Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM

Default Cwd

https://www.drdeer.com/newsletter.php?id=129

Just something to think about. I’ve done a fair bit of CWD research and I’ve often thought about how much CWD infected meat gets consumed, especially in the states, and I have never heard anything about it being contracted to a human.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Think about the source.

No different than giving credence to PETA's position on hunting....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Recently filled out an Alberta Survey that was asking lots of questions about how to control CWD and what would Alberta hunters support. To me the big risk is it getting into domestic animals. Second risk is if it mutates or starts to jump to humans form proximity or consumption. The fact that billions have been spent trying to study/control it across North America and no cure, cause or effective control has been found seems suspicious.

There may be no proof yet that CWD will jump but I will have all animals tested and if one comes out positive I sure as heck wouldn't eat it.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Recently filled out an Alberta Survey that was asking lots of questions about how to control CWD and what would Alberta hunters support. To me the big risk is it getting into domestic animals. Second risk is if it mutates or starts to jump to humans form proximity or consumption. The fact that billions have been spent trying to study/control it across North America and no cure, cause or effective control has been found seems suspicious.

There may be no proof yet that CWD will jump but I will have all animals tested and if one comes out positive I sure as heck wouldn't eat it.
It’s already in domestic animals. Cows (bse) sheep (scrapies). All their own form. As far as I can tell from what I read it cannot jump species. In fact I’ve even heard the original CWD mule deer in 1967 were injected with the sheep version (scrapies) as an experiment and got loose.

My point to this whole thread is to think about this in another way. Think about all the CWD infected meat that gets consumed every year. Of all the CWD infected deer I’ve seen or heard about in my own dealings were all healthy and had no physical signs of having CWD. It’s always the same 3 or 4 pics you see on the net of imaciated ungulates with CWD that were near death. How many deer/elk/moose walking around have CWD that are perfectly healthy with no physical limitations or signs of having CWD? Do they live and die no differently then the alternative?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM

IMHO. I will continue to consume wild meat always have and always will. Its a shame that something soo misunderstood has such big consequences....
Grocery store meat and produce should have an RX/pesticide/preservative warning on it just like the nutriton facts. Far worst then cwd.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
IMHO. I will continue to consume wild meat always have and always will. Its a shame that something soo misunderstood has such big consequences....
Grocery store meat and produce should have an RX/pesticide/preservative warning on it just like the nutriton facts. Far worst then cwd.
Agree! At the start of the year I was pretty apprehensive about eating my deer from CWD Wmu and not wanting to store the meat for a whole year to wait for +/- results. I think now though I’m just going to continue on as normal. If it doesn’t look healthy don’t eat it.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
Agree! At the start of the year I was pretty apprehensive about eating my deer from CWD Wmu and not wanting to store the meat for a whole year to wait for +/- results. I think now though I’m just going to continue on as normal. If it doesn’t look healthy don’t eat it.
10000%. Our judgment is our best defense. We as outdoorsmen should not be discouraged by a few cases that are made to look worst then they are.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
It’s already in domestic animals. Cows (bse) sheep (scrapies). All their own form. As far as I can tell from what I read it cannot jump species. In fact I’ve even heard the original CWD mule deer in 1967 were injected with the sheep version (scrapies) as an experiment and got loose.

My point to this whole thread is to think about this in another way. Think about all the CWD infected meat that gets consumed every year. Of all the CWD infected deer I’ve seen or heard about in my own dealings were all healthy and had no physical signs of having CWD. It’s always the same 3 or 4 pics you see on the net of imaciated ungulates with CWD that were near death. How many deer/elk/moose walking around have CWD that are perfectly healthy with no physical limitations or sign? Do they live and die no differently then the alternatives of having CWD?
From what I understand about CWD (I'm no expert), in recent testing CWD was successfully transmitted to monkeys via Injections and Ingestion of tainted meat. Furthermore, the incubation period like most transmissible diseases can vary greatly for one disease to the next from one species to the next. One of the big unknowns with Neurodegenerative disease is what causes them and how long a person has it until physical symptoms begin to surface. Alzheimer's, Dementia, Parkinsons, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE in cattle), Scrapie (in sheep), and CWD (in cervids) are all Neurodegenerative disease. CWD in theory could have been transmitted to humans it just hasn't shown up yet as it could be undetectable for a long period of time. Hence to your point do they live and die no differently then the alternatives of having CWD? I have a loved one who currently has Parkinson and I've known several few folks (as many others do) whom had loved ones with Alzheimer's/Dementia, not something I would ever want to have to deal with. They are horrible diseases for the person whom has it, worse I think for those loved ones around them.

