Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Talbot for Gio, straight up? !!

You think Talbot has any trade value with his numbers? For a player of Paryko's value?? Not every GM does Chia deals....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I wasn't aware that Demers was injured but I did look at his stats and that was the first that stood out, he is maxing out at 65 games a season and I imagine that is due to injury.

Draft picks....... If they Oilers used their picks to get a player now which improves their record, then that draft pick has less value. I think the Oilers are use to having and scared to trade away a 10 ten pick. Have a little confidence in the team and use that pick now to better the team.

We were all laughing and making fun of the Flames for having no picks last year...... who's laughing now?
It's hard to draft D men. It's only the very rare player that makes the jump directly from junior to the NHL, and they ALL have their struggles along the way (Dahlin included). It's far more of a long term game when it comes to drafting D men, so I'm on board with swapping a couple picks to shore up the D, IF, it's the right D man. (aka, NOT Reinhart)

I'd like to see Jones get into some game action while he's up. He's shown a lot of potential this year in Bakersfield.

Bear seems to have regressed, or he's having trouble getting back to 100% after his injury. Either way, he's slid a fair ways down the depth chart. Too bad, he looked really promising. Hopefully he'll get his mojo back.

There's a few others with potential, all will take time.

I have faith in Bouchard. He'll be part of the Oilers' top pairing for a long time to come, but he's going to have his growing pains along the way too.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Talbot for Gio, straight up? !!

You think Talbot has any trade value with his numbers? For a player of Paryko's value?? Not every GM does Chia deals....
Hahaha. I'm amazed it took someone that long to jump on that! Of course that's not happening, not even close lol, simply some bait for the Flames fans trolling the thread.

Flames bait aside, did you actually read any of my posts? I was the first one to say that Talbot's value is too low to get anything good in return, unless, they seriously sweeten the deal with picks or prospects.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Demers was injured but I did look at his stats and that was the first that stood out, he is maxing out at 65 games a season and I imagine that is due to injury.

Draft picks....... If they Oilers used their picks to get a player now which improves their record, then that draft pick has less value. I think the Oilers are use to having and scared to trade away a 10 ten pick. Have a little confidence in the team and use that pick now to better the team.

We were all laughing and making fun of the Flames for having no picks last year...... who's laughing now?
Trading draft pick renders immediate results (like you're seeing now), but hurt a lot later down the road. Good drafting can help avoid that though, and the Flames have been pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough in the past decade. Gaudreau in the 4th round, Brodie in the 4th round, Gio undrafted, Ferland (of course he's traded now) in the 5th round.

Meanwhile, looking at my beloved Oilers, only players on the roster who are drafted from out of the first round and are regularly contributing players is Khaira in the 3rd round. McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klef, Nurse all in the first, and majority in the top 10. Awful drafting and player development for the last 15 years.

At least things are starting to look up with Jones, McLeod, Lagesson, Bear, Benson, all of whom are budding well in the AHL and were drafted outside the first lol
Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Hahaha. I'm amazed it took someone that long to jump on that! Of course that's not happening, not even close lol, simply some bait for the Flames fans trolling the thread.

Flames bait aside, did you actually read any of my posts? I was the first one to say that Talbot's value is too low to get anything good in return, unless, they seriously sweeten the deal with picks or prospects.

Well I did read your posts, so I was kind of confused how you went from Talbot is worthless to floating Gio and Paryko (and prospects? What prospects?) for trade....thought your transmission was slipping pretty bad there!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
It's hard to draft D men. It's only the very rare player that makes the jump directly from junior to the NHL, and they ALL have their struggles along the way (Dahlin included). It's far more of a long term game when it comes to drafting D men, so I'm on board with swapping a couple picks to shore up the D, IF, it's the right D man. (aka, NOT Reinhart)

I'd like to see Jones get into some game action while he's up. He's shown a lot of potential this year in Bakersfield.

Bear seems to have regressed, or he's having trouble getting back to 100% after his injury. Either way, he's slid a fair ways down the depth chart. Too bad, he looked really promising. Hopefully he'll get his mojo back.

There's a few others with potential, all will take time.

I have faith in Bouchard. He'll be part of the Oilers' top pairing for a long time to come, but he's going to have his growing pains along the way too.

