Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Smith and Wesson Model 629 Issues

So the revolver is a 5" model, shoots all 240 Gr bullets into a nice 2" cluster BUT the sights are fully over to the right, very odd sight alignment in order to get the grouping to the bulls eye....initially when the rear sight is centered she groups well off to the left...so start moving rear sight to the right and grouping moves over.....then the sight is way off to the right. Any one experience this? Read some on the internet and they say send it back in as there is a alignment that is required to be done by a gunsmith.
Thoughts, trouble shooting before it goes back to S&W?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2018, 11:30 AM

Sounds like you got the gangsta edition. You have to hold it at a 45° angle...

Sorry someone had to say it.. sounds like barrel not lined up properly?
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM

I would assume they will swap out barrels.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:11 PM

S&W has had this problem for a longtime. Contact Murray and hopefully they will fix you up as they are the S&W warranty centre. My 686 was the same. Even though they did do some straightening it was still off more than what I thought it should be. I ended up taking rear sight off and installing a rail and reflex sight.
I was looking at a couple new 629’s the otherday at a gunstore in Calgary and one was so bad I can’t believe they tried selling it.

http://murraycharltonenterprises.com/contact.html
Old 12-28-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
S&W has had this problem for a longtime. Contact Murray and hopefully they will fix you up as they are the S&W warranty centre. My 686 was the same. Even though they did do some straightening it was still off more than what I thought it should be. I ended up taking rear sight off and installing a rail and reflex sight.
I was looking at a couple new 629’s the otherday at a gunstore in Calgary and one was so bad I can’t believe they tried selling it.

Thank you!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post

Sent him a email, all other tolerances checked out within spec, just maybe a tweak on the barrel to bring it all true, she groups well all 6 shots 1.5" at 15 yards just don't like the look of the rear sight over to the right.....my perspective should line up and maybe just be slightly left or right.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sent him a email, all other tolerances checked out within spec, just maybe a tweak on the barrel to bring it all true, she groups well all 6 shots 1.5" at 15 yards just don't like the look of the rear sight over to the right.....my perspective should line up and maybe just be slightly left or right.
Thanks again for the help.
I had Murray repair a 28 I bought off of CGN that needed some work that wasn’t disclosed from the buyer. He did an awesome job of repairing the issue and had him do an action smoothing and it is unbelievable now. By far my favourite revolver. Going to send him a 14-3 with 8” barrel I bought and have him do the same to it.
As far as my 686 it was much better but it was still a little off which irratated me but I like shooting it with the Reflex sight now at 25 plus yards as my 61 eye old eyes don’t see so well at that range.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:35 PM

Yours wouldn't be the first new one to do it...and I'm assuming it's a new one with the 5" barrel. I had one, it was ok, but sold it soon after I got it. Liked the barrel length, but the fit, finish, and accuracy weren't even close to my old 629-3 with 6" barrel and silhouette sights (it also has an unfluted cylinder which looks good). That's a forever gun for me.

Send it to Murry C as recommended, he will square it away. Or sell it and look for an old 629.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-29-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yours wouldn't be the first new one to do it...and I'm assuming it's a new one with the 5" barrel. I had one, it was ok, but sold it soon after I got it. Liked the barrel length, but the fit, finish, and accuracy weren't even close to my old 629-3 with 6" barrel and silhouette sights (it also has an unfluted cylinder which looks good). That's a forever gun for me.

Send it to Murry C as recommended, he will square it away. Or sell it and look for an old 629.
WhAt year did they start making the 5" barrel as this gun was bought used?tight, very nice trigger etc just puts all 240 gr rounds 1.5" grouping at 15 yards but the sight is moved to the right, I guess not bad for crude sights and I am sure with a little tweaking it will get better.....groups shot only so far with commercial ammo....gonna play with some home rolls.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 PM

If it was a 5946 pistol I could tell you how to fix it . Used to lots of tuning to bring barrels into alignment with sights !