Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 07:21 PM

There is a lack of respect for firearms these days. The misinformation of positive uses of firearms by the media and Hollywood's constant blase representation of shooting violence and desensitization of the result of pulling the trigger makes for a bad mix. Proper handling training and realization of the impact of a trigger pull needs to become a bigger role in society. the majority of firearms handling exposure on tv makes people act like they are toys and if you line everything up just right when hunting then they kill an animal, otherwise people think they are just noisy holepunchers that can be flung around and casually handled, using rifle mounted optics to check things out. Very sad event.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
There is a lack of respect for firearms these days. The misinformation of positive uses of firearms by the media and Hollywood's constant blase representation of shooting violence and desensitization of the result of pulling the trigger makes for a bad mix. Proper handling training and realization of the impact of a trigger pull needs to become a bigger role in society. the majority of firearms handling exposure on tv makes people act like they are toys and if you line everything up just right when hunting then they kill an animal, otherwise people think they are just noisy holepunchers that can be flung around and casually handled, using rifle mounted optics to check things out. Very sad event.
It’s not a “these days” problem. There have always been firearms accidents, the rate of incidence has gone way down from the old days.
That poor kid must have been so scared after shooting someone, I can’t even imagine.

Charges will have to be laid probably as in all of these kinds of cases.
I hope the kid fares ok. Jim a schoolmate of mine accidentally killed his friend with an “unloaded” shotgun in grade 4. Jim was severely affected, mostly by the public shaming that occurred all the time. The whispers at parties etc. He didn’t stand a chance at a normal life.

Thats what the vigilantes want to do with this kid, it won’t change the past to destroy someone.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 PM
Gone Hunting

I also know someone scared for life by just such an accident.

Two kids, one 12 the other ten. They were hunting, the 12 year old had the only gun. Thought it was unloaded, pointed it at his sister and said bang as he pulled the trigger. Sister never walked again.
Brother never forgave himself. Wound up in a mental institution.

I don't even know if either is still alive, this happened in the early 1960s.
They would be in their seventies and eighties now.

That's an awful long sentence to have to serve.

I grew up hearing about how we must take firearm safety seriously so it wouldn't happen to us.
If not for his mistake it might have been me.

George Bernard Shaw