Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 07:05 PM

I agree with what Nube said.

MM
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
If you make them full curl it will put a ton of pressure on other zones especially for the first few years till the sheep grow a bit. Nobody will want to hunt there for a while and in the meantime it will put a ton of pressure on other areas.
One thing I did also learn on my trip to Redcap and to the mine in Cadamin is that those reall old big rams a ton of them never make it to full curl. I was quite surprised at it really. And the ones that were full curl I will admit I would have a way harder time trying to judge a full curl ram vs a 4/5 and would expect a lot of rams to get shot that did not make full curl becasue it is tough to see. Seems harder than 4/5 anyways for me but maybe that is because I have had a lot of experience with the 4/5 and not the full curl zone stuff.
More peolpe would be hunting elswhere if these wmu's went on draw than if they were open and full curl.

Exactly, those rams are safe from hunting ( for now) until the population goes past the 5%.

Just trying to find an option to keep these wmu's off the draw.

Quote:
I have pretty much stayed out of these sheep topics but I guess I should spit my 2 cents out.

I think the sheep herds are doing fine personally in most areas. Yes some of them need help.
I also think we can debate for years and never come up with the best solution. It seems to be happening for the past few months already.

As for a guy who shoots the crap out of the sheep as much as I do I will say that the only thing that would detour me from sheep hunting and killing another would be waiting longer after I did and I would be more willing to pass up more rams to get a bigger one than shoot whatever I felt like.

I don't mind waiting for a draw if I know I will be able to have a good chance at a good ram but this is a dangerous slope and I think it would end up being stupid long wait times to get a tag. There will be more people that would sheep hunt because there would be another draw and people some reason don't really think about what is involved and they put in for a draw just for the heck of it. I know 2 people with Bison draws this year and never went after they got the tag.
Guys would also put in their wives, cousins, brothers and whoever else to get a tag for a sheep even if their Wife, cousins, brothers or whoever has never hunted in their life. It happens now for the Cadomin draw. Your wait times for drawing a sheep tag will end up like the States.

I do not know the answer and I do not think there is a good answer to the problem. I am glad that there is an interest to find the best scenerio but I think we should be careful for what we wish for.
Yup, I agree too.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:08 PM

I appreciate your thoughts Walking buffalo as you seem to have a normal head and actually think unlike a lot of guys that just spout stuff out without thinking.
I am wondering if that in those few years that the full curl zones are recovering that we will put in danger the rest of the zones and have to put them on a full curl zone because the sheep have all been shot up is all.

The fact is I have not seen proof of the sheep numbers decreasing except in a few easily accessed areas that have their own issues in them. Until then I do not understand why we would want change and why anyone else would either. It is not he outfitters as it would cause them more grief and possibly loosing some tags which is not a chance they want to take.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts Walking buffalo as you seem to have a normal head and actually think unlike a lot of guys that just spout stuff out without thinking.
I am wondering if that in those few years that the full curl zones are recovering that we will put in danger the rest of the zones and have to put them on a full curl zone because the sheep have all been shot up is all.

The fact is I have not seen proof of the sheep numbers decreasing except in a few easily accessed areas that have their own issues in them. Until then I do not understand why we would want change and why anyone else would either. It is not he outfitters as it would cause them more grief and possibly loosing some tags which is not a chance they want to take.
Couldn't have said that better myself.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo gulo View Post
Ok, after talking to a few Bio's it appears that the sheep populations in the province in most areas are doing fine. In fact the willmore area is actually high right now. The proposed change comes from apos as they have been lobbying SRD to reduce the amount of residents on the mountains in hopes of having a more quality hunt for their clients who are spending the big dollars.

It is important for the for the members of this forum to realize that the 5 year wait will NOT increase trophy potential. It will only change who shoots the sheep.

As born and raised Albertan I know as many of you know that this province was bulit on hard work and sweat. We work hard and play hard. I feel it would be unfair to punished those same hard working, taxpaying, Albertans(who own the resource) for busting their butts off on the mountain.

Cheers
To have sheep permits is a definite priveledge, but it has gotten way out of control.From the day that they were saleable it has lost the real reason to be in the mountains. I have guided in the Willmore 30 years ago and was instructed to walk skylines for days before Resident season opened as to drive the rams into the brush until later in the year when just the Non-residents were out there.There are many ways APOS is shafting the residents of this great province by having a direct line to Edmonton.The money the outfitters are putting up for tags is on their own accord,and some may think that they are prostituting our wildlife.