Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Verney-Carron Sagittaire ?

Im not sure how common these O/U rifles are but I see a few for sale on Tradex. I've wanted a double for decades and these look like they would make a great back-up rifle for guiding or even an all purpose hunting rig. Anyone have any experience with them? I see Tradex even has a Tikka O/U I didnt even know Tikka made one!

Happy New Year and good luck to all in 2019!
Old 12-31-2018, 10:38 AM

Default o/u rifles

Nothing against VC directly, but o/u rifles are notorious for being poorly regulated ( barrels shooting to the same POI). this is one of the reasons they are so much cheaper than the sxs doubles.
After having personal experience with this (Fabarm model), I would never again buy an O/U rifle without the opportunity to shoot it first. check out other forums, and search this topic. Forums like Accurate Reloading, and Nitro Express
Old 12-31-2018, 11:20 AM

I have owned two o/u express rifles .
One was a FAIR in 6.5x55 and it was accurate , regulated at 50 meters .
The other wasca Tikka 412S tgstvivsokd and baught back again .
It is in 9.3X74R and is accurate at 200 meters .
Lots of fire power in a 286 grain bullet!
My son now owns that rifle and it has a jack screw to adjust the bottom barrel to regulate it with the top which works well .
The Barrels are made by Valmet and it has a set of 12 gauge barrels that are built for it by Morochi, a QD scope mount and NECG peep sight as well as a set of Briley 28 gauge tubes and dies
Everything works super in this rig!
One thing I did notice when I owned it is that the tubes only weigh 12 Oz but that equates to a noticeable difference when using them
Cat
Old 12-31-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Nothing against VC directly, but o/u rifles are notorious for being poorly regulated ( barrels shooting to the same POI). this is one of the reasons they are so much cheaper than the sxs doubles.
After having personal experience with this (Fabarm model), I would never again buy an O/U rifle without the opportunity to shoot it first. check out other forums, and search this topic. Forums like Accurate Reloading, and Nitro Express
Agree completely. In both double rifles and O/Us, unless the barrels have a system to adjust their regulation, like Baikal, Chapius and some Valmets, and Merkels you are stuck with what you get. Make darn sure the barrels are properly regulated, the VC eXS has adjustable regulation and come in true LH, other VC models are not adjustable. If you buy one that is not adjustable make darn sure you can send it back if they aren't properly regulated.

VC is a very large producer of O/U and double rifles. They are not near the quality of a Hym but overall not too bad.