The scariest part for me is that CWD is not a virus or bacteria its a prion and hence its almost impossible to exterminate. How many of us have had game processed in the same facilities that CWD infected cervids had been previously processed? CWD in my opinion is not something we should just shovel under the carpet.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
From what I understand about CWD (I'm no expert), in recent testing CWD was successfully transmitted to monkeys via Injections and Ingestion of tainted meat. Furthermore, the incubation period like most transmissible diseases can vary greatly for one disease to the next from one species to the next. One of the big unknowns with Neurodegenerative disease is what causes them and how long a person has it until physical symptoms begin to surface. Alzheimer's, Dementia, Parkinsons, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE in cattle), Scrapie (in sheep), and CWD (in cervids) are all Neurodegenerative disease. CWD in theory could have been transmitted to humans it just hasn't shown up yet as it could be undetectable for a long period of time. Hence to your point do they live and die no differently then the alternatives of having CWD? I have a loved one who currently has Parkinson and I've known several few folks (as many others do) whom had loved ones with Alzheimer's/Dementia, not something I would ever want to have to deal with. They are horrible diseases for the person whom has it, worse I think for those loved ones around them.

The scariest part for me is that CWD is not a virus or bacteria its a prion and hence its almost impossible to exterminate. How many of us have had game processed in the same facilities that CWD infected cervids had been previously processed? CWD in my opinion is not something we should just shovel under the carpet.

My understanding of those tests is that it was not transmitted by simply injesting the meat.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My understanding of those tests is that it was not transmitted by simply injesting the meat.
In that you are 100% wrong. You need to learn to read BEFORE you go posting non-sense. Eat the CWD meat or not, your choice but do not spread false info, unless you believe the Federal Government run Canadian Centre for Disease Coontrol and the Alberta Prion Research group are putting out fake news?

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html
Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
In that you are 100% wrong. You need to learn to read BEFORE you go posting non-sense. Eat the CWD meat or not, your choice but do not spread false info, unless you believe the Federal Government run Canadian Centre for Disease Coontrol and the Alberta Prion Research group are putting out fake news?

Since when can u trust the federal goverment ?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 PM

Mane you can answer. Why here in Alberta the test deer heads for it but I don’t here anything about moose being tested in the east of the province
Old 07-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Mane you can answer. Why here in Alberta the test deer heads for it but I don’t here anything about moose being tested in the east of the province
Population of deer is far more then that of moose. Kinda like s.a.r.s in a major city its considered an epidemic. S.a.r.s in a hamlet is a isolated incident.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Great post. Just to add... from what I've read about primates being infected, in those studies they found that the CWD took 5 or more years to manifest after exposure in some of the monkeys.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-10-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Right back at you...

On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentation and slides[PDF 3.88MB]), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Hey dont go getting all emotional and go f@#$ING up this thread with stuff like I can't read and am spreading false information. I used statements like "to my understanding" and "I think"

To my understanding I do not think they proved that the monkeys could pick up cwd by simply eating just the meat. They also fed them brains. If you do the research the prion proteins are in the brain, spinal cord, urine. So did they feed a monkey meat from a cwd positive animal and it ended up with cwd? or was it all of the above oh and we put it in direct contact with their brain. Duh! that's exactly where it ends up and does all the damage is in the brain.

