tryed the lighter calibers-and 243--for yotes.But overall the 22.250 the most effective-Thats what years of experience has come down to---
Old 05-05-2019, 06:39 PM

I have a TRG 22 that has 1:11 twist and have no problem with 178 gr Amax bullets. Would try federal gold match with 185 bergers and see what it does.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:56 PM

1 in 11” twist .30 cal should stabilize 208-210gr. bullets no problem.

There are no absolutes