Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Default Pulling a Fifth Wheel to Alaska.

Planning a trip to Alaska this summer. Plan on going for 3 weeks. I would like to hear from someone who has pulled a 30' fifth wheel up there. We don't really want to live out of our suitcases for 3 weeks. But we could stay at some nice places for the fuel I would save.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Planning that trip myself, but there is a lot of info at rvnet.com
I also bought the book "milepost" full of info
Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Planning a trip to Alaska this summer. Plan on going for 3 weeks. I would like to hear from someone who has pulled a 30' fifth wheel up there. We don't really want to live out of our suitcases for 3 weeks. But we could stay at some nice places for the fuel I would save.

Wher ya coming from ? What route are you thinking ? My wife and I did the trip with a 25 ft trailer 3 years ago best vacation EVER !!! Lol
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Anything you are wondering about specifically?

There are some steep grades though the mountains, the roads are narrow and windy in spots, fuel is expensive and few and far between, and the scenery is amazing.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Banned

Truchu.. Obviously you have done this trip. It's very very high on my bucket list.

My thoughts were a smaller B Class motorhome and have a fishing boat of some sort. I would stay in Hotels when necessary or wanted and camp when I wanted. What would be your "Ideal" set up?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
Wher ya coming from ? What route are you thinking ? My wife and I did the trip with a 25 ft trailer 3 years ago best vacation EVER !!! Lol
Southern Alberta. Prince Rupert is starting to sound like a good place to head too. Then catch ferries from there. Go on 1 or 2 day trips on the ferry.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Anything you are wondering about specifically?

There are some steep grades though the mountains, the roads are narrow and windy in spots, fuel is expensive and few and far between, and the scenery is amazing.
Mostly cost. I burn a lot of fuel pulling that fifth wheel. 21 days in hotels isn't cheap either.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Be prepared to spend hours and I mean hours cleaning up once you get home. Dust will get into every nook and cranny not only in the RV but your truck as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
Mostly cost. I burn a lot of fuel pulling that fifth wheel. 21 days in hotels isn't cheap either.

Throw a tent in the back of the pick up an go...camp for a couple nights then hotel it for one. I took a tractor trailer from Edmonton to Kenai Ak. a few years ago I wouldn't pull a travel trailer up there on a bet, The fuel alone cost would scare me to death...and there is vast distances between fuel stations in places
Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 PM

I like your idea. Pulling a big 5th wheel is a pita. There is no real saving. And no tv or swimming pool or long running shower or security from undesirables or a laundry list of other things that suck about pulling your bed behind you

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Truchu.. Obviously you have done this trip. It's very very high on my bucket list.

My thoughts were a smaller B Class motorhome and have a fishing boat of some sort. I would stay in Hotels when necessary or wanted and camp when I wanted. What would be your "Ideal" set up?
I haven't , but as per internet forum protocol, I'm an "expert" in the matter.

I lived in Fort St. John and Fort Nelson for 7 years, putting 1,000s of km on the Alaska Highway though.

It's hard to provide an opinion as I don't know your exact situation. If it's just you and a significant other, I'd try to avoid the motor home unless you're planning on setting up camp for extended periods of time. The reasons being gas/diesel is expensive up there, if you were to experience trouble, it'll be alot easier to get a F250 repaired than a Dutchman, and if you want to leave the highway for some reason, it will be easier in a truck than motor home. My prefered option would be to truck camp, but that isn't for everyone, and grab the odd hotel here and there.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Pulled a 26 ft 5th wheel through the Yukon last summer.
Fuel stations are not an issue , more than enough around.
Fuel (gas) in Whitehorse was $1.33 not too bad I didn't think.
Yukon forestry sites are $12 / night firewood included.

Road from Whitehorse to Dawson City is paved but bumpy.
Kluane area is awesome should have spent more time there.
Put on 7400kms. Lots of windshield time.

