Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredviking View Post
I defer to those seem to know different on the CWD head submission. Is it part of the WMU732 package?

I am firmly aware of the oil and gas at Suffield - I have worked there myself. There are lease fees paid to offset these costs and the communication in this case is a dialogue. Hunters, especially at $9.00 for a pair of tags, can only be contributing through their taxes and their wildlife certificate. A different kind of public.

I don't disagree there is an issue with the elk population and it needs resolution. This is not unique, as our good intentions often over achieve. A similar elk issue is likely to loom in 102/104 in the next 10 years.
Bingo ! Millions of surface lease monies exchange hands for the oil and gas activity at CFB... Our group at 9 buck, or even the 33 won't pay to turn the lights on for the morning briefings

Enjoy your day all, headed out to check a few miles of fence and mend accordingly...
Old 12-13-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A very good post that requires one correction.

There is a requirement for these elk heads to be turned in for cwd testing.

The potential for cwd within the herd is a concern effecting both the urgency in obtaining a population reduction and a reason why these animals can Not be relocated.
Why do they not collect elk heads in wainwright?

LC
Old 12-13-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Why dont they collect the heads from the zones around the base?
Old 12-13-2014, 03:24 PM

I think i'll apply for the 2nd Febuary hunt,just because I know I can get them days off....I'd love a calf elk!!!!,hopefully one of us 3 in the Family gets drawn.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 PM

I'll be putting in.. this year was a bust and I need meat in the freezer.. hope I get drawn..
Old 12-13-2014, 11:09 PM

What do you guys think the chances of getting this tag is? It sounds like lots of people are applying for it.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:20 AM

Seems pretty darn slim to me....sounds like everyone will be throwing in for this one, me included.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:14 AM
Banned

A bit confused here....what's the sense in applying as a party of 2,if as stated,(and if correct?)it's either 4 tags or nothing?
7 pages of nonsense/misinformation.....possibly the worst AO thread of 2014?

....oh yea,and if I draw tags for this,can I still hunt General Elk fall 2015?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:46 AM

Cant be serious, no confusion grinr,
Your question has been answered 5 times in the 7 pages.

TBark
Old 12-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
what's the sense in applying as a party of 2,if as stated,(and if correct?)it's either 4 tags or nothing?

....oh yea,and if I draw tags for this,can I still hunt General Elk fall 2015?
The sense would be to hunt together. Some guys don't want to hunt alone or have to deal with a large or 2 large animals on their own. I have a 17 yr old son that I would have to accompany. Why just put in for him? I might as well hunt too.

This is a BONUS opportunity. It will NOT affect your 2015 plans or draws.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Default Painful read

I think this thread was one of the most painful threads to read…It's not rocket science!

2 quota hunts with 125 licences per per hunt, 2 tags per hunter and a max of 2 hunters applying together. Quota hunts don't affect priority, have anything to due with the tags you already hold and since it's still the 14/15 season it has nothing to do with the 15/16 season.

It's no wonder we have the mistakes that we have during hunting season...

A great opportunity for hunters wanting to help with wildlife management and put some extra meat in the freezer.

Quote:
All ungulates harvested at the Camp Wainwright hunt (deer, moose an elk) are tested for CWD. As for why there isn't mandatory testing for elk or moose off base…good question. I doubt anyone on AO though can answer that question. If you are truly concerned ask Margo at ESRD and post the answer.

S
Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I think this thread was one of the most painful threads to read…It's not rocket science!

2 quota hunts with 125 licences per per hunt, 2 tags per hunter and a max of 2 hunters applying together. Quota hunts don't affect priority, have anything to due with the tags you already hold and since it's still the 14/15 season it has nothing to do with the 15/16 season.

It's no wonder we have the mistakes that we have during hunting season...

A great opportunity for hunters wanting to help with wildlife management and put some extra meat in the freezer.

All ungulates harvested at the Camp Wainwright hunt (deer, moose an elk) are tested for CWD. As for why there isn't mandatory testing for elk or moose off base…good question. I doubt anyone on AO though can answer that question. If you are truly concerned ask Margo at ESRD and post the answer.

S
It is pretty straight forward. Just glad it' during the week and if someone really is a hunter and conservationist at heart, that should eliminate some draw entries.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Why dont they collect the heads from the zones around the base?
I should have been more clear...

This above ^^^^ why do they not test elk heads off the base?

I will drop Margo a note as Shedcrazy suggested and see what the reply is....

LC
Old 12-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post

S
No kidding... But saying that you are assuming some guys on here are Rocket Scientists!! Lmao! Far from it...
Old 12-14-2014, 03:55 PM

This is, with out a doubt, going to be a hard tag to get. What I was wondering if you think it is possible for them to narrow down the chances and say that anyone who has been drawn for an elk already this past hunting season, is not eligible for this hunt. Just to keep it fair. People will say that they were drawn but didn't get one but I say atleast you had the opportunity to get one. They should be able to know easy enough who was drawn for an elk already.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM

I hope everyone has an opportunity to take part in the harvest. Hoping to get drawn myself. See the Elk everyday so be nice to get some meat. Good luck to all that puts in for the draw.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatken View Post
This is, with out a doubt, going to be a hard tag to get. What I was wondering if you think it is possible for them to narrow down the chances and say that anyone who has been drawn for an elk already this past hunting season, is not eligible for this hunt. Just to keep it fair. People will say that they were drawn but didn't get one but I say atleast you had the opportunity to get one. They should be able to know easy enough who was drawn for an elk already.

Again, this is a standard quota hunt. They're not going to create new rules for it. A quota hunt is simple...everybody can apply and priority is not awarded nor taken into account. There could be some people who already hunted this year who will reapply. However I think that number will be low. People who have already hunted this season and have any sort of normal job will have already taken a week off to have done the hunt. I don't reckon too many people will be able to do that twice in one year. But then I could be wrong I guess. I'm sure they'll be a few I just don't think there will be many.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:37 PM

Sweet i have been waiting for this to happen.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Default Suffeild elk

I will definitely be applying and I would consider putting the rest of my family in separately to increase the odds of one of us getting the draw, but what if more than one of us pulled the tags!? We don't need more than two elk, so I guess I will just put in by myself. This sounds like a good opportunity at some great tablefare and a chance to "get acquainted" with the base just in case I'm lucky enough to get a bull draw in there next fall! Fingers crossed!!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:23 PM

Sorry if these q's have been asked...

If I'm lucky to get drawn:

What's the approx wait time for the CWD results?

What's the average age of a cow elk at suffield, any idea?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
What's the average age of a cow elk at suffield, any idea?
I don't know but I'll tell you when we were dropping off heads from the hunt we were on, a guy came in with one that had an ear tag that aged the cow at 18 years. There's one for the grinder I figure!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 AM

Can I hunt from a helocopter ? Hehe .......really though, why not if you can aford it lol?
What an opportunity, think I will put in for it, wife and I didn't get drawn this year for elk. 2 Elk would be fantastic, toyota would be a tad weighted down though just have to pull cargo trailer, cfb probly won't let me shoot from a chopper let alone lend me one for a few hrs, and F&W seems to resever chopper hunts for themselves..... One can dream......
Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 AM

It's going to be very cold early February and those cows are going to have big fetuses in them (EW!). So don't apply for the draw please, that way I can get me some elk. J.K. Good luck everyone.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Does anyone know if they have age restrictions on the base? I've looked it up in the draws booklet and online and I don't see anything...i'd like to apply with my 12 yr old son...not sure if they restrict minors?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Default field dressing???

do they allow field dressing of harvested animals on the base or do you have to take em out whole and find a suitable location for field dressing?????
Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Does anyone know if they have age restrictions on the base? I've looked it up in the draws booklet and online and I don't see anything...i'd like to apply with my 12 yr old son...not sure if they restrict minors?
I'm not sure how many questions on this thread are legit vs people trolling but when in doubt call and ask.

The hunt is during the week while the kids are in school. Also, the elk will be on the run and this is not the optimal hunt for new/ inexperienced shooters. Just a heads up some good confidence/ shooting skills are beneficial as they want these tags filled. We had no problem filling tags at under 200 yards but many others complain of long shots at moving animals.

Not related to this post but i would suggest a 4*4 should be mandatory, the hunt could be nearly impossible without navigating some fairly steep icy roads (I've been out there for 3 hunts so this isn't speculation).
Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Do you get a pick of which week you want to hunt? Or can you go both weeks if you want?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:52 PM

can i use a crossbow?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Will the weather be nice?

Are elk delicious?

Which gun/calibre is best?

What if I have to go #2?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Check ur email, notice went out today.

Message from Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development

Antlerless Elk Quota Draw for CFB Suffield

ESRD in partnership with the Department of National Defence at CFB Suffield are going to be holding a quota hunt for Antlerless Elk at CFB Suffield (Wildlife Management Unit 732) in February of 2015.

Any Alberta Resident that is eligible to hunt can participate in the random draw application process.

The application period will open at 9:00 am on Monday January 05, 2015 and will close at 11:59 pm on Wednesday January 14, 2015.

Draw results will be available beginning at 9:00 am, Tuesday January 20, 2015. At this time, licenses will be available for purchase.

There will be two, four day hunting opportunities as follows:

February 02 - 05, 2015
February 09 - 12, 2015
For more information please visit:

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...uota-hunt.aspx

Send this to a friend | Unsubscribe

Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
Fish and Wildlife
9920-108 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2M4
This email was created and delivered using Industry Mailout