Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Hey Guys wondering if anyone has Special area 4 Map. Thanks
Old 11-02-2016, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up This is great

Does someone have the bottom half of the Vulcan county Map?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Just added a very old Acadia (2001) map to the list and I will update the Flagstaff Map shortly.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM

looking for special area #3. any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-07-2016, 11:01 AM

Does anyone have a land owner map for the MD of Smoky River?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM

Looking for the MD of Provost?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 PM

Could we make this a sticky?

Super handy post for a lot of people.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:56 AM

I agree this should be a Sticky I also made the Good drive Favorite on my computer
Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Default Fantastic

Thanks for this!
If anyone has MD of Greenview, that would be great
Old 11-27-2016, 04:44 PM

This is an awesome thread. Thank you very much. Does anyone have the Willow Creek map ?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Does anyone happen to have a rockyview county map??
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Default Just curious

Just curious. Is this not in a way illegal?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Yes, this is way illegal, but no one seems to care.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Hmmmm

Not tying to shake anything up but why is it that I post something debateable and it starts to really open eyes and get attention, it gets deleted by the Mods. I respect them but that's kind of...well you know.
Ps- don't get me wrong because I could care less for the queens printer and the majority of the foolish fees we pay.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:22 PM

Default 25+ Land Owner Maps - Feel Free To Add More

Sharing a map isn't illegal. If you were selling it, that would be illegal.
These are county maps, created by the county and not specifically for anyone else but them. Yet there's no good reason not to share them. These are not retail maps. Places like Maptown just reprint the map and triple the price, which is usually just cost. They used to all be free btw.
This is not like "sharing" someone's intellectual property like a song or movie for the simple means of entertainment.

My uncle used to sell maps to schools for decades.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 AM

Default It likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Sharing a map isn't illegal. If you were selling it, that would be illegal.
These are county maps, created by the county and not specifically for anyone else but them. Yet there's no good reason not to share them. These are not retail maps. Places like Maptown just reprint the map and triple the price, which is usually just cost. They used to all be free btw.
This is not like "sharing" someone's intellectual property like a song or movie for the simple means of entertainment.

My uncle used to sell maps to schools for decades.
Isn't the point of having to pay for a map equal across the board. Map town just reprint las because they have the rights at least I think so. Anyways moving on
Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
Isn't the point of having to pay for a map equal across the board. Map town just reprint las because they have the rights at least I think so. Anyways moving on
Most if not all of these are available online with no charge.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Maptown buys rights to sell them. Think if these maps as the phone book. I can share the data/image of the phone book pages all I want. I can't sell it though.
Let's say I have a large stamp collection, and I take pictures of it. Let's assume you'd like to see the pictures to study or just observe them. I'm free to show you them, and you can download the images but that doesn't mean you can use them as stamps or sell them as stamps.
Think of Maptown as the corner store that sells stamps for the post office. Or as Staples that will print you off a copy of the picture for a fee.
Some counties put their maps online, for free. They charge you for a hard copy because the paper and printing costs them, that's all.
If the counties really wanted to they could copyright these maps and go after every penny they could for them. Yet we're talking about a form of government here. We all pay quite enough in property taxes not to worry if the counties aren't profiting of landowner maps. Which by the way is just an overlay of our information on a map. Maybe I should get a cut of the profits since I've contributed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 AM

Take the Internet out of the equation and it should get clearer.
Rather then this forum imagine we all met at the local gun club. We all brought our maps and shared them with each other. Even making copies of each other's map.
Seem "illegal" then? Sharing isn't illegal, selling is. Napster didn't get busted because people were sharing things, but because they were profiting from it.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 AM

I called a southern alberta county before hunting season and I asked for the digital copy of the map and the clerk told me I couldnt have a digital copy because of FOIP but then said I could stop in and buy a hard copy. I told him that I would still pay the price if he could just email me instead but that was a no go. If it is just distribution online that they are worried about then they shouldnt sell to the general public regardless. Provide copies to the local FD and rcmp and that's it.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM

Again, most of the maps were found online at the applicable county site.

They were downloadable.

Here is an example

http://www.athabascacounty.com/servi...es/county-map/
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 AM

The counties do indeed own the copyright on the map itself, and can enforce it if the choose to. Scanning of a map is illegal, photocopying a map illegal. The presentation of the map is copyrightable regardless of whether the data in the map is copyrightable.

Also, map town does not have any special rights whatsoever. Some counties don't even know (or care) that MapTown re-sells their maps. The county prints the maps, and sells the map to whoever wants to buy them, in whatever quantity they want to buy them. MapTown simply re-sells them at a higher price. They don't violate copyright by doing so. If they bought one copy, and made copies of that to sell, there would be a problem.

