Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 02:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
And he said he is happy how things were dealt with!!
Why are some making more out of this?
Hoping for a speedy recovery.
WDF
Yup. He was there, I wasn’t. I’ll take his word for it. In his own mind he might even accept that he was partially to blame. Either way, I think that it’s pretty classy to not hold a grudge against the young fella. I’m sure that the young fella feels bad enough.

Why are some making more of this? Because it makes them feel superior.....too smart for anything like this ever to happen to them. I wouldn’t bring that bad karma on myself.

He sounds like a pretty leveled guy and I wish him a quick and full recovery.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:17 AM

I am not going to play judge on this and simply say this is scary stuff. I would not want to be in the victims or the kids shoes

Be careful everyone and play safe
Old 10-13-2020, 04:20 AM

I wear an orange toque, "hunters" in Alberta terrify me.
Of one who has done well
Old 10-13-2020, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
If I drink & drive and kill/heavily injure someone, kindly remove my licence please.
I don't give a poo if he is young, he is playing with items that are for proper minded adults. This is far
beyond making a mistake. Far.Period.

This "oops is dam near intentional, a very dangerous operator if he is in possession of a PAL.
(what good was the training?)
There is nil reason to shoot anything you cannot confirm, if dim lighting is the excuse >>
you have no rightful reason to pull that trigger. If I get shot out in the bush, I will not be nice !!

Please....we sit and type with no real clue what exactly went on just a horrible outcome....you and I can be nice though....

This incident will scare those involved for life both mentally and physically...hope all can get through this.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-13-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I am not going to play judge on this and simply say this is scary stuff. I would not want to be in the victims or the kids shoes

Be careful everyone and play safe
Spot on.....sad though how an incident sparks people to get really cautious kinda like a hard reality reminder....we all get a little complacent in life.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:31 AM

According to the victim, he was sitting in his stand on crown land, not on the shooters land, so did the shooter even hold a cougar license? Was there even an open season for cougar in that wmu? If the shooter was not legally licensed to hunt cougar, and/or he was not in a wmu where there was an open cougar season, that the shooter had no legal right to shoot a cougar. So even if the shooter assumed that the victim was a cougar, his intention to shoot that cougar was not legal. So not only was this a case of negligence with a firearm, if the shooter was not legally allowed to harvest a cougar, it was also a case of someone intending to poach an animal.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
According to the victim, he was sitting in his stand on crown land, not on the shooters land, so did the shooter even hold a cougar license? Was there even an open season for cougar in that wmu? If the shooter was not legally licensed to hunt cougar, and/or he was not in a wmu where there was an open cougar season, that the shooter had no legal right to shoot a cougar. So even if the shooter assumed that the victim was a cougar, his intention to shoot that cougar was not legal. So not only was this a case of negligence with a firearm, if the shooter was not legally allowed to harvest a cougar, it was also a case of someone intending to poach an animal.
Who knows....just a horrible incident is what we do know.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Who knows....just a horrible incident is what we do know.
It was stated on Facebook, where this link originated, that the shooters sister came to the shooter and the father, and told them that she saw a cougar. The shooter then apparently fired assuming that he was shooting a cougar.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
It was stated on Facebook, where this link originated, that the shooters sister came to the shooter and the father, and told them that she saw a cougar. The shooter then apparently fired assuming that he was shooting a cougar.
Yes that part we know the rest are just if's and maybe's with regards to having a license etc.....

This fella is reaching out to remind hunters etc to ensure you know what your aiming at etc....seems to be very grateful and level headed given what he went through which is nice to see.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
you never made a mistake?...be it this young fella did..horrible for all involved...be nice is one small step....its an easy step and we are all capable of this....you, me and the other keyboard jury's have no clue...other than hope all a recovery from this.
You do not make mistakes with firearms and firearm safety. The results can be catastrophic. Not only did he not identify his target you have to ask what part of the animal was he placing his shot? Or was he just blindly shooting at mass???
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 AM

Few years back almost got shot by my experienced hunting partner. He was using one of my rifles, driving my jeep/scout and on my land. At last light a deer, he the shooter and me all lined up on different side of willow slough.
Bullets cut trough the willows, zinged by my ears and into the ground on both sides of me.
Accident or careless shooting???
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default I Wear Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...27206501131844

My wife asked "was he wearing Orange" I responded "nobody in Alberta wears hunters orange

Poor b**yard. Speedy recovery.
You can tell your wife one person on AO Dose wear hunter Orange I don't leave the truck without it and i don't care what people think about it.

as for the shooting no comment.

Last edited by savageguy model 111; 10-13-2020 at 08:35 AM. Reason: adding
Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
You do not make mistakes with firearms and firearm safety. The results can be catastrophic. Not only did he not identify his target you have to ask what part of the animal was he placing his shot? Or was he just blindly shooting at mass???
Exactly, purposely firing a rifle at an unknown object s not a minor mistake, the consequences can be the loss of human life. I don't care whether it's hunting or target shooting, I have zero tolerance for people that don't handle firearms safely. If I take someone hunting, or if someone shoots target or clays with us, even the most minor firearm safety violations are not tolerated.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
hmmm been around some highly trained people with regards to firearms/weapons etc and yes mistakes happen even at that level of training...so that being said it happened....like mentioned before the words that needed to be shared/lessens learnt are just be careful....we all can take something from this....

