Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Recoil and Old Shooters

At 70 years old my shoulder bones are getting very close to the skin. Hurt is now there. I purchased a Limbsaver Shoulder pad, It should arrive Monday, Hopefully this will distribute the recoil over a wider area, and I will be able to enjoy my currant rifle in the years to come. Does anyone have experience with these.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Yes

They are pretty good at doing what your looking for. Another option would be a mercury filled tube in the rear stock that lessens felt recoil, but I have no personal experience with them, but reviews are good.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Yup

Most start out with sensible calibers then graduate to the magnum phase ,age and return to sensible calibers.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 AM

You may want to look at a radial brake.

It really does help
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM

I jus shoot smaller rifles fir the past many years - I never did recover fully from my neck/ shoulder damage
Cat
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Also just about at the 70 age, I do what Cat say's just shoot smaller calibers, and or don't shoot at all. The last few years have been, 2 or 3 shots just to check that stuff that has not changed for 50 years + or - and has not developed a desire to change.

3" high at 100 and good to go for all of my rifles to about 300 and aim for the big part behind shoulder. That's worked for the 50 years.

Not shooting, just me n dogs is more n more prevalent in my bird outings.

That said the prairie moose last fall, did not like the, 140 gr. TTSX in 7mmRM again in the big part. During the harvest did not notice noise or recoil.

Where the recoil get me now is on the skeet range, I'm taking up loading 3/4 oz. 12's that just barely dribble out of end of barrel!! When all the old supplies are gone, back to 20ga, n light shells.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Past or Limbsaver shooting pad for shoulder, good recoil pad on gun and yes Mercury recoil suppressors work great, especially on high volume shotgunning for clays. All three together will tame just about any gun.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:24 PM

I’m a little recoil sensitive as well my .270 is ok don’t do magnums. I’m a big fan of my .243 no kick and very lethal with 80 grain GMX’s or 100 grain SST’s. I’ve shot lots of elk and one moose with the gmx and had one shot kill’s on all. Only recovered a few bullets that weren’t complete pass throughs even after big bone contact.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 PM

The Limbsaver made a night and day difference on the #1 in 450/400, they are a good investment, and they really do work. I haven't reached any particularly recoil sensitive stage yet, but, no percentage in beating yourself up if you don't have to.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
I’m a little recoil sensitive as well my .270 is ok don’t do magnums. I’m a big fan of my .243 no kick and very lethal with 80 grain GMX’s or 100 grain SST’s. I’ve shot lots of elk and one moose with the gmx and had one shot kill’s on all. Only recovered a few bullets that weren’t complete pass throughs even after big bone contact.
No way that's possible.

Great info.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Yes, the shoulder pad idea is awesome.

The only time I don't use it is when I'm hunting, other than that its a full time thing at the range.

Lots of fired rounds on the weekends with the mid size bores.

Don
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
No way that's possible.

Great info.
Dead animals can’t talk
Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Nobody gets away without recoil and nobody realizes it as much as us older guys. I shoot a lot of mid-bores and after a few rounds it definitely has some negative effects on what goes on down at the terminal end. My rifles are on the heavier side, nine to 11 pounds which does make a difference but sometimes not quite enough.
For those with lighter rifles who find themselves in a similar situation, I will offer up this method of reducing felt recoil.

First is a Caldwell sand filled rifle rest (or similar) I think they cost about $45.00. Second is a rifle sling. When setting up the bag, place your sling under the bag with the sling fitting a tight as practical to the front of the bag. This is effectively adding weight to your rifle during recoil which will produce a notable reduction in the remainder of the recoil that is transferred to your body, at least according to Newton, and it does work well for me. With a good rifle fit and decent shooting form it may just do it for you.. especially for those who deplore muzzle brakes.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

I'm not old, I'm not recoil sensitive but I have limbsavers on a few different rifles and they work great.

I figured I'd be proactive in my choice of cartridges and the bows I shoot. I switched to lighter recoil rifles and lower poundage bows. The rifles worked out but I can shoot bows under 70lbs very well. 74lb draw seems to be my sweet spot, but I like rifles as easy light recoiled as possible.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Use what you use. I don't think LimbSavers or Declerators are the are the latest thing either. Millions of shooters use them .. muzzle brakes too.

Recoil sensitivity and recoil management are two different things. That's not new either... or is it ?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'm not old, I'm not recoil sensitive but I have limbsavers on a few different rifles and they work great.

I figured I'd be proactive in my choice of cartridges and the bows I shoot. I switched to lighter recoil rifles and lower poundage bows. The rifles worked out but I can shoot bows under 70lbs very well. 74lb draw seems to be my sweet spot, but I like rifles as easy light recoiled as possible.
What caliber do you use?
Oh wait lol
Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Decelerator pads where the best at one time . The limbsaver and kickeez pads are now better than the Decelerator for recoil . However that being said the Decelerator will grind up and finish a little nicer than the others
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Dead animals can’t talk
yes, but those of us with some experience can call you on it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
yes, but those of us with some experience can call you on it.
I’m not here to be an *****hole or sound like I know everything about this topic but I think you might not have the experience your talking about. My field experiences speaks for itself shot placement and comfort level with my rifle speaks for itself. its the low RECOIL that helps me attain good shots. I would not suggest everyone use a .243 for hunting because not everyone can shoot straight at a live target or be honest with themselves about there abilities to do so. The three 80 grain GMX’s I have recovered were between 76-78 grains. Just saying and good luck to you
Old 07-12-2018, 05:26 PM

Default fix....