My point exactly, Klefbom, Larson, Nurse, Gravel are all young men. Couple that with Bouchard, Jones and Bear if he comes around, the future is looking good. What we need is help now.

There is rumors they also might be shopping Puljujarvi
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well I did read your posts, so I was kind of confused how you went from Talbot is worthless to floating Gio and Paryko (and prospects? What prospects?) for trade....thought your transmission was slipping pretty bad there!
Any of the prospects listed above and a few more have value, some more than others. Skinner has big value IMHO. Bouchard extremely valuable.

It's gonna take a player and high draft pickS to get a deal done for a top pairing D man, that's just a fact of life.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My point exactly, Klefbom, Larson, Nurse, Gravel are all young men. Couple that with Bouchard, Jones and Bear if he comes around, the future is looking good. What we need is help now.

There is rumors they also might be shopping Puljujarvi
I don't disagree at all, I'm right there with you. I think the D corps will be very solid in 1-3 years. We need a shorter term fix, but that's so much easier said than done.

In today's younger, faster NHL, where youth and entry level contracts have become THE most important assets, draft picks are incredibly valuable. I'm willing to give up some high picks, maybe even a 1st rounder given our likely finish in the standings, BUT, it has to be for a LEGIT top pairing D man. Otherwise I'd rather keep Talbot and hope that we draft better. The Oilers drafting was TERRIBLE under the Lowe/Tambellini regime, just TERRIBLE, but it's been significantly better the last couple years, at least in terms of mid to late round picks.

Which brings us to Puljujarvi. I don't think he has much trade value unless he's packaged up as the "prospect" in a bigger deal. He's too raw and the risk is too high. The skills are there, so someone would definitely gamble on him if the price was right, but then it's likely the Oilers are on the losing end of any deal. I think he could easily be the next "why the hell did we trade that guy" candidate a la Taylor Hall. He could also continue to struggle to be a Top 6 forward and never really live up to his draft position. I could honestly see both scenarios happening.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree at all, I'm right there with you. I think the D corps will be very solid in 1-3 years. We need a shorter term fix, but that's so much easier said than done.

In today's younger, faster NHL, where youth and entry level contracts have become THE most important assets, draft picks are incredibly valuable. I'm willing to give up some high picks, maybe even a 1st rounder given our likely finish in the standings, BUT, it has to be for a LEGIT top pairing D man. Otherwise I'd rather keep Talbot and hope that we draft better. The Oilers drafting was TERRIBLE under the Lowe/Tambellini regime, just TERRIBLE, but it's been significantly better the last couple years, at least in terms of mid to late round picks.

Which brings us to Puljujarvi. I don't think he has much trade value unless he's packaged up as the "prospect" in a bigger deal. He's too raw and the risk is too high. The skills are there, so someone would definitely gamble on him if the price was right, but then it's likely the Oilers are on the losing end of any deal. I think he could easily be the next "why the hell did we trade that guy" candidate a la Taylor Hall. He could also continue to struggle to be a Top 6 forward and never really live up to his draft position. I could honestly see both scenarios happening.
I don’t have high hopes for Puljujarvi. Everyone speaks about him like a rookie or prospect. He’s a 3 year NHLr that keeps getting sent down and brought back.
He’s not a rookie or a prospect anymore. Taylor Hall came to the NHL and stayed in the bigs. No comparison. Jesse plays for a team with no depth that constantly send guys up and down. It’s a yo yo show. Any other team and Jesse would have been sent to Bakersfield last year and stayed down there. For a player picked 4th overall that year, he sucks in Bakersfield and he sucks in the NHL.

Last edited by 1899b; 12-14-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Talbot (UFA) and Puljujarvi (RFA) are both on expiring contracts.

Speaking generally, players on expiring contracts tend to have a decreased trade value. The team that acquires this type of player runs the risk of losing them in summer for nothing. The closer the season gets to the trade deadline, the closer the players come to having 'rental' status.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I don’t have high hopes for Puljujarvi. Everyone speaks about him like a rookie or prospect. He’s a 3 year NHLr that keeps getting sent down and brought back. He’s not a rookie or a prospect anymore.