Not trying to spread fake news or misinform just looking at it from different persectives.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:

x2 You shovel CWD under the carpet and it may be your worst move,you may want to think it over and study this thing that has no way being exterminated.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:38 PM

In this crazy PC world we live in, what is the single "legitimate" reason we have for hunting? I say legitimate, tongue in cheek.

Consumption of good organic meat! So what happens when the powers over us decide that it's no longer eatible? Who is fanning the flames here in at least alberta? Who benefits from continued and expanding "research?" Don't know about you but the whole thing is suspect in my mind.

Call me crazy I really don't care. I definitely see the possibility of gov't eradication and no legal hunting in the very near future.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Wow, a whole year for test results?
I intend to deer hunt Eastern Ab this upcoming season for the first time. I must admit I lack a lot of knowledge on CWD and most of that stems from spending most of my time in the 400's. I do realize that the positive result percentage is fairly low but waiting that long for results seems absurd.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
In this crazy PC world we live in, what is the single "legitimate" reason we have for hunting? I say legitimate, tongue in cheek.

Consumption of good organic meat! So what happens when the powers over us decide that it's no longer eatible? Who is fanning the flames here in at least alberta? Who benefits from continued and expanding "research?" Don't know about you but the whole thing is suspect in my mind.

Call me crazy I really don't care. I definitely see the possibility of gov't eradication and no legal hunting in the very near future.
Could not agree more. Well said
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 PM

Can’t understand all the hoopla. One one hand They spend all kinds of money to test for the disease and then on the other hand they take deer from the cwd zones and release them west of red deer.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 AM

I was just wondering if cwd affects pronghorn? If I am successful filling my tag (if I even draw it), will I need to submit the head?? Sorry if that’s a stupid question!!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM

If would have to be a real frosty day in hell before anybody with any authority in the Government, Medical or food industry would lay claim to CWD jumping the bridge to humans. With CWD prions in the food crops through out the bread basket of the US and Canada if it would be proven the prion can mutate and infect humans it would have world food supply and distribution implications. Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease can lay dormant for 20-30years before it becomes active, how long can CWD lay dormant in a healthy human? We are probably nearing that threshold. Could be a sky is falling knee jerk reaction from some of the masses or if could be a reality in the future. Interesting just checking on some of the facts and supposed fiction.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
Wow, a whole year for test results?
I intend to deer hunt Eastern Ab this upcoming season for the first time. I must admit I lack a lot of knowledge on CWD and most of that stems from spending most of my time in the 400's. I do realize that the positive result percentage is fairly low but waiting that long for results seems absurd.
Totally agree. Turnaround needs to be way quicker. A week or 2 max.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM

I watched an interesting video today about CWD, I’m sure many of you will enjoy it, while others will not. Here is the link to the YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/hd8m-EGHbk4
Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 AM

Lol, love the Nuge. He for me is entertaining as hell to listen to. Not certain of his medical/scientific credentials however. I do agree on his viewpoint on Bureaucratic A-holes particularly those south of the 49th... absolutely priceless!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 AM

Guys just continue to respect CWD and BSE. Get your heads tested if hunting higher CWD WMU,s in eastern Alberta. In UK a few years back when BSE was at high numbers the Prion CJK in humans also went up exponentially.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:37 AM

It only took about 4 weeks to get our results but the heads were submitted November 1st and 2nd. I think that heads should be submitted from all parts of the province so the spread can be monitored and hunters can be informed and up to date. Last year there was a positive result by Tofield, that's pretty close to the center of the province. We had 1 positive but it was from Camp Wainwright, a yearling buck.
Doug
Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
It only took about 4 weeks to get our results but the heads were submitted November 1st and 2nd. I think that heads should be submitted from all parts of the province so the spread can be monitored and hunters can be informed and up to date. Last year there was a positive result by Tofield, that's pretty close to the center of the province. We had 1 positive but it was from Camp Wainwright, a yearling buck.
Doug
Ya but what about the guys that get one the beginning of September. I don’t even think they put the freezers out until sometime late October. There is a lot of room for improvement in the testing I think we can all agree on that.