Sorry no info on Alaska.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:15 PM

Brother went to the Yukon with his motor home. Nice trip they loved it but cracked the frame on the MH because he had a generator on the rear bumper, so I am thinking the roads were less then ideal.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Banned

we've been up three times....twice with a camper and once with a 24 ft holiday trailer;

gas is NOT a problem. if you're going on the ferry, DO NOT take a trailer.....it's a pain getting on and off, plus all the towns along the route are built on the sides of mountains and a pure pain to navigate pulling a trailer. lots of narrow streets and switchbacks. it's the very best way to travel though (Alaska marine hwy). you can visit all the places inaccessible by road (Juneau, sitka, ketchican) and you'll never forget some of those places!

also, you'll only have to travel that long road one direction if you take the ferry (did I mention the scenery along the ocean route is spectacular?)

get a camper and a truck big enough to carry it, and bob's ur uncle.....if you see a nice place beside a creek where you'd like to spend the night, pull in a do it. you can't do that if you're pulling a 30 ft 5th wheel.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 PM

Default Alaska

Took our 25ft. Kodiak 5th wheel up there several times selling carved antler.
The road to Inuvik was very dusty but to Alaska road was fine.
Get the book Milepost, it covers all roads mile by mile, showing where to fish, camp, by fuel, get supplies, get repairs ect. Get it now and you can plan a much better trip. We have a older 3/4 ton dodge diesel, loaded trailer weighed about 7000 lb, all no problem.
If you are buying souvenirs, shop on way up and buy on way back, you never know what item or price is ahead. Have fun
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Default Truck camper

Did the drive last fall to Dawson City then Top of the World hwy to Tok, down to Haines, ferry to Skagway, then down the Cassiar to Stewart /Hyder then on to hwy 16 then East back home to Alberta. 6,600 kms in a 1 ton diesel with a camper in the box. This was by far the way to go. It was work to keep everything on the road and in one piece at times. Truck campers were the majority on the road.
I felt sorry for those pulling holiday trailers. The roads are rough with no warning of whoopdeedoos, the hills are big, the scenery is spectacular and you will want to pull off on short notice into tight pulloffs, rest areas etc. Many times I turned around on the hwy to get a second look at grizzlies, caribou, etc.
I would also recommend going in September. The fall colours are spectacular. Also the highways are empty, the tourists are mostly gone and its just you and the road and mother nature. Have fun.
kidd
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM

Planning a trip to Tuktoyaktuk in the summer of 2022 for my 60th. Will be tenting and fly fishing all the way up and back. Plan to utilize this trip over 4 weeks. Will use hotels once or twice a week. Travel light and fast. Fish long and often!

BW
Old 01-15-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
Did the drive last fall to Dawson City then Top of the World hwy to Tok, down to Haines, ferry to Skagway, then down the Cassiar to Stewart /Hyder then on to hwy 16 then East back home to Alberta. 6,600 kms in a 1 ton diesel with a camper in the box. This was by far the way to go. It was work to keep everything on the road and in one piece at times. Truck campers were the majority on the road.
I felt sorry for those pulling holiday trailers. The roads are rough with no warning of whoopdeedoos, the hills are big, the scenery is spectacular and you will want to pull off on short notice into tight pulloffs, rest areas etc. Many times I turned around on the hwy to get a second look at grizzlies, caribou, etc.
I would also recommend going in September. The fall colours are spectacular. Also the highways are empty, the tourists are mostly gone and its just you and the road and mother nature. Have fun.
kidd
How long did that take you.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Default overlanding,this families doing it

This group is putting up good videos, imo, do the trip from your living room.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJS...8-iChAVCrXWTyA
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Yes get the Milepost but don't make cast in stone plans. need 4 to 5 weeks, 3 is too short.
I usually make 8 to 10000 km on the trip. Best is to drive one way and take the ferry back to prince Rupert but the ferries start getting booked up as early as January. A class C motorhome, camperized van or truck and camper is the best. I damaged my tag axle on a large motorhome due to the rough roads. Drive an older vehicle unless it's a company truck (lol), rough roads, clay and calcium chloride slime or dust. Fuel stations are adequate if you plan ahead. You will end up driving longer periods because of the constant daylight. It is a marathon drive and for me it takes a few years before I try it again. Fuel in the Yukon is expensive but then cheaper once you get to Alaska. On rough rippled roads your speed for many miles might be less than 60 kph.
Found some neat stuff to buy at home based businesses in Alaska plus the halibut fishing off Homer Spit. Everyone should go at least once in their lifetime.
Use a dash cam to record the trip.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Default 2012 Alaska trip.