For a player picked 4th overall that year, he sucks in Bakersfield and he sucks in the NHL.
He's played 114 games in the NHL over those three seasons, and in most of those games he saw well below 10 mins of ice time in a 3rd or 4th line role. Obviously McLellan didn't love what he was seeing, but it's hard to really evaluate the kid based on that resume alone.

He put up 0.71 pts/gm as a rookie in the AHL and was a pt/gm player in the AHL in his short stint down there this year. Those are pretty solid numbers, but I know, don't confuse you with the facts.

He's big, he's fast, and he can shoot, so the tools are there. He lacks some hockey sense, especially defensively, but if he can ever figure it out, he could be a great player. I haven't lost hope.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
He's played 114 games in the NHL over those three seasons, and in most of those games he saw well below 10 mins of ice time in a 3rd or 4th line role. Obviously McLellan didn't love what he was seeing, but it's hard to really evaluate the kid based on that resume alone.

He put up 0.71 pts/gm as a rookie in the AHL and was a pt/gm player in the AHL in his short stint down there this year. Those are pretty solid numbers, but I know, don't confuse you with the facts.

He's big, he's fast, and he can shoot, so the tools are there. He lacks some hockey sense, especially defensively, but if he can ever figure it out, he could be a great player. I haven't lost hope.
I can respect that. I just have seen too many European floaters with tons of skill over many years of being an NHL fan. We will see..
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:

https://soundcloud.com/thenielsonsho...d-wings-112317

BW
Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I stopped that song as soon as I heard the opening riff.
That’s blasphemic to screw up that classic...
Old 12-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Giant goalies with solid positioning. Kosk has had superior positioning all season. That, coupled with his size, stops pucks. Based on those 2 factors, I believe the oilers would have allowed 2 less goals in last nights game. If kosk can keep up his great positioning, his size will do half the work for him. We need to start him as often as possible. Without crossing the line and burning him out.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 PM

Ooooooohhh man

Big game big game!!!!

Back to back....

2 key D out

Boys r gonna dig deep fer this win!!!

Go Mighty Oil!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 PM

I think Philly is not full of Brotherly Love tonight...in fact I suspect they are still seriously choked about blowing a two goal lead and losing in the last 68 seconds of reg and 35 seconds of OT. Expect that they will be looking for some points to take home, plus some pride. Hope it's a great fast game. Watch out for Gudas...

Old 12-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Giant goalies with solid positioning. Kosk has had superior positioning all season. That, coupled with his size, stops pucks. Based on those 2 factors, I believe the oilers would have allowed 2 less goals in last nights game. If kosk can keep up his great positioning, his size will do half the work for him. We need to start him as often as possible. Without crossing the line and burning him out.
Damn well gives me flash backs from the 70's (1970's) when my favourite team at the time were the BIG BAD BRUINS and that "rookie" goalie Ken Dryden stopped everything we thru at him
Old 12-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Absolutely amazing how alone Chaisson was, and for how long before they dummied up that he was all alone in slot. Good goal, but brutal defense by Philly.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 PM

1-0

Ya baby!!!!

We so got this!!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Dats!!! A pen kill boys!!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Philly has the best faceoff in the league yet the worst power play in nhl history... how is that even possible when you win pp faceoffs and start with puck possession?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 PM

2 - bagel!!!!

Yeeeehaw!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 PM

3 - bagel!!!!!

Whoooo baby!!!

Domination man!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:25 PM

They should have played Talbot, at least then it would have been exciting trying to score enough goals to win, like the other night with Smith letting in eighty footers.....

Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM

An we gat dat!!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:38 PM

Good win, good win.

Nurse and Larrson looked tired at the end. Jones looked good and a like Gravel's game tonight.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Good win, good win.

Nurse and Larrson looked tired at the end. Jones looked good and a like Gravel's game tonight.
Yeah, Gravel had that great sprawling pass block that would probably have ended up in the net otherwise...pretty level headed.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 PM

3 points for that bum and inadequate sidekick Draisaitl. Into the top 10 and tied with wonderboy down hwy 2.

Dispelling more bunk.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:54 PM

Flyers coach should probably be let go at this point. They looked awful.

Big W for the Oil.