Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Pat Garrett convicted again?

The news article is dated April 20th, 2016 so it is kind of old news but a search on here didn't turn up anything. Maybe I missed it and if so just nuke this thread...

I'm sure Pat is a hell of a great guy but he sure seems to have a problem with staying within the law.

It will be interesting to see if his suspension is extended to Alberta as it was alluded to in the news article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...tion-1.3543879

An Alberta hunting guide who failed to read the fine print of a Yukon court order has been fined $3,000 for ignoring a hunting prohibition in the territory.

Pat Garrett, 40, pleaded guilty in Yukon Territorial Court this week, acknowledging he won't be hunting in the Yukon again any time soon.

Garrett was first convicted in 2014 and fined $10,000 for guiding illegal bear and caribou hunts in the Tombstone region of the territory.

That conviction carried a seven year ban on any hunting-related activity in the Yukon.

Last August, while investigating a questionable sheep kill by a reality TV crew, Yukon conservation officers found Garrett packing for the team.

Court was told Garrett had no idea he was in violation. Garrett and his employer both claim they simply failed to read details of the entire court order.

Garrett, an oil rig foreman who lives and works near Edmonton, runs an outfitting business with his family that takes hunters to the Fort McMurray area in the spring to shoot black bears.

He is an experienced big game guide, and world famous for his hunting prowess.

A Youtube video shows him celebrating the 2012 sheep kill that made him the world's youngest hunter to take all 29 species that make up the so-called "Super Slam of North American Game".

Prosecutors say a reciprocal agreement between Yukon and Alberta could see Garrett barred from hunting there too.

The prohibition holds for another five years.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 PM

Yeah there was a thread on it a while ago but it got deleted and we must never speak against the hero of Alberta outdoorsman no matter how many times he breaks the law. Hope you don't get banned for posting article.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Yeah there was a thread on it a while ago but it got deleted and we must never speak against the hero of Alberta outdoorsman no matter how many times he breaks the law. Hope you don't get banned for posting article.
In all seriousness, why do they keep getting deleted? I see threads about some Chris guy that's an outfitter from Athabasca that never get deleted, and they get pretty personal without any articles attached.

I don't know this Pat guy aside from the odd deleted threads I momentarily see, was he a major sponsor or a founding member?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
In all seriousness, why do they keep getting deleted? I see threads about some Chris guy that's an outfitter from Athabasca that never get deleted, and they get pretty personal without any articles attached.

I don't know this Pat guy aside from the odd deleted threads I momentarily see, was he a major sponsor or a founding member?
I'd say he's a personal friend of someone that controls the strings. I expect this thread to disappear into the sunset as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 PM

I do t know exactly what he has been convicted for but he is still outfitting up a storm and hunting according to his FB page!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Not the case. But if memory serves me correctly these threads always get out of hand. Here is the opportunity to prove us wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'd say he's a personal friend of someone that controls the strings. I expect this thread to disappear into the sunset as well.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Sad because I used to really admire his accomplishments.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sad because I used to really admire his accomplishments.
That's gotta be even worse than the penalties for the offenses, there is definitely a shadow of doubt cast upon the ethics of the accomplishments. I realize that with success comes the inevitable critics, but this is definitely ammo.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 PM

I don't know Pat from a hole in the ground but the guy has some amazing stories and been on more hunts than most of us ever will in 10 lifetimes.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 PM

Default Not all

Not all poaching charges are created equally.
I don't know Pat Garret's, but from what I've read, I would call his crimes "Soft Crimes". Law breaking none the less, but certainly not in the category of "Ruthless poaching SOB's" often seen in the news and on this forum.
I think he ended up with a target on him.
I once knew an RCMP Staff Sgt. Many years ago, he was on a Salmon trip and was caught with one to many, made news highlights. This was a squeaky clean kind of guy, (the kind of officer we sure could use these days.) but he made an error and almost paid the price with his career.
Did he poach, yes I suppose he did by virtue of his error, but was it news worthy, I don't believe so.
Maybe I'm wrong about this Pat fellow, only know what I read.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Banned

^^^^ that's what I read from it^^^
Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:

That thread was getting a touch out of hand and I wanted to wait until the news was released. He has his last day in court on the 20th for the Sask charges and his house was raided the other day and now has AB charges. Rumor is they never got him for everything they wanted but got him for some.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
That thread was getting a touch out of hand and I wanted to wait until the news was released. He has his last day in court on the 20th for the Sask charges and his house was raided the other day and now has AB charges. Rumor is they never got him for everything they wanted but got him for some.
Oh ya, that's the other Chris that's in trouble, I was talking about a different Chris.

The Chris you're talking about I'm actually pretty dissappointed about. I know the guys at Wild TV and usually get passes for the after party at the events. I had a few beers and shared a few stories with the fella you're talking about and actually enjoyed his company, kinda sad how things turned out..... Maybe? I have no idea about any of his charges whatsoever so I can't judge. That's the thing about Pat too, from any of the things I've read about his charges they all seem like minor offenses. There might be something I'm missing, because a 5 year hunting ban seems pretty stiff, I think you only get 3 years for poaching a deer no?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
That's gotta be even worse than the penalties for the offenses, there is definitely a shadow of doubt cast upon the ethics of the accomplishments. I realize that with success comes the inevitable critics, but this is definitely ammo.
Yessir, I wasn't a critic. I thought it was great the way he balanced a wife & family, pushing a rig, & able to plan & execute countless hunts as well.

Doesn't pass the red-face test that he is the packer on another questionable sheep hunt that was being investigated by F & W
Old 07-15-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I don't know Pat Garret's, but from what I've read, I would call his crimes "Soft Crimes". Law breaking none the less, but certainly not in the category of "Ruthless poaching SOB's" often seen in the news and on this forum.
I once knew an RCMP Staff Sgt. Many years ago, he was on a Salmon trip and was caught with one to many, made news highlights. This was a squeaky clean kind of guy, (the kind of officer we sure could use these days.) but he made an error and almost paid the price with his career.
Did he poach, yes I suppose he did by virtue of his error, but was it news worthy, I don't believe so.
A former boss of mine once told me that anyone can make an innocent mistake, but when a person starts making mistakes repeatedly, you have to wonder just how innocent the mistakes really are.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 PM

Let he who is perfect cast the first stone........
Doubt there will be many stones thrown
Old 07-15-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A former boss of mine once told me that anyone can make an innocent mistake, but when a person starts making mistakes repeatedly, you have to wonder just how innocent the mistakes really are.
This ^^^^^

And hunting / guiding in a wildlife corridor is far from a little accident and knowing that you are on probation should make you 1000 times more diligent about the rules and staying on the right side of the law.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
This ^^^^^

And hunting / guiding in a wildlife corridor is far from a little accident and knowing that you are on probation should make you 1000 times more diligent about the rules and staying on the right side of the law.
There are many AO members that have never been convicted of an offense under the Wildlife Act, let alone been convicted multiple times. As far as I am concerned, there is a very good reason for that, and it isn't just that the people that have been convicted multiple times were just unlucky.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Not sure why this issue is brought up again.

A guy gets a half dozen speeding tickets and folks here are advising him which is the best radar detector.

I heard that Pat pled guilty, and faced the music. Time to move on. If he made another error, I'm sure he'll man up and take responsibility. I think he's that kind of man.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

This..
Old 07-16-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Oh ya, that's the other Chris that's in trouble, I was talking about a different Chris.

The Chris you're talking about I'm actually pretty dissappointed about. I know the guys at Wild TV and usually get passes for the after party at the events. I had a few beers and shared a few stories with the fella you're talking about and actually enjoyed his company, kinda sad how things turned out..... Maybe? I have no idea about any of his charges whatsoever so I can't judge. That's the thing about Pat too, from any of the things I've read about his charges they all seem like minor offenses. There might be something I'm missing, because a 5 year hunting ban seems pretty stiff, I think you only get 3 years for poaching a deer no?
He had 7 charges for Saskatchewan I believe and one was federal I think. Not sure what Alberta charges he has now but it was enough to get a warrant and raid his house of guns and mounts while he was not even home. And im pretty sure he had a case dropped due to some errors that were not on his part before all this.

Just what iv read. Someone on another site seems to know updates and has been passing them along.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
He had 7 charges for Saskatchewan I believe and one was federal I think. Not sure what Alberta charges he has now but it was enough to get a warrant and raid his house of guns and mounts while he was not even home. And im pretty sure he had a case dropped due to some errors that were not on his part before all this.

Just what iv read. Someone on another site seems to know updates and has been passing them along.
Who ever it is talking doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.....
NO charges or guns and mounts were taken.
I don't get why things can't be just left alone unless there is fact and it has been dealt with
Old 07-16-2016, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Pot meet kettle...
Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 AM

Guilty is guilty don't protect the law breakers!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortwheez View Post
Who ever it is talking doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.....
NO charges or guns and mounts were taken.
I don't get why things can't be just left alone unless there is fact and it has been dealt with
So the person who called and said f&w are across the street at his house removing those items was making it up?

Interesting
Old 07-16-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not sure why this issue is brought up again.

A guy gets a half dozen speeding tickets and folks here are advising him which is the best radar detector.

I heard that Pat pled guilty, and faced the music. Time to move on. If he made another error, I'm sure he'll man up and take responsibility. I think he's that kind of man.
Wow!!!

This is different, he is held to a different standard, he is a hero to some.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Wow!!!

This is different, he is held to a different standard, he is a hero to some.
I don't personally know Pat, but I do know the circumstances....do you?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
No and no, but usually where there is smoke there is fire, there seems to be a lot of smoke follwimg him around.
It's unfortunate that some might look at his amazing accomplishments as tainted.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What are all the charges because didn't something happen last year or the year before that's kind of related to the most recent charges?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
This attempt by so many to downplay the severity of the charges is part of the reason poaching continues to be a large problem. One of the many things he was convicted of is shooting an animal in a Wildlife corridor. The Outfitter that hired him turned him in because he apparently didn't think that was a "soft crime". Now he is convicted of more things and being investigated on others.

Rarely is there that much smoke without fire. Makes me wonder how many things he has gotten away with in the past and don't tell me to wait till there is hard evidence. A leopard doesn't change its spots. Current behaviour is an accurate predictor of past behaviour and future tendencies. This many convictions he should be barred for life from hunting or guiding. Not the kind we want teaching the next generation of guides.