At the range and for sight in, use a life jacket. Eliminates all the pain. In the field, never noticed or felt the recoil.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM

Default Got It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
At 70 years old my shoulder bones are getting very close to the skin. Hurt is now there. I purchased a Limbsaver Shoulder pad, It should arrive Monday, Hopefully this will distribute the recoil over a wider area, and I will be able to enjoy my currant rifle in the years to come. Does anyone have experience with these.
The Limbsaver shoulder pad came in yesterday, I thought the rubber pad in it was a little too flexible, so I added an 1/8" thick piece of rubber gasket material to it, to stiffen it, and spread the recoil over a wider area. I tested it out today, firing a box of 300 gr 375 H&H at maximum loads, and a box of 150 grain 3006 max loads extremely decreased felt recoil. No sore shoulder today. And I did get some very acceptable groups. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer Pete View Post
At the range and for sight in, use a life jacket. Eliminates all the pain. In the field, never noticed or felt the recoil.
I zero my rifles from a bench rest initial but practice at the range from the same positions I would in the field .
I don't add anything to try and compensate for once I have the proper length of the rifle set up.
I know what I can and cannot handle as far as rifles go .
Cat
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 PM

Default Lead Sled at the range

I always use a Lead Sled at the range - particularly for the 300WinMag, otherwise my shooting day would be pretty short.

I've also worked up a lighter load for my 25-06 so that my young teenage son would be comfortable. I dialled it down to be close to a .243 which is ideal for the WT he'll be hunting.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Banned

Recoil begins at .40 and then at 40 years. It's a down hill slide for most of us.

My Magnums are all gone .

Favorites now are my 6x45 and .222 Remington.

If I Big Game hunt again, I'll use a 6.5x55 , or a 7x57 or it's cousin the 280.

I'll leave my Ruger #1 .303 for when I need a bigbore.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 PM

I gave up on the 300RUM and the 338x8mmremmag, and went back to the 7mmstw. With a McMillan stock and Decellerator recoil pad, and a little more weight in the barrel, I find recoil quite tolerable, for the amount I shoot the rifle. I prefer the feel of the Decellerator over the Limbsaver, even though it doesn't reduce felt recoil quite as much.. I actually find more issues with recoil when shooting clays do to the volume of shots fired, so I use 1 ounce loads for sporting clays, and I shoot skeet with the 28 gauge and the 410.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb274181 View Post
I always use a Lead Sled at the range - particularly for the 300WinMag, otherwise my shooting day would be pretty short.

I've also worked up a lighter load for my 25-06 so that my young teenage son would be comfortable. I dialled it down to be close to a .243 which is ideal for the WT he'll be hunting.
A lead Sled is the last thing I would want to use. Very unnatural shooting position and a good way to crack a stock if you are adding weight to the sled. If shooting lots of rounds off a bench go with a heavier rifle that has a side discharge brake. My 14 lb 6.5X47 has almost zero recoil. My 10 lb 2oz 300 Win Mag I could shoot all day with the Holland brake. This rifle sends a 215 Berger at 3000 fps so it is not a mild load either. Get a set of noise canceling ear plugs and you are set for the range and hunting with no recoil to worry about. Brakes make a huge difference.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Most start out with sensible calibers then graduate to the magnum phase ,age and return to sensible calibers.
Yup.
Nice handling rifle that naturally comes up, on target then a crisp snap of recoil and still see the animal in the scope all while cycling the bolt getting ready to place another if needed....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Brakes are great but please move to the far end of the benches so others don't have to put up with your muzzle blast.

I find most sharp shouldered round tend to recoil sharper then lipstick type cases (.308 vs .300h&h) Same caliber much different recoil.

I still have a couple heavy hitters, 9.3x62,.375 H&H etc. but like most have gone back to my youth and shoot a LOT of varmint rounds now or really heavy bench guns.

Recoil has never been my friend and it drives me nuts when I hear, watch people give there partner, kid a heavy recoiling rifle, watch them get hurt and then laugh about it. Recoil does NOT make you a MAN.

Recoil is one of those things that once you become recoil sensitive it is VERY hard to overcome the effects and your accuracy and enjoyment of the sport diminishes with its effects.

Also stock fit has a HUGE effect on recoil, find a rifle that fits, drive the gun store staff crazy, then walk out with the rifle that fits YOU not the one that looks cool.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup.
Nice handling rifle that naturally comes up, on target then a crisp snap of recoil and still see the animal in the scope all while cycling the bolt getting ready to place another if needed....
What a perfect scenario you picture. Can you actually pull that one off ?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 PM

Default heavy guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
A lead Sled is the last thing I would want to use. Very unnatural shooting position and a good way to crack a stock if you are adding weight to the sled. If shooting lots of rounds off a bench go with a heavier rifle that has a side discharge brake. My 14 lb 6.5X47 has almost zero recoil. My 10 lb 2oz 300 Win Mag I could shoot all day with the Holland brake. This rifle sends a 215 Berger at 3000 fps so it is not a mild load either. Get a set of noise canceling ear plugs and you are set for the range and hunting with no recoil to worry about. Brakes make a huge difference.
Those are some heavy rifles! Part of the reason for the lead sled is also to reduce shooter inadequacy when building up loads and sighting in. Once I know that both the ammunition and rifle are accurate, then it must be the shooter's (my) screw up when I miss.