We drove up in a SUV in 2012. 3 weeks took us from Edmonton to Skagway then took the ferries South to Prince Rupert. Then went back North to Stewart BC and Hyder Alaska then home down Hwy 16. I would not take a trailer personally. Only prep I did was put 10 ply tires on the vehicle fresh oil and filter. Couple of tarps, rope, small stove and bbq, axe, fire starter, blankets, pillows and a shore lunch kit. Best trip we have ever been on. Driving one way was enough, I would not be interested in dragging a trailer up and back. Freedom of a 20 foot vehicle made the trip easy and affordable, and I had no repairs or damage the whole trip, one place in Northern BC was $1.75 liter for gas. Most of the time $1.30 to $1.40. If going to Anchorage or farther 3 weeks is not enough. Next time I go I will drive to Prince Rupert and Ferry the Alaskan Marine hiway All the way up. The inside passage is incredible and we slept well on the Ferry, I think it was 3 nights and one way was $1000 Canadian. Was worth it in my opinion as they are only small rooms but we had a private bathroom and you don't spent much time in the room. Tons of wildlife, 33 bear (3 Grizzlies), wolves, coyotes, Fox( red and cross), seals, humpback/orcas, otters, porpoise, caribou and bison just to name a few. Dogfish

Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-15-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added some animals to the list.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Default Do it.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, just do it. I've done it pulling a 24 ft fifth wheel, and twice pulling a 26 foot bumper pull. I've also done it with a truck and camper. I've driven the road to Whitehorse probably 20 times, both direction as i used to live in whitehorese, never had a problem. Yes the roads can be a little rough in places but generally they are in pretty good shape. Take your time, Drive according to the conditions. Make sure your equipment is in good shape. The Yukon roads are not as good as the Alaskan roads. As others have said if you can take the ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert that is an awesome trip however it will be extremely expensive pulling a trailer as they charge by length. Check with the Alaska marine highway for prices. I did it in 2014 with my truck and camper and it cost me $1,200 us. But what a trip. Don't worry too much about the roads, take your time, and enjoy the scenery. I would say a white horse trip driving would be 2 weeks bare minimum to see everything in good time, if you go into Alaska you can easily add another week, or more. More is better. Doing it again next year with a bumper pull. Cant wait.

PM me if you want more info.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Been a decade since I drove the highway, but I did it 3 times towing a horse trailer. Fuel wasn't as much an issue back then. When you see a station, stop and top off. Carry a 5 gallon can with you and you'll be fine. The only issue with the highway was 1. the caravans of motor homes going way below the speed limit, 2. construction zones. I agree get the MILEPOST it is the Bible of traveling the Alaska Highway. I also agree that 3 weeks is too short. We drove up from Washington State area and non stop driving we could do it 4-5 days but that is absolutely NO sight seeing. You stop for fuel, food, toilet and one overnight in Whitehorse. WHICH I was very disappointed to learn there is not a Whitehorse there....lol
Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM

Some very good advice, thanks everyone. Anyone want to trade a 30' fifth wheel for a camper.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Default 17 days

Dale S we did the trip I mentioned in 17 days, but we only went across into Alaska to Tok and then back out same day. It was a Yukon Trip really. And Northern BC. WE made a point to travel 500km per day and had 3-4 days off to just chill.
kidd.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Planning a trip to Tuktoyaktuk in the summer of 2022 for my 60th. Will be tenting and fly fishing all the way up and back. Plan to utilize this trip over 4 weeks. Will use hotels once or twice a week. Travel light and fast. Fish long and often!

BW
I stayed in the Pingo Park motel at Tuk yrs ago. Bunch of Atco trailers connected together. They also have a rest. or did when I was there. Back in the early 90's it was quite pricey so I imagine it would still be quite hight.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
ur gonna want more time!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
This group is putting up good videos, imo, do the trip from your living room.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJS...8-iChAVCrXWTyA
Damn, that is AWESOME!

That guy sure has it all figured out. Thanks for posting.