Old 10-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Exactly, purposely firing a rifle at an unknown object s not a minor mistake, the consequences can be the loss of human life. I don't care whether it's hunting or target shooting, I have zero tolerance for people that don't handle firearms safely. If I take someone hunting, or if someone shoots target or clays with us, even the most minor firearm safety violations are not tolerated.
as with all of us we step in and put corrective actions in place immediately to ensure there is no repeats attempting to embed this into the individual...firearms training is just the first step that needs to be repeated all the time even with seasoned people we have seen some things that needed to be a friendly reminder now this was a young fella who made a grave mistake and now it is shared as a reminder to all.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
hmmm been around some highly trained people with regards to firearms/weapons etc and yes mistakes happen even at that level of training...so that being said it happened....like mentioned before the words that needed to be shared/lessens learnt are just be careful....we all can take something from this....
How many of those highly trained people you were around mistook another human for a game animal and fired at them? We not only have to know exactly which species an animal is, but in most cases the class of animal as well.

I have witnessed several firearms safety violations over the years, but in over 45 years of hunting, I have never witnessed anyone that I hunted with fire at a human that they mistook for an animal, That is the most serious of all firearms violations. It isn't an accidental discharge, since the person intentionally pulled the trigger, it is a negligent discharge.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
How many of those highly trained people you were around mistook another human for a game animal and fired at them? We not only have to know exactly which species an animal is, but in most cases the class of animal as well.
I am agreeing with you...this was a horrible mistake and a reminder to all from new to old...

Old 10-13-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageguy model 111 View Post
You can tell your wife one person on AO Dose wear hunter Orange I don't leave the truck without it and i don't care what people think about it.

as for the shooting no comment.
Clearly was hyperbole but I think I may cross over to the dark side myself. Or in this case the orange side. I like to skulk unseen in the woods and feel more effective without the light bulb glowing over my head. Blah blah deer vision blah blah I get it but as a bow hunter it feels so counter intuitive.

As for the 14 year old, we don't know the whole story. Maybe the family has had some cougar predation recently. having said that, I would not be letting my 14 year old rack a shell without my instruction to do so, and certainly not and make his own decision on what or when to shoot.

Kudos to the victim for his forgiveness.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I have witnessed several firearms safety violations over the years, but in over 45 years of hunting, I have never witnessed anyone that I hunted with fire at a human that they mistook for an animal, That is the most serious of all firearms violations. It isn't an accidental discharge, since the person intentionally pulled the trigger, it is a negligent discharge.
Yup. Kids get excited though and need to be carefully supervised, apparently this time it didn’t go like that.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:29 PM

Teach them! to become hunters! Great hunters, Not off a game they watch at home! Real life teaching! Half this kids could not start a fire if their life depended on it!
Quote:
Why? Because this type of behavior should never be acceptable. A life could easily have been lost due to negligence with a firearm.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:32 PM

Both should lose their hunting privileges for life.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:33 PM

I Agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Both should lose their hunting privileges for life.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:48 PM

14 yr old boy just might be quicker than his dad. Kid hit what he was aiming at in half light, camo'd, altitude, adrenalized, & in a hurry. Kid has firearms experience.

Dad just might have drilled firearms safety into the kid lots, one hyped up mistake he'll feel bad about forever!

Flippin US military, most advanced in the world, adults, most advanced technology & training available.....how many friendly fire incidents/training accidents ?

I'll give the kid a pass on this one.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
14 yr old boy just might be quicker than his dad. Kid hit what he was aiming at in half light, camo'd, altitude, adrenalized, & in a hurry. Kid has firearms experience.

Dad just might have drilled firearms safety into the kid lots, one hyped up mistake he'll feel bad about forever!

Flippin US military, most advanced in the world, adults, most advanced technology & training available.....how many friendly fire incidents/training accidents ?

I'll give the kid a pass on this one.
Not with his old man by his side! if he was? And he should have been! No excuse!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:02 PM

No accountability Today!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
No accountability Today!
You have kids that drive a vehicle? We teach them at home lots, send them to expensive driving experts, first thing kid does driving alone gets a speeding ticket. Or hits the ditch the first icy winter roads.

Using a machine that kills infinitely more people than guns. Glad my kids are past that, glad I didn't feel the need to cane them when they told me.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
You have kids that drive a vehicle? We teach them at home lots, send them to expensive driving experts, first thing kid does driving alone gets a speeding ticket. Or hits the ditch the first icy winter roads.

Using a machine that kills infinitely more people than guns. Glad my kids are past that, glad I didn't feel the need to cane them when they told me.
When a kid drives a vehicle, the intent isn't to end a life. When he aims a hunting rifle at a living being , and intentionally pulls the trigger, he does intend to end a life. When the kid gets a speeding ticket, it doesn't cost anyone their life, or cripple them, huge difference in consequences.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-13-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
When a kid drives a vehicle, the intent isn't to end a life. When he aims a hunting rifle at a living being , and intentionally pulls the trigger, he does intend to end a life. When the kid gets a speeding ticket, it doesn't cost anyone their life, so that is a bad analogy.
Speed kills, the faster the speed, more dead people, often involving others. Kid didn't intentionally hurt a person, speeders don't either.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Speed kills, the faster the speed, more dead people, often involving others. Kid didn't intentionally hurt a person, speeders don't either.
The shooter intentionally tried to end a life , but he was just too stupid to know whose life he was trying to end. But the fact that he badly injured a man , and may have left the man crippled, he needs to be held accountable.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
The shooter intentionally tried to end a life , but he was just too stupid to know whose life he was trying to end. But the fact that he badly injured a man , and may have left the man crippled, he needs to be held accountable.
Fair enough. You have your concept of accountability, I have mine. I have no idea what would be fair punishment. They'll both live with this forever, I hope they both heal from the scars.