Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Banned

Default early season fishing the NSR?

Hello all,I'm considering the NSR for some early season walleye and possibly sturgeon.My question is,are there open water areas in the Devon area or west? I have fished west of Devon before and have had good success but I live far enough away that I don't want to venture too far to find out the water isn't open or there's too much ice floating down stream.

Last edited by Icehole; 03-14-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Still too early around Devon for now...some of the edges are starting to break up but not fishable. Check back in a couple weeks maybe..
Old 03-14-2016, 03:28 PM

There are a few spots in Edmonton that are open but I haven't seen anything out of town yet.

What time of the year do sturgeon run through the Edmonton/Devon/Fort Saskatchewan area? I always thought they were a mid summer/fall fish. I might just try for one this year.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
There are a few spots in Edmonton that are open but I haven't seen anything out of town yet.

What time of the year do sturgeon run through the Edmonton/Devon/Fort Saskatchewan area? I always thought they were a mid summer/fall fish. I might just try for one this year.
I was just put onto a sturgeon hole last summer and am not real educated with sturgeon but a friend has caught several 30-40lb sturgeon in this hole along with a few walleye in the 10lb+ area.My biggest is 8lbs so far.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 PM

That's very nice! Shoot me a pm one day if you'd like to have some company. I'd love to try and get some sturgeon!