Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Default Driving tests

I was on another thread here a few minutes ago and there seems to be different experiences about getting your license. So instead of derailing that thread, I thought I would start another.

I got my license to drive truck in Saskatchewan some years ago. The written exam for air brakes and the drivers license was given by a provincial examiner as was the actual drivers test.

I would like to hear about how you got yours, was it all about a provincial examiner or did the private driving school give you any of the exams?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Exam for airbrakes and the knolwedge test were done at the registries.
The road test was at the registries, with a private Government approved tester.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Was this in Alberta?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ditto for my class 3.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Was this in Alberta?
Yes.
My understanding is all the exminers are all private but certified by the Government.

My time line for getting my Class One was 4 weeks.
I paid $2000
Air brakes was 200 of that. The remainder was for driving hours.
We started in just a tractor, after 1 hr of driving the instructor said we can try a trailer next time.
When I asked him why so fast to tow a trailer. He said we cant teach good driving skills here.
If you show up, know how to drive, have good techniques all we are going to do is fine tune those skills and add more inreguards to shifting 18 speeds and driving with big trailers.

He said all a driving school can do is say they recommend you to try the test or advise you to take more lessons. It is up to you the student to take their advice.
As for doing the actual test and passing. 90% of people i know failed the first time.
The majority of that was from second guessing themselves.

Some of the big oil companies use to offer in depth driver training/ mentoring programs. Which were awesome.
If you look at their accident statistics I am going to say more training does not equal better drivers. They have figured that out. them its more of a liabilty aspect.

Attitide and expierance is what will get you safely from point a to b.
Truck drivers are deemed unskilled labour when in fact comming down the smokey, hit some glare ice have a car slam its brakes on and swithch lanes to in front of you takes skill expierance and luck to not run them over.

Anyone can drive point a to b. Do it multiple times with out causing a crash. This all under ideal conditions. Its when the adverse conditions come into play where expierance and skill come into play.

To try and enforce a training program that is going to cover that is not pratical nor advantagous to our current truck driver issues.

The "not me movement" is in full force and it does not discriminate race or beliefs.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:36 PM

I received my class 2 and air brake training through Calgary transit. 1 week on strong arm buses, then a road test with a city trainer. Air brake course was prior to the 1 week training and it was a day course and test. They were actually tougher marking on the road test than the provincial standards at the time to pass. I can’t remember specifics but remember being shown a comparison and you could fail the transit road test ending your job prospects but would have passed a private one.
Somewhere around 2008 they dropped their standards and reduced training from 4 weeks to 2 weeks. I don’t know if they ever bumped it back up, but we got some terrifying drivers during that period...
I’ve been tempted to get my ace but don’t know if I want to drive again when I return to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Yes.
My understanding is all the exminers are all private but certified by the Government.

My time line for getting my Class One was 4 weeks.
I paid $2000
Air brakes was 200 of that. The remainder was for driving hours.
We started in just a tractor, after 1 hr of driving the instructor said we can try a trailer next time.

When I asked him why so fast to tow a trailer. He said we cant teach good driving skills here.
If you show up, know how to drive, have good techniques all we are going to do is fine tune those skills and add more inreguards to shifting 18 speeds and driving with big trailers.

He said all a driving school can do is say they recommend you to try the test or advise you to take more lessons. It is up to you the student to take their advice.
As for doing the actual test and passing. 90% of people i know failed the first time.
The majority of that was from second guessing themselves.

Some of the big oil companies use to offer in depth driver training/ mentoring programs. Which were awesome.
If you look at their accident statistics I am going to say more training does not equal better drivers. They have figured that out. them its more of a liabilty aspect.

Attitide and expierance is what will get you safely from point a to b.
Truck drivers are deemed unskilled labour when in fact comming down the smokey, hit some glare ice have a car slam its brakes on and swithch lanes to in front of you takes skill expierance and luck to not run them over.

Anyone can drive point a to b. Do it multiple times with out causing a crash. This all under ideal conditions. Its when the adverse conditions come into play where expierance and skill come into play.

To try and enforce a training program that is going to cover that is not pratical nor advantagous to our current truck driver issues.

The "not me movement" is in full force and it does not discriminate race or beliefs.
My experience was almost exactly the same as yours. I did mine in Edmonton and was lucky enough to have my road test on the Friday afternoon of the September long weekend, around 3 pm. It was brutal, but I passed so it ended up okay
Old 07-15-2018, 08:10 PM

I am wanting to get my class 1 as I bought a truck in February. Took the 1 day air brake course at gateway in Lethbridge then wrote the exam at the local registry in March. Also wrote the knowledge exam for the class 1 at the local registry. I have been driving the truck a couple times a week when i get the chance and hope to take the road test before the end of September. I am wondering if I should get some lessons from gateways driving school or just use the truck i have and take the test with it? While driving so far I have had a few different licensed drivers riding with me for instruction.