Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 07:11 PM

Default plumber or electrician question???

Hey guys got a question for you. I plan on hooking up my slab heat soon in my house and garage. I have a power vented hwt and just need help answering a question about a controller.

I will have a stainless steel grundfos pump on the domestic side feeding hot water to the flat plate exchanger. on the other side I will have a glycol solution and two grundfos pumps for 2 zones. 1 zone will be the basement and the other will be the garage. I can wire the stainless pump up to run 24/7 and make this whole post pointless, or I can get a 2 zone controller and make it more efficient.

this is the controller that I think I need.
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-SR50...witching-Relay

My question is which terminal would I pull power from to energize the circ pump on the domestic side. I need it to run whenever there is a call for heat from either of the zones. I would make the basement the priority zone and the garage on the other zone.

this has to be very simple, I mean if it will start a boiler when there's a call for heat it should be able start a pump when there's a call for heat.

thanks guys
Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 PM

A set up like that will have you a bit short of your full domestic hot water capacity whenever the slabs are calling for heat. There's no incorporation for priority within such a configuration. Though a timer could be incorporated into the power supply to it so that the slab pumps can't run 20 minutes before and throughout your typical bathing/ max domestic hot water usage times.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 PM

more than likely the garage slab wouldn't get heated that often as I have a 45000 btu modine hawt dawg hooked up. but I would like to get the basement running as we are finishing the basement soon and the floor is cold.

Would that controller work? which terminals would a person hook up to too run the domestic pump?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:46 PM

The isolated end switch (xx connection) could be used to energize an external relay to start your system pump. It is a dry contact (has no power). That is the contact used to fire the boiler in a normal setup .
Old 12-31-2015, 12:58 AM

Tamas panel.....

Does exactly what your talking about.

That being said, how big is your tank. I hope it's at least a 75 gal. In doing so, heating your basement should be fine presuming its around 1000sqft. Adding on your garage and I would make a wager your showers won't be very warm.

If you are on a 50gal tank, don't even bother.