Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2016, 01:28 PM

Default Who took you fishing for the first time?

well for me

its was my mom(86yrs old) fishing from shore

I was in my baby buggy and my older bro played making sand castles

Mom was catching Rainbow Trout

Dad was working in the Pulp Mill

Ocean Falls BC 1957 or before

here is my mom in 1950 n a rowing boat with rod

so who took you?

this is for Mariko Izumi !!! Pic to back me up.. she asked question on Saturday at Edmonton Boat and Sportsman Show

I answered and won tickets to Fly Fishing Film Tour 2016 at Yuk Yuks

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 03-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:38 PM

That's awesome!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:46 PM

I got invited by my friend and his dad around 1980 (I would have been 8), fished Mortons leam from the bridge just north of my home town in Cambridgeshire, we used bronze maggots and I caught a Roach .
Great evening!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Default Dad

but Mom was often along, even when there was some serious hiking and bushwhacking involved.
First times were actually out of Key West, Florida. Dad was a RCN pilot and squadron leader, and got posted there on an exchange with the USN for 1958-59. The Canuck pilots, on rotation, had a nice boat they shared (as transferred the new guys would buy out shares from the departing guys) and we would head out in the ocean all around the keys. I was only 4-5 and my memories are very vague. But I recently found pictures (having retrieved all the old albums when my Dad moved to a care unit), including one of my brother and I sitting in the back of the old Ford wagon behind a haul of big king mackerel. Don't know that I pulled any of those in, but I do remember simple bait jigging for smaller prey around some wrecks and reefs.
When we returned to Canada (Onterrible and NS) it was mostly bushwhacking stream fishing (Dad liked to get off the beaten track) for brookies. But my love for it led to me always having it as part of my life, and when I was able to head out to the woods on my own or row our punt out on the lake by myself (from about age 9) or with some buds, it became my first choice of activity. We were lucky enough to live in places, throughout my childhood, where we could literally be fishing within a few minutes of our front door. And when we went on road trips as a family, there was almost always some fishing component to the trip.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:07 PM

It would have been my Dad, but I don't remember the first time he took me out.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:08 PM

My dad took me when I was too young to remember and we have done lots of fishing together all my life. I feel very blessed to have grown up fishing with both him and my late grandfather and continue that tradition with my kids as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:28 PM

Default My dad

Like most ppl my dad took me I bout 3 and I remember very vividly the experience. We were fishing on the st Lawrence river near Cornwall Ontario my dad set me up with a worm and bob and I remember filling a whole pail full of perch , I remember my dad tied on a yellow marabou jig ( I know what marabou is now &#128512. It wasn't very long before I was running towards mom screaming " mommy!mommy! Daddy caught a big spike come see...."
Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 PM

Great thread.
It was my dad and uncle in an old boat they new about on this lake in NW Saskatchewan. Had to drive through fields bush roads then walk in. They found the boat got it in the water used willow branches for a make shift dock on top of the black loon poop. I had an alder branch with a line and a bobber dropped over the side. We caught a lot of perch that day. Must of been 1966 or so.

Both my dad and uncle have passed on. I'm sure they're fishing or duck hunting everyday now.

BW
Old 03-13-2016, 10:55 PM

I bought all my fishing gear myself with my allowance and money from my paper route when i was about 13. Back in the UK pole fishing was popular on the canals, imagine a rod with just one eye at the top. line was cut to length so your catch would come back to your hand when you lifted the pole vertical (no big fish in the canals apart from the odd pike).

Used to catch Gudgeon and Perch regulalry.

So with me buying all my own gear, I used to take myself fishing at the weekends. Parents werent that interested,So i taught my brothers how to fish too

Finally started Carp fishing when i had a vehicle and a steady job.

Just found this image of a massive Trophy Perch caught in the UK.

Last edited by jonkemper; 03-13-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 AM

That would have to be my dad.

got my first rod when I was 5 and although my memory is fuzzy I think the first fish I caught was either in Fawcett Lake or under the bridge at Grouard.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-15-2016, 01:00 AM

First time I remember was with my dad. We caught a big old dolly varden outside of sicamous and had er for dinner - ~1990.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:34 AM
Gone Hunting

My uncle took me in 1949. We fished at night on the water works dock in Amherstburg Ont. I caught two catfish and a rock bass. I was 'hooked'.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-15-2016, 04:02 AM

My grandfather took me out fishing for the first time in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina when I was about 10 years old. We didn't catch any fish off the pier that day but I remember watching someone reel in a nice shark from the shore that measured at the very least 5'. I didn't really keep fishing after that since my parents were never into it and my grandfather got really bad arthritis in his wrists, but I did end up buying all my own gear after I turned 17 and got my first car and real job. I wish I could have gone fishing with my grandfather when I was older but that's life I guess. I'm thankful he's still around so I can see the smile on his face when I show him the pictures of all the fish I catch.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Dad, upper quinsom lake Vancouver Island! Late seventies, only way in was along an old abandoned railway to lower quinsom and then walk the tin boat up the ice cold river to upper quinsom. Big cutt throats and Dolly's.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 AM

My Uncle I was two or three years old, at upper Kananaskis lake.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM

My dad, i remember him teaching me to catch dew worms at night then the next day we would catch bass with the worms we caught.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:30 AM

My dad took me out the first time when I was 3 or 4 I remember digging for worms the night before we left. He also took my boy out for blue gills this month in Florida

I have continued the tradition with my boy. Here he is last weekend at Slave he is now hooked on ice fishing he is 4 and half. He hauled this one out by himself and was so proud.

Last edited by SportHuntingHelp; 03-15-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Woulda been my old man...back around '84, or so. I remember catching a hammer handle snake that first time. My real fishing "teaching" came from the grandfather (mom's dad), though....he was really passionate about it.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Two of my older brothers.
We would bike down to a creek not far from our house and catch what we called "chubs" and suckers. Willow rod, 5' of line with a j-hook baited with a earth worm. I spent a lot of time down there growing up.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:43 PM

My dad I guess when I was about 6 or 7. I took a long break though from the age of about 14 until about the age of 30. Now it is all I want to do most weekends. My first fish that I remember was likely at chain lakes, using corn and catching a sucker off the boat dock and not a trout. Haha.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM

I was unlike most kids, having never been fishing I would still get up in the mornings and watch fishing shows instead of cartoons. Mostly Bob izumi. Believe I must have been 6 or 7 when my parents bought me a little rod and sent me away for the weekend with my grandparents. I went out fishing on slave lake with the aunt and uncle who didn't like kids much haha! still remember caught my first walleye about 30 seconds in while my aunt was still showing me how to work the rod! Been addicted ever sence. Even got my dad into fishing and have been teachin him the ropes!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM

I regularly went fishing from a very young age with both my Grandpa and Grandma. One of my earliest ever memories was catching a perch (while casting spoons for pike) off a friend of our families dock, at their cabin on Mann Lake.

We used to go out there or to other lakes in that area almost every weekend and most of summer holidays as Grandma was a teacher. As soon as the truck was stopped I was hopping around waiting for the rods to come out of the camper. I'd stand out there all day and all evening, literally only coming in to eat. My cousin was there most of the time too and there was always some friendly competition.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-15-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post

Your Dad is a very lucky man!
Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Who took you fishing for the first time

My Grandpa got me hunting and fishing when I was knee high to a jackrabbit. Some of the best times of my life.