Most of the counties that have a pdf online allow personal use (non-commercial). If its not a PDF online, and someone has scanned it in and is sharing it online, then that is a clear violation of copyright.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
The counties do indeed own the copyright on the map itself, and can enforce it if the choose to. Scanning of a map is illegal, photocopying a map illegal. The presentation of the map is copyrightable regardless of whether the data in the map is copyrightable.

Also, map town does not have any special rights whatsoever. Some counties don't even know (or care) that MapTown re-sells their maps. The county prints the maps, and sells the map to whoever wants to buy them, in whatever quantity they want to buy them. MapTown simply re-sells them at a higher price. They don't violate copyright by doing so. If they bought one copy, and made copies of that to sell, there would be a problem.

Most of the counties that have a pdf online allow personal use (non-commercial). If its not a PDF online, and someone has scanned it in and is sharing it online, then that is a clear violation of copyright.

Ya ok. Do you think the counties made all the base maps, or just overlaid the landowners and sections?
I guess printing off map directions from google is criminal too?
Scanning a map is illegal? Hmm. That's down right funny honestly. Last time I checked I could scan whatever I wanted to. I guess I'm a criminal.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM

The county (or a subcontractor) does make the maps. They use openly available layers in some cases (like road network, railway network, etc) and also purchase some of the layers (private land property boundaries), and then put in all the landowner info. Its not the source of the data that matters, though. Copyright does not apply to data, it applies to the presentation of data and the output that comes from it (the map).

Whether you can use it for non-commercial use depends on the definition of "fair use" by the courts trying the case.

In the case of Google, they grant you a license to print maps and use their services for non-commercial use ( https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html). The counties do not provide this license.

I'm not saying that you are going to get prosecuted, but its not legal from a copyright standpoint.

Anyways, I'm not going to debate copyright laws any more. The laws are pretty clear and any google search on the topic returns the same results.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
artistic work includes paintings, drawings, maps, charts, plans, photographs, engravings, sculptures, works of artistic craftsmanship, architectural works, and compilations of artistic work

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...age-1.html#h-1

Quote:
Reproduction for Private Purposes

Marginal note:Reproduction for private purposes

29.22 (1) It is not an infringement of copyright for an individual to reproduce a work or other subject-matter or any substantial part of a work or other subject-matter if

(a) the copy of the work or other subject-matter from which the reproduction is made is not an infringing copy;

(b) the individual legally obtained the copy of the work or other subject-matter from which the reproduction is made, other than by borrowing it or renting it, and owns or is authorized to use the medium or device on which it is reproduced;

(c) the individual, in order to make the reproduction, did not circumvent, as defined in section 41, a technological protection measure, as defined in that section, or cause one to be circumvented;

(d) the individual does not give the reproduction away; and

(e) the reproduction is used only for the individual’s private purposes.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...e-9.html#h-27U
Looks to me maps are subject to copyright laws. Also seems you can't freely decimate the information contained within them.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Default Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Looks to me maps are subject to copyright laws. Also seems you can't freely decimate the information contained within them.
That's proof in the pudding. It doesn't matter if you take a picture or whatever means of reproduction, it's still considered copyright infringement if it is distributed. That doesn't mean that everyone is in trouble because t is extremely hard to monitor.
If I take my copies I purchased and print them or scan them for myself to vary with me in a mobile device or in my pack, that's ok as it's personal use but to give them to others for free is both nice and illegal.

I think if the county is giving them away than good on them but if someone need to buy them from a source like IHunter or Maptown than there has to be some bounding to it.

Look, my point here was about the fact that there is quite a bit of Bias on the Forum as of late. Some peoples posts cause great conflict yet are freely open for debate just about anywhere; if there's any issue with the person than warn them with good reason not based on personal views. If it persists than ban that individual instead of deleting the topic. Kids are kids and if the Mods can't control them over a strong debate, than there's no use to even have them. (by them I mean Debates).

HF
Old 12-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Well I'm glad that my thread made it back to the front page...
Old 12-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrox View Post
Well I'm glad that my thread made it back to the front page...
Don't get me wrong now. I sure as shootin' ain't no cop nor one of them thar' law-er types.

Thanks are in order for the nice gesture. Going to a new area and having to track down when the county office is open. Just to buy the maps is a real pain.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Don't get me wrong now. I sure as shootin' ain't no cop nor one of them thar' law-er types.

Thanks are in order for the nice gesture. Going to a new area and having to track down when the county office is open. Just to buy the maps is a real pain.

Doesn't bother me one bit... All of the maps I posted were maps I found, legally, online. Don't really see how putting them all in one place for my fellow hunters constitutes copyright infringement...
Old 12-02-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrox View Post
Doesn't bother me one bit... All of the maps I posted were maps I found, legally, online. Don't really see how putting them all in one place for my fellow hunters constitutes copyright infringement...
I wish all of the counties would just do the same as Federal Government and just post maps for free.