Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Default Navionics card for Canada

How many Alberta lakes are on the Canada Navionics card?
I usually fish North of Edmonton. Does it have much for lakes up north? I can't find a list or anything online.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:17 PM

Type Navionics on google.
Canada
Lake list
Scroll down to Alberta.

Found it in less than a minute.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 AM

Thanks
That is a tonne of lakes.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 AM

The quantity of data on the Navionics Canada card is not the issue. It is the QUALITY of the data that is. I bought a Navionics HotMaps Canada card about 4-5 years ago and it had the rough outline of the lakes and the old 1950's government depth soundings on it in a sporadic grid across the lake. There were gross inaccuracies in the shore contour and the depths. I had times where the map showed I was fishing 100 yards up on shore because the shoreline was inaccurate.

If I were you I would save my money for a unit that has the base maps built in and allows you to chart in real time using your depth soundings, or uses a community built map. This results in a much more accurate map for your use.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM

The Navionics Canada+ card is fairly good. You should get lake outlines and decent coverage of the major lakes, but like was posted above, the quality of the actual depth contours will not be all that good.

If you use a Lowrance sonar unit, check out this site and see if any of the lakes you fish are on the list and have some coverage. The map quality of the Social Maps will be FAR better than anything on the Navionics cards, and they are FREE to download, just sign up for an account.

https://www.genesismaps.com/SocialMap

If your Lowrance unit is an HDS Gen3 or newer, Elite TI, or Hook2, you can also create your own maps just by plugging any blank microSD card into your machine.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Thanks for the info

That is some pretty cool technology
I struggle with an I-phone (hence the double post) so I was hoping to just plug a card in and go.
So,an SD card will work in the bottom of my Hook 4 for my own map? Just put the card in log sonar and the contours show up on my chartplotter?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS View Post
That is some pretty cool technology
I struggle with an I-phone (hence the double post) so I was hoping to just plug a card in and go.
So,an SD card will work in the bottom of my Hook 4 for my own map? Just put the card in log sonar and the contours show up on my chartplotter?
If your Hook 4 is the new Hook2 4, which was new last year, then yes, it's just that easy.

If your Hook 4 is the older original version, then unfortunately, the answer is no. That technology won't work with your unit.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Navionics has what they call webapp which will show you exactly what will be on a navionics card. It will show you what lakes it has plus what details it has of those lakes.

If you press the little icon in bottom left of the screen and switch to sonar charts you will see more detailed information(on some lakes anyways). This is information you can download from the Navionics website. After you download the information you have to change a setting on your fish finder to view this data, I don't know if it works on all fish finders or not.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...key=cgjfIb_qtT

As walleyedude mentioned you can use genesis maps if you have a Lowrance unit and the maps on there are far more accurate but coverage is limited especially up north. Unless you have a fish finder with dual card readers you can only use one or the other(Navionics or Genesis Maps).
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM

The Hook and Hook2 units do not do any live mapping.

It has to be as mentioned the HDS Gen 3, Carbon, Elite Ti or the new HDS Live or Elite Ti2
Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
The Hook and Hook2 units do not do any live mapping.

It has to be as mentioned the HDS Gen 3, Carbon, Elite Ti or the new HDS Live or Elite Ti2
Actually the Hook2 units do offer live mapping. Not the genesis live mapping you are thinking of but they do have sonar charts live capability (requiring Navionics card).

Kind of surprising that they didn't make the new genesis live mapping work with them as well, they must be capable of it...