Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Sako 85

LOOKING at getting a left hand sako85 30-06 any pros or cons about this gun thanks ,
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM

I have a greywolf in .260. Action is sweet, trigger is adjustable, 3 locking lugs, good barrel and action, little bit heavy but I like that in a rifle. Just don't lose the mags as their about $180 bucks but made of steel and you can seat your bullets wayyyyyy out there.

Good rifle I have heard some complaints about the "Mag" rifles, not being well balanced etc. I sure do like mine in the "mid" sized caliber action, just wish it was 6.5X55.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM

Lots of pros, no cons IMO

Great rifles you won't regret it....Well u would regret selling it, which i have done and do now.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Default Find the one you want and buy it.

I have a few of them in the family. And we love them. I will buy one more so we each have one. 338wm for me. 270wsm for the boy. And 243 for the wife. Just have to find one for my daughter. But she is only 4.

Great rifles. Shoot like a dream. Look and feel and fit great. They will be a great legacy to the family for many generations.

Figure out the caliber you want and keep and eye on the buy and sell or CGN. They come up in both places once and a while. Mine will never go up for sale while I am breathing. But other do sell them occasionally.

They are expensive but the quality for an out of the box rifle is amazing. Look at it as an in investment. You will always be able to sell them for a good dollar if you have to. I am at way less than $100 a year on my 338 from when I bought it. It will last me till I am too old to shoot it ( them someone in the family will trade me for it )m I had all kind of stuff till I broke down and bought the Sako.
Sakos have been a great deal for me and will continue to be a great deal for my family for a very long time.

No, I am not a Sako sales guy. Just a hunting dad who wants to have good quality stuff to use and hand down to the kids and their kids and the great grand kids.

For luck in your search.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:22 AM

My buddy bought one last year exactly like the one you want but in a right hand bolt.
He wishes he had bought one years ago....LOVES IT.....NO REGRETS.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Lots of pros, no cons IMO

Great rifles you won't regret it....Well u would regret selling it, which i have done and do now.
There was a thread over on CGN about a fella that bought a new 85 and put a nice S&B on it, the gun would smack the scope with the empty cartridge when he ejected it and it ended up wrecking his new scope. He then detailed the problems with getting replacements.

Sounds like a big con to me.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
There was a thread over on CGN about a fella that bought a new 85 and put a nice S&B on it, the gun would smack the scope with the empty cartridge when he ejected it and it ended up wrecking his new scope. He then detailed the problems with getting replacements.

Have an 85 in 25.06, Sako Optilock rings and bases (low), Zeiss Conquest scope (1" tube 40mm bell). No contact from spent casings. I don't know why guys are having problems.....but I've heard everything from 30mm tubes being the problem or target turrets being the problem. I have no cons with an 85.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Have an 85 in 25.06, Sako Optilock rings and bases (low), Zeiss Conquest scope (1" tube 40mm bell). No contact from spent casings. I don't know why guys are having problems.....but I've heard everything from 30mm tubes being the problem or target turrets being the problem. I have no cons with an 85.
I don't know either, and I don't own one to say, but perhaps its the newer 85's, the OP asked for pro's and con's I posted a con I read about.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Sako Optilock rings (low) with any other ring manufactured would be consider high or extra high. If you want to bring scope within 1/16 - 1/8 to barrel or receiver, Sako long action rifles will not eject empty casings. Ejection angle is wrong and tip of the case hits bottom of the scope and falls back to receiver. Short action Sakos don’t have this problem because cases are shorter and have enough room to clear the scope.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1 View Post
Sako Optilock rings (low) with any other ring manufactured would be consider high or extra high. If you want to bring scope within 1/16 - 1/8 to barrel or receiver, Sako long action rifles will not eject empty casings. Ejection angle is wrong and tip of the case hits bottom of the scope and falls back to receiver. Short action Sakos don’t have this problem because cases are shorter and have enough room to clear the scope.
My 85 in 338 ejects cases flawlessly. Never gad a problem with Sakos and I bought 3 of them this year.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post

I have had two 85's myself and did not have that issue...
Old 11-09-2013, 12:49 PM

My grey wolf in 300 wsm does seem to eject at a steep angle. That said. I don't see it as a serious problem. I am using the extra low options, but they are still quite high in my view.

It could mark a scope, but certainly not break it.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM

I have a Sako Kodiak with low Sako ring mounts. I had to turn my scope 90 degrees left to get the turret out of the way. I didn't have any issues with the 1.5-5x20 leupold I originally had mounted, but with the 2-7x33 the turret was in the way.
Best handling rifle I've ever shot!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:21 AM

My 85 Med. action length , 3006, has a 1 inch tube scope with extra low optilocks milled down an extra 1/8" which brings the tube even closer. Never had a problem, seems to be a specific rifle issue to me, either you have it or you dont, maybe its an ejector issue or operator issue, but it seems to be split amongst owners..

Last edited by cleanbore; 01-03-2019 at 04:23 AM. Reason: j
Old 01-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Sako 85 grey wolf

What a beauty of a rifle!

What does one of these go for?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
I have a Sako Kodiak with low Sako ring mounts. I had to turn my scope 90 degrees left to get the turret out of the way. I didn't have any issues with the 1.5-5x20 leupold I originally had mounted, but with the 2-7x33 the turret was in the way.
Best handling rifle I've ever shot!
am I reading this correct.....you mounted your scope with the windage dial pointing up and the elevation turret facing the left side of the rifle?? this does not seem like the solution I would be satisfied with after spending $$$ on a sako
Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
am I reading this correct.....you mounted your scope with the windage dial pointing up and the elevation turret facing the left side of the rifle?? this does not seem like the solution I would be satisfied with after spending $$$ on a sako
Well it was done almost 6 years ago so he'd know by now if it worked or not. If he's still on this forum maybe there will be an update.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:21 AM

My son had a new greywolf in 270wsm. It would not eject a case without hitting the windage turret on a Leupold vx3, 1" tube. Everyone of them would fall back into the action no matter how hard you worked the action. I tried low and medium optilock bases but still did the same thing. I sent it back to Stoeger and they did some work on it. It elected better but still would have 1 case hit the turret every few cycles. I complained enough and they exchanged for a new greywolf in 7mm. It was sold new in the box.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Well it was done almost 6 years ago so he'd know by now if it worked or not. If he's still on this forum maybe there will be an update.
Well dang...didn't check the dates......