Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 PM

Default Rubber paving

Curious if any of y’all have any knowledge of rubber paving and if you do have it how do you like it?

Thinking of getting my dog run & maybe front sidewalk/driveway done with rubber paving.

An approximate pricing/recommendation on contractors would be appreciated as well!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:06 PM

My neighbor two doors over had his driveway, front walk and concrete front porch done with it about 3 weeks ago. I was over at his place two or three days ago and he noted that he was going to have the product placed over his back patio. I'll ask him who he used.

You've not noted your location, including that info will help people refer you to someone local.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
My neighbor two doors over had his driveway, front walk and concrete front porch done with it about 3 weeks ago. I was over at his place two or three days ago and he noted that he was going to have the product placed over his back patio. I'll ask him who he used.

You've not noted your location, including that info will help people refer you to someone local.
Oops!

Located in leduc!

Thanks caber
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Leachate from rubber is toxic to the environment. Check with any product you go with to see how they explain away the issue.

Playgrounds are moving away from it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Leachate from rubber is toxic to the environment. Check with any product you go with to see how they explain away the issue.

Playgrounds are moving away from it.
So ? ..not to start an argument..but pavement which is made from oil...is less toxic..?
I think they moved from hard rubber to sand (gravel) in playgrounds was a safety issue...(if you eat rocks you only have hard stools). But if I am wrong I am sure others will correct me.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

i'd be interested to find out where they got it from as well
Old 08-22-2019, 12:40 AM

Neighbors at the end of our block just did their driveway, looks really sharp.

Not to derail but wouldn't it be a PITA to shovel in the winter? Can't see a shovel gliding over it like it does concrete
Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Default worked in Red Deer

My oldest sister and her husband had it done in Red Deer: front driveway, sidewalk, rear deck, and walk to garage. They loved it, said it really easy to shovel off snow. Dogs and cats loved it too, never tore it up. Dog actually preferred to sleep on it lol.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
So ? ..not to start an argument..but pavement which is made from oil...is less toxic..?
I think they moved from hard rubber to sand (gravel) in playgrounds was a safety issue...(if you eat rocks you only have hard stools). But if I am wrong I am sure others will correct me.
Reasons for moving back to fine aggregate like sand or pea gravel was a combination of cost and leachate issues.

Rubber leachate is a different beast than asphalt. I didn’t do toxicity studies on asphalt. Just rubber.

Eating wasn’t the problem with rubber as they went from a granular product which was a total mess to a formed solid sponging product. While popular for a bit it was very pricy and our climate and sun was not helpful.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 AM

If it's made from tire crumb, would it not be just as toxic/safe as tires?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
If it's made from tire crumb, would it not be just as toxic/safe as tires?
Can’t speak to tires. Just did the leachate toxicity testing years back.

My understanding is that there is a roofing product made from rubber that was also toxic.

People can’t do their research and make a decision.

I read a report about the rubber shingles being a problem for neighbors.

Hail bounced off one roof and smashed the neighboring homes.

My gut says concrete will last a lot longer than rubber and won’t come with any leachate issues.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Can’t speak to tires. Just did the leachate toxicity testing years back.

My understanding is that there is a roofing product made from rubber that was also toxic.

People can’t do their research and make a decision.

I read a report about the rubber shingles being a problem for neighbors.

Hail bounced off one roof and smashed the neighboring homes.

My gut says concrete will last a lot longer than rubber and won’t come with any leachate issues.
Never thought of the toxins involved. But aren’t roads being made from the same materials as well?
I was curious about the product for a dog run as it hides stains and cleans easier than concrete.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Never thought of the toxins involved. But aren’t roads being made from the same materials as well?
I was curious about the product for a dog run as it hides stains and cleans easier than concrete.
Not 100% up on the comparison however they are two different products. Rubber versus asphalt. I didn’t do any toxicity testing on asphalt roads.

My guess is some oils and chemicals leach off a road shortly after paving. Likely given the long chain hydrocarbons involved there is not long term leaching akin to rubber.

Rubber continues to breakdown and leach throughout its life. Lots of components to degrade.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:09 AM

The son in law had his driveway done in Morinville this summer. He likes it so far and it looks great. Call Champagne Edition Inc out of Legal Alberta and they can help you out. Ask to speak